San Diego EMS

LoneRider

In about two and a half years I'm contemplating going into the California National Guard after my active duty stint with the US Army expires. To those who know me I moved my commission from the US Navy after eight years of service to the US Army as an Engineer. I'm curious about EMS in San Diego. According to the website for San Diego Fire and Rescue EMS is handled by a third party working in conjunction with the fire department. Can anyone shed some light on this mystery?

When I was in San Diego it was Rural/Metro as the third party provider; that's the extent of my knowledge.

Oh I lie, they have red ambulances.

San Diego is an interesting city. 911 is handled ALS for every call. All City of San Diego fire is being handled by Rural/Metro. They are a third party company that are based out of fire departments, and run with FD. It's like a third party FD system. And then there are smaller cities like Santee, Lakeside, Oceanside, etc. where it is totally FD based, this grouping of FD based response in SD is called Heartland Fire. And yes kiwi, most of the rigs here are Red :P But Santee fire is white!

San Diego is an interesting city. 911 is handled ALS for every call. All City of San Diego fire is being handled by Rural/Metro. They are a third party company that are based out of fire departments, and run with FD. It's like a third party FD system. And then there are smaller cities like Santee, Lakeside, Oceanside, etc. where it is totally FD based, this grouping of FD based response in SD is called Heartland Fire. And yes kiwi, most of the rigs here are Red :P But Santee fire is white!

Exodus: Thanks. Which department do you work for?

Thanks for the insights thus far. And as for City of San Diego are the ALS guys part of Rural/Metro or SDFD. I'm additionally curious as to what Rural/Metro's pay and benefits are like?

Edited by LoneRider

Exodus: Thanks. Which department do you work for?

Thanks for the insights thus far. And as for City of San Diego are the ALS guys part of Rural/Metro or SDFD. I'm additionally curious as to what Rural/Metro's pay and benefits are like?

I work for a private company, we hold backup 911 contract for Heartland Fire. And as far as pay for R/m they make minimum wage for EMTB.

I work for a private company, we hold backup 911 contract for Heartland Fire. And as far as pay for R/m they make minimum wage for EMTB.

Thanks for that info exodus.

Does anyone know about any of the other San Diego area agencies? Who does primary 911 response for San Diego's emergency medicine?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.