Earthquake in Haiti

My former partner on FDNY EMS Command ambulance 47-Adam-3 comes from Haiti, but is living a few miles away from me. He has family living in, and near, Port-au-Prince, Haiti's capitol.

From the force of the Haitian earthquake, and pictures I have seen on the internet and TV News, this is going to be a long, drawn out Rescue and Recovery operation, with probably almost all of the United States USAR (Urban Search and Rescue) teams either going, or placed on standby.

Prayers for those in Haiti, and good luck to the USAR teams, and military personnel and engineers, no matter what country they come from, in doing the humongous task now ahead of them.

Prayers for those in Haiti, and good luck to the USAR teams, and military personnel and engineers, no matter what country they come from, in doing the humongous task now ahead of them.

Yes, many prayers for those in Haiti...

The news around here is reporting 14 after shocks over half of which have been over 5.0

And, sadly enough, A tsunami warning has been issued for the Caribbean as far north as Miami, FL..

I am also glued to the news... hoping all of my brothers close friends in Sud-Est and other small villages around Haiti are okay. My brother has spent a good amount of time in Haiti building boats and just learning the culture.

http://web.mac.com/geertvanderkolk/iWeb/homepage/Haiti%20Project.html

He's stateside thankfully right now but many of his friends are there right now, he has heard from a few (see below).

If anyone would like to contribute to the relief efforts click on this link:

https://american.redcross.org/site/Donation2?4306.donation=form1&idb=5338275&df_id=4306&JServSessionIdr004=9unadokrh1.app234a

"Coast Guard cutters are on their way, DOD SAR ships and Medical ships are in transit as well. American personnel are confirmed dead and many are still missing."

Some limited info he could give me.

Subject: From Sister Mary in Port au Prince

We are all OK physically at the house, including Domond and familyand Vivienne Haitian. Have not heard from Ricardo. We were home when it hit. The house stood up well, does not appear to be any serious structural damage.downstairs, but upstairs is pretty bad, unusable as a matter of fact.

Matt 25 cooked up 4 big pots of soup for the people coming for treatment, and served as a triage and treatment center. We were able to climb over the fallen bookcases and shelves and retrieve a lot of meds and supplies we had in our depot

Sr Mary, Vivian and our 6 guests performed superbly in treating many injured. Eventually, 3 haitian doctors showed up, I think when they heard we had supplies.

Worked till about two in the morning. We were also one of the few houses to have power with our inverters and batteries, so we set up 3 o4 4 lights on the soccer field to help with the treatment.

The hospitals are either badly damaged or destroyed, and have stopped taking patients as they are overwhelmed.

Pray for our sisters and brothers.

Pat, Viv, Sr. Mary

I'm preparing for deployment with our medical assistance team into the Port au Prince area. Anyone want me to be on the look out for friends and family? I deploy Friday unless plans change.

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.