Alberta Health Services (AHS) Provincial EMS website

HellsBells

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a huge fan. It's not as clear cut as I'd like it to be for EMS only, and I have never once read that "interchange" that goes around once a week or whatever it is. There's always a picture of some nurse or lab tech, and never anything related to what we do. I simply delete it anytime it comes it and only log into the AHS site if I'm required to.

I don't mind the AHS site - I don't got to it often, but there are some good articles that can assist with continuing ed requirements. I know one of mhy crew members used a good article on pulmonary embolism from that site as part of her presentation at a training session a couple weeks ago.

Now, if you had asked about the ACP website.... I hate that site...

In regards to the new AHS (AHSEMS.com) website that is accessable to all ambulance personal in the province. What do you all think of it so far? I have my own opinions, but I'd like to get some other input first.

I like it, it gives me a place to go and get all my competencies for the terrible ACP web site.

Sorry HellsBells,

I am going to hijack your thread....

Has anyone else received the "please do this survery to tell us what you think about ACP"?

I did the survey.... and was annoyed that there was nowhere to really put a lot of comments down...

I wanted to say:

What good is my vote for bylaws with my governing body when the council decided that it doesn't matter what I vote, they gave themselves the right to overturn the members' vote anyways? (specific example - after the 2008 AGM, members voted to stay in PAC for 2 more years, and in December that same year, the council pulled the membership; when I questioned it, I was quoted a regulation that the council put together which allows them to overturn members' votes). That isn't democracy. Where is my money going when over $200,000 was spent on computer based examining, and then it was shelved? ACP asked why we think that they don't do enough to educate the public about our profession (which is one of their mandates)... Why don't they have commercials like the RN's do, to reach the general public? Why don't I see them at career events and conferences, explaining what EMS does? Why does it appear that certain educational providers can maintain their certifications even though complete classes fail the ACP exam, and others have their approval to provide courses pulled, without proper explanation, even when they have an over 80% pass rate?

OK, my rant, and hijack, is over....

• 11 months later...

Sorry HellsBells,

I am going to hijack your thread....

Has anyone else received the "please do this survery to tell us what you think about ACP"?

I did the survey.... and was annoyed that there was nowhere to really put a lot of comments down...

I wanted to say:

What good is my vote for bylaws with my governing body when the council decided that it doesn't matter what I vote, they gave themselves the right to overturn the members' vote anyways? (specific example - after the 2008 AGM, members voted to stay in PAC for 2 more years, and in December that same year, the council pulled the membership; when I questioned it, I was quoted a regulation that the council put together which allows them to overturn members' votes). That isn't democracy. Where is my money going when over $200,000 was spent on computer based examining, and then it was shelved? ACP asked why we think that they don't do enough to educate the public about our profession (which is one of their mandates)... Why don't they have commercials like the RN's do, to reach the general public? Why don't I see them at career events and conferences, explaining what EMS does? Why does it appear that certain educational providers can maintain their certifications even though complete classes fail the ACP exam, and others have their approval to provide courses pulled, without proper explanation, even when they have an over 80% pass rate?

OK, my rant, and hijack, is over....

Revival of old hijack ... the information posted and the 2 page power point production at the AGM states there is an improvement in approval by ACP members (those that took the time to do the survey) ... and all this for 12000.00 so I was informed by a friend.

Remind me what the340$ is for?? Common courtesy would be to laminate my card and make "modules" somewhat accessible for the everyday practioner to be able to assess him/herself and not have to spend a couple months on how to figure out the dam thing out. I'm I alone here?

• Like 1

I believe the "survey" and the Con Ed were developed by one in the same monkey's. Con Ed takes longer to enter than the actual course took to attend and at the end of the day proves nothing in regards to competency.

Yes agreed "puke proofing the practice card" would be a very start, my passport is water proof and it only cost 50 CND. I bet for 12 G they could get a real nice "lamination machine " then again this is Alberta where it is illegal to laminate ones "receipt" type Fishing Licence. :iiam: I guess it never rains when your fishing in AB ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.