Paramedic Training Programs in San Diego Area

LoneRider

I'm considering going into EMS in the San Diego area (as a full fledged Paramedic) while being part of the California National Guard. My Army contract has two and a half years left to run and I'm getting stationed at Fort Irwin so I can check facilities out myself.

I've heard Miramar Community College has a good EMT-B and Paramedic program. Does anyone have any recommendations?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering going into EMS in the San Diego area (as a full fledged Paramedic) while being part of the California National Guard. My Army contract has two and a half years left to run and I'm getting stationed at Fort Irwin so I can check facilities out myself.

I've heard Miramar Community College has a good EMT-B and Paramedic program. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I don't know how many responses you have had? Here is my advice. You are assuming allot. First off the EMT-B program at Miramar is Good. The lead instructor is a great gal. The program is ALWAYS FULL, you will need at 3 months lead time being admitted to Miramar if you expect to get a seat.

It will take about 8 months to finish the program and pass the NREMT-B exam. Then you will need to work as A EMT-B for six months to qualify for a Medic program. Wages are 10.00 and hour or so, and you will not run any Emergency calls. EMT basics to not run emergency calls is SD city at all. All 911 goes thru SD Fire and San Diego Medical Services Enterprise AKA Rural Metro takes all calls along with a medic engine company. As an EMT-B you will run Inter Facility Transports, if you take vitals that will be about the extent of PT care. The reason for this is as a basic EMT you can't do much. I did not accept this ugly fact until I became and advanced EMS Provider. If you can't start an IV, you cannot change a PT status all that much. The EMT-B is outdated and needs to be updated. Allot of areas don't even use it anymore, they only have Intermediate and Advanced

Look at the DOT EMT-B national standards (google it).

There are Several BLS ambulance companies in SD but don't expect quality, expect CHEAP.......it BLS it does not pay. Medic school is about a year, you will need A&P as a prereq and it is competitive to get in. All in all expect 3 to 4 years before you are a.............full fledged paramedic. lol. Then the pay is 12.00 dollars an hour to start. CALL RURAL METRO SAN DIEGO AND ASK.

Now I not talking about being a Fire Medic which is a very long road, and SD is cutting services not expanding them so.......Chula Vista is closing fire stations....it could be 10 years to get a fire medic job. So........this is my advice. Check out www.trainingdivision.com look at what they have to offer, it is not for everyone but it can work to a persons advantage. I think you have a pre-conceived notion of EMS in San Diego that is not valid. If you are going to succeed and compete in this biz you need to be flexible, you need to want to be a MEDIC anywhere you can.

Also look at the wages, very low. Better option would be go to Nursing school and Challenge the MEDIC exam then you can work in the ED, on Life Flight or In the field. Check out Sunstar EMS in Florida they have a great program. They even have SWAT medics, guns and drugs. lol

I would not suggest spending 3 t o4 years to become a MEDIC, the scope of practice is limited and so is wages. I would say go EMT to RN to MEDIC Challenge. Then practice Emergency Medicine. If you are in the NG now see if you can change you MOS, and get military EMS Training.

There are lots of good Places to be a Medic Start learning today. If you email me I will give you some tips on books and ways you can put yourself way ahead of the game. I will not share with everyone.....sorry.

<div><br></div><div><br></div><div>All in all after the thrill of lights and sirens, you will want know you have money to sustain a descent life style. So.....why not start off with that in the balance.&nbsp;</div><div>There used to be a company in SD called Hartson. The company was fairly progressive, all medics wore flight suits, the rigs were great, we had a good time. Some of the Medics that worked there have become leading EMS Instructors. The Mosby MEDIC text is in part written by a MEDIC who worked at Hartson.</div><div><br></div><div>Check out JEMS.com Journal Of Emergency Medical Services. It will give you allot of info.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

Edited by bajamedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.