IntuBrite Laryngoscope (black light)

Medic One

Do you use IntuBrite?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the IntuBrite Laryngoscope? (you can make multiple choices)

• Yes - and I love it
    • Yes - and I DON'T like it
    • Had it but got rid of it
    • No - never heard of it
    • No - heard of it but will never get it
    • Plan on purchasing in near future

Any one use the IntuBrite Laryngoscope?

It is the newer one with ultra white forward bulb and a second "Black Light" that phosphoresce's the cords.

I am looking on some feedback on it.

I have contacted the manufacturer to try and get a demo sent out for us but have yet to get a response.

www.intubrite.com

here is a ideo of it in use:

http://www.fdnntv.com/review.asp_Q_reviewID_E_58_A_title_E_IntuBrite_Hypervisualization_System

Any one use the IntuBrite Laryngoscope?

It is the newer one with ultra white forward bulb and a second "Black Light" that phosphoresce's the cords.

I am looking on some feedback on it.

I have contacted the manufacturer to try and get a demo sent out for us but have yet to get a response.

www.intubrite.com

here is a ideo of it in use:

http://www.fdnntv.com/review.asp_Q_reviewID_E_58_A_title_E_IntuBrite_Hypervisualization_System

I've not utilized it, and am not familiar with it, but looks like it might be interesting to try. Going to do some OR time next month, so I'll ask the anesthesia guys around there if they've got anything on it or one that I might can give a look at. They get all sorts of trial stuff around here. If I can round one up to try, I'll let you know what I think - if you get to try one please do the same !

Edited by fireflymedic

Hmmm....Seems like another new way to do the same ol' thing.

The few times I've been challenged while intubating, the issues have been anatomical not due to inferior illumination.

Perhaps this will help, but I don't really see it. Are there really so many people that are able to locate the vocal cords but unable to see them clearly enough to pass a tube? Not sniping, I just haven't had that issue to date. If I can clear and identify the anatomy I can't think of a time that an alternate source of illumination might have helped.

I'll be interested to hear what my betters have to say...

Thanks for the post.

Dwayne

There's other toys out there for those really anterior airways, and sometimes it's tough to see especially with a higher M score (mallampati) when you aren't going to see much anyway. This might give you that little additional visualization though to place like a bougie that could guide you in once you get it placed. For services that can't afford some of the more expensive things (not saying it's cheaper but probably cheaper to maintain - closer to regular or fiberoptic blade cost) it might be an option and utilized for improving first attempt success. Granted as I said before, I've not played with this, so I'm giving a potential opinion at best. Gonna try to track it down and see. Have a friend I talked to though that is currently using them (demo deal) and they are quite satisfied. They use it in conjunction with other things and they've had good success so far and are looking towards placing them on their trucks. Just one more tool in the tool box kids.

We have the bougies, king air devices (for EMT's), and the same old blades our service bought like 20yrs ago.

Just looking at some new toys...I like the airway cams but $$$$.

I rarely have problems intubating and have used the bougie a few times for difficult intubations

It looks like a cool product tho...it will be like having a Disco in thier airway and fun to play with to see how dirty the back of the ambulance is or your partners pants (lolol) ya know that CSI stuff...lololol

It looks interesting, but I really don't see how it would help all that much. Unless there is a lot blood or whatever in the airway, I don't see many benefits.

ps, is it just me, or was the technique used to intubate in that video pretty crappy? Looked a lot like a fulcrum affect.

I'm not able to do visualized airways, but the shape of the handle looks a lot better than what I was trained on, it seems like it would be a good all-around laryngoscope, especially if you could fit older blades on it, keep the old blades for airway obstructions/ practice on dummies (or sleeping partners :D ) and the new blade with the black light for actual intubation, and yes firemedic I do believe I heard the teeth clicking on the dummy.

I'm not able to do visualized airways, but the shape of the handle looks a lot better than what I was trained on, it seems like it would be a good all-around laryngoscope, especially if you could fit older blades on it, keep the old blades for airway obstructions/ practice on dummies (or sleeping partners :D ) and the new blade with the black light for actual intubation, and yes firemedic I do believe I heard the teeth clicking on the dummy.

I have to agree, the handle does seem to appear to be a little more ergonomic.

At least I am not the only one who heard the teeth clicking. I had to watch it a few times to be sure. The technique is exactly what we were taught NOT to do. Maybe if they used a proper technique, they would be able to visualize the airway better and not need the fancy pants lights.

It's going to be very hard to compete with the current reliable fiber optic technology such as the Glidescope. This is especially true now that costs are decreasing.

I ran into a backcountry EMS service with a total of two ambulances in rural Texas who managed to buy a Glidescope for each ambulance. The PM I talked with stated a price of less than $10,000 per unit. Over time, you may end up having good ROI as initial costs continue to decrease. Especially, now that flash memory and video recording is quite possible. Now, we have a video of the tube passing into the glottis and carbon dioxide detection.

Honestly, I see a big push away from conventional laryngoscopy in the field of difficult airway management.

Take care,

chbare.

It's going to be very hard to compete with the current reliable fiber optic technology such as the Glidescope. This is especially true now that costs are decreasing.

I ran into a backcountry EMS service with a total of two ambulances in rural Texas who managed to buy a Glidescope for each ambulance.

This is not something you buy as your own equiptment such as a stethoscope? The ambulance company provides them for each ambulance?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.