Getting your foot in the door

bobswife

I believe the "3 week card" reference was as to possession of said card, not the time it took to acquire it.

Actually, it's a reference to the fact that there are EMT schools that last 3 weeks, and give the same amount of training that a traditional 2 night a week, 4-5 month course does.

Ergo, EMT-B is essentially a 3 week class. It just takes some people longer to complete those three weeks.

First and foremost go straight to your education. There is no reason to delay starting the Paramedic Degree.

Second go out and personally visit EMS stations even if they are not advertising job openings. Also if you see an ambulance crew out in town on break stop and visit quickly maybe buy them a drink, you would be surprised how some of the guys on the ambulance carry weight in deciding who gets hired. Never rely on mail or phones looking for jobs. No reason to spend time in the volly ranks. In fact some places will not hire if you were a volly.

In other words, forget volly gigs.

Education is paramount, far above all other concerns. A degree is what will get your "foot in the door".

Think about it: You got two people with no experience wanting their foot in your door. One has a three week EMT card, and the other has a two year paramedic education. Which one are you going to let in? It's a no-brainer.

If ya notice a theme in the above posts you know what I am going to say...finish your education dont let politics get in your way and do not under any circumstances do like I did and try to attempt a medic mill it is not worth it you will not get everything you need to know learned go for the degree.

I believe the "3 week card" reference was as to possession of said card, not the time it took to acquire it.

Anyway, welcome to the city, and good luck with either, or both, continuing your EMS education, and the job hunt.

Richard B, the EMT,

Member, FDNY EMS Command.

Okay - that makes me feel better. See how much I have to learn - good thing I am here!

Okay - that makes me feel better. See how much I have to learn - good thing I am here!

Actually, I was referring to the time it takes to "earn" the card, as explained in CBEMT's post above. 120 hours equals three weeks, no matter how long your school managed to drag it out.

Well, I agree about the degree. I would like to get my EMT-P as soon as possible, but have to balance with the issues of life as well.

This concerns me. It sounds as if you are saying, "Well, this sounds fun and all, but not enough to put a serious effort into doing it right or anything". I hope I am misreading you.

Spend that year doing nothing but taking the college prerequisite courses necessary to establish a foundation for paramedic education. Then, when you have the ability to devote serious, full-time commitment to it, you can go for paramedic school. This is not a first aid course. A full-time commitment is necessary to excel.

• Like 1

What CBEMT said may be true, but nobody here will argue that, in the hiring of personnel, the preference will always be towards the ones with more experience, over the newjacks.*

Also, some agencies refuse to accept volunteer service as experience. I fell afoul of that one. It always begs the question of, "How am I going to get experience if nobody hires me?"

Remember the following inconsistency: Don't go in the water, until you learn how to swim!

(*Newjack: A noob, a newbie or newbee, a new person, an inexperienced person, a probie, freshly minted into the lowest rankings. Newjacks remain in that status until an even newer newjack arrives on the scene)

Edited by Richard B the EMT

First and foremost go straight to your education. There is no reason to delay starting the Paramedic Degree.

Second go out and personally visit EMS stations even if they are not advertising job openings. Also if you see an ambulance crew out in town on break stop and visit quickly maybe buy them a drink, you would be surprised how some of the guys on the ambulance carry weight in deciding who gets hired. Never rely on mail or phones looking for jobs. No reason to spend time in the volly ranks. In fact some places will not hire if you were a volly.

So, I too am looking for suggestions and was glad to find this topic. I am willing to take the extra steps to get my foot in the door. I just don't know about this approach. It seems kind of strange, even stalker-ish maybe. I would just feel very odd approaching someone on a break offering to buy them a coffee or something. Am I the only one who feels that way? How would most people react if a stranger came up out of the blue and approached them on a break and offered to buy them coffee? Would you be suspicious or think they are up to something? I'm not trying to be critical...that's not my intent at all. I just need some feedback on this.

Our locals are pretty cool - but it helps if ya kinda talk to 'em a little bit first lol. I usually started with "hey I see you work for such and such department - how do you like it there? (If they say the like it), ask 'em simply - mind if I get you all a coffee? What makes it such a good place to work?" That doesn't take long at all and it gives you a rough insight as to what the employees think of where they work and how content they are there. Plus - gives you bonus points into knowing something about the company (ie they have great protocols, etc) to look up and do your research for where you want to work. Interviewers are impressed as one of the common questions I've gotten in the interview is "what do YOU know about our service?" - find out a little about the history, their med director, etc. Whatever you can - gives you a leg up on the competition and makes it look like you're willing to do a little extra to get the job. This way allows you to do it in a non threatening manner to. The crew may be rushed or in a grumpy mood, but often times I've gotten a hey, we're busy, but feel free to swing by the station and chat. If they make the offer, take 'em up on it !

Good luck !

So, I too am looking for suggestions and was glad to find this topic. I am willing to take the extra steps to get my foot in the door. I just don't know about this approach. It seems kind of strange, even stalker-ish maybe. I would just feel very odd approaching someone on a break offering to buy them a coffee or something. Am I the only one who feels that way? How would most people react if a stranger came up out of the blue and approached them on a break and offered to buy them coffee? Would you be suspicious or think they are up to something? I'm not trying to be critical...that's not my intent at all. I just need some feedback on this.

It is / was easy for me. I have no shame in approaching people..lol I seek out people, and become a friend on whatever level I can. I have a handful of people now that I can turn to off the computer that work in all different aspects of EMS. I have spoken to about a dozen teachers and students from all of the EMT / Paramedic schools within 80 miles of me. Picked some info there, some here, and started forging my own path. On here, I go through post after post and pick something I want to learn about, and find that. I have read stuff from last year, and pick something new up daily. Throw yourself out there, you will never know till you try.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.