IntuBrite Laryngoscope (black light)

Medic One

Do you use IntuBrite?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the IntuBrite Laryngoscope? (you can make multiple choices)

• Yes - and I love it
    • Yes - and I DON'T like it
    • Had it but got rid of it
    • No - never heard of it
    • No - heard of it but will never get it
    • Plan on purchasing in near future

This is not something you buy as your own equiptment such as a stethoscope? The ambulance company provides them for each ambulance?

You're saying it surprises you that people aren't buying a $10,000 piece of equipment for themselves like they'd buy a stethoscope? Please tell me I'm misreading you. :blink:

This is not something you buy as your own equiptment such as a stethoscope? The ambulance company provides them for each ambulance?

I guess you could look at buying your own, but utilising it without medical direction and guidelines in place is another story. In this case, the EMS service bought the device.

Take care,

chbare.

Yeah. The company you ultimately work for will determine the standard equipment for you unit.

You're own equipment will likely, at least after a year or so to give you a chance to get over the noobi bat-belt syndrome, consist of a stethoscope, a watch, some trauma shears, perhaps a field manual or two, and a flashlight.

So no worries girl...grin. No need to budget extra 10's of thousands of dollars for spiffy gadgets.

Good question though.

Dwayne

You're saying it surprises you that people aren't buying a $10,000 piece of equipment for themselves like they'd buy a stethoscope? Please tell me I'm misreading you. blink.gif

No... I am NOT am EMT or Medic (yet). I do not know the price of the (any) equiptment, and felt it was okay to ask the question.

* edited to add: it is an option in the above poll.

So no worries girl...grin. No need to budget extra 10's of thousands of dollars for spiffy gadgets.

Dwayne

Uh yeah, its not gonna happen at that price anyway. lol I didnt even think they would be over $500 just looking at pics of them here and there. Wow, was I wrong..lol

Edited by Lisa O

No... I am NOT am EMT or Medic (yet). I do not know the price of the (any) equiptment, and felt it was okay to ask the question.

Uh yeah, its not gonna happen at that price anyway. lol I didnt even think they would be over $500 just looking at pics of them here and there. Wow, was I wrong..lol

I think that was referencing the glidescopes - not sure on the price of a complete set of these toys.

No worries. There's no reason you should know the prices of any of this crap. One thing that you'll find as you begin your journey into EMS is that you start out so excited! But with many of us this new knowledge soon breeds insecurity such as, 'Holy shit! I NEED to intubate to save lives?? What if I miss?? Perhaps there is something I can do/buy/barrow/learn to make sure this never happens!!' (Yet, it will still)

Of course you soon get over that (At least most do) and learn that, as Dust said a million years ago, that "EMS is assessment.' And he's right as rain. Most of the rest is just a dog and pony show. Besides, despite the most bestest toys..sometimes you're going to land on your ass..guaranteed.

Trust me when I tell you that if you completely ignore skills (You won't, but you could...grin) and focused on anatomy, physiology, patho, etc..learn how the body works and why then you will give barely a hoot for all of the gadgets when you hit the streets...

These tools are neat for difficult airways perhaps, but trust the basics first. You'll see what I mean later...

Dwayne

I've spoken to several CRNA guys that I know and NONE of them have heard or played with this despite it being the 2009 Jems new hot toy. Most of them suggested some of the better known things over this.

Upon going back and reviewing it though - I really do wonder if it is technique that's obstructing their view rather than the actual blade. Lose those teeth and your obstruction is likely to be worse :thumbsdown: I didn't watch their technique to start off with, but on the review it's certainly got me wondering ! Evidently they're supposed to be at the EMS deal in Baltimore this year. For the people off here that go (specific to medics please) - report back and let us know your thoughts. I had planned to go, but some things happened that's not looking like a possibility now.

• 1 year later...

I have used the Intubrite system on 2 patients so far. The Intubrite people say it's a "hypervisualization" system - allowing you to visualize more easily (handles) and see more clearly (LED and black light). It's not supposed to take the place of video systems (GlideScope, McGrath, etc), but it is supposed to replace your normal laryngoscope handles/blades.

Based on my two uses, I can say it does everything they say it's supposed to do. It was easy to visualize, and the anatomy was much clearer (kinda neat how the vocal cords illuminated).

I normally use a Mac 3 blade, occasionally switching to Miller depending on the patient. On one use, I used Intubrite's "straight" handle with a Mac 3; the other use a Miller 3 with their most "curved" handle. If you'd like to use the curved handles, I recommend you practice a lot on a manikin before using it on a patient. While it does allow you to visualize with less lifting, your hand position is different than the way most people seem to intubate with a standard handle. Not bad, just different. The "straight" Intubrite handle was fine with no technique change.

I think this would be a good system to switch to - especially for people without a great deal of wrist/forearm strength. We're buying the handles for about $95.00 each and the blades for under $12.00 each. Not a bad deal if our intubation rate increases.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.