Non-english EMT test in USA?

tamaith

Do you think that an EMT who speaks Chinese or Spanish can not find employment in a hospital that caters to these communities? Or at a dialysis center for transport? Open you eyes, there are many opportunities for those who seek them. The EMT is an entry level cert. The communities these facilities and hospitals serve are over 100,000 people speaking a different language in an area. This is not just one or two patients to cater to.

It's understood by services that being proficient in another language is only an asset - that's why a vast majority of the applications that I've filled out ask that very question. There is one area here that has a large deaf population - are you saying we should go out and hire a deaf emt/medic to work specific to that area? No, because everyone understands that being able to hear instructions via radio is essential to functioning in the prehospital environment. But could one argue that they could go around with another partner to take orders - sure you could but it wouldn't be efficient. However, if you apply to the service and are proficient in ASL it is a definite benefit. I bring this up because you are talking about isolated populations that you may never see.

It seems you have overlooked the concern of they may understand the routine, but what about when they are in an unusual situation? What about when things aren't flowing so smoothly or there is a unique barrier? You learn to adapt. I have (and I am not lying here a bit) a patient which could not read and was deaf and mute. Sure she had the physical capacity to read, but could not. It made communication with her extremely difficult during the long transport, but we managed. The same applies to a person of a different language. You can manage - is it ideal - no, but you can make it work.

These EMTs probably won't be coming anywhere near you. I already stated that in another post that someone speaking Spanish probably will not be seeking employment in Indiana or Kansas.

Really? Ever heard of migrant workers? Many of these areas (especially with both indiana and kansas being large farming communities) have large migrant worker populations and BILINGUAL workers would be an asset - not workers who can only speak their native language. And what about in larger cities? Should you station those workers in the area that they can speak their language (ie germantown, chinatown etc?) as an employer I can tell you, it is highly unlikely any service is going to comply with that. You are put where you are needed. Yes, there are isolated populations that only speak spanish (and there are several migrant worker clinics catering to the only spanish speaking population) however they require the workers to be able to communicate with both english speaking and spanish speaking people. If you look at the requirements for EMS part of that is being able to communicate effectively - what are they going to do if they have such limited english skills that a doctor gives a request or order and they cannot follow? Then it falls back on the training institution. And while we're addressing training institutions and instructors - I think you need to look a little further into things before you make comments saying that they have limited training themselves and low requirements. Things are changing in that respect, and especially with some of the states having their EMS within the college system - technical or not it's the exact same system that is producing nurses, RT's, etc....something for you to consider.

• Like 1

Holy Crap. I have been reading this thread for a week or so now, trying to decide when to interject my opinion? Forget it, I've got nothing .........................................................................

• Like 1

Interjecting a thought, here: the other language EMT asking "What is a Blood Pressure"? Could it simply be bad grammar? Like the bad joke about character Charlie Chan, describing the Duke Ellington song, "Take A Train"?

Holy Crap. I have been reading this thread for a week or so now, trying to decide when to interject my opinion? Forget it, I've got nothing .........................................................................

Hahaha, smart move.

I feel the same way...I've learned to pick my battles here and this one seems like it has deviated from the original posters question and turned into a personal battle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.