How do you respond?

itku2er

You are called to the house of 45 yo female on hospice for cervical Cancer.

CC: Pain

BP 190/90

HR:64

Resp 12

O2 sat 75 RA

How do you treat this patient?

NKDA

Pain rated at 20 on a scale of 1-10

Alert and responsive

ok abc,s appear to be OK how is air way, questions location of pain, started when, quality,radiating so on, meds list alergies, events leading up to this, last oral intake, expand current medical history, breath sounds what is patents general appearance and skin color.

Actions o2 15 lpm on nrb and may examine abdomen or pain area if pertinent and productive.

• Like 1

ok abc,s appear to be OK how is air way, questions location of pain, started when, quality,radiating so on, meds list alergies, events leading up to this, last oral intake, expand current medical history, breath sounds what is patents general appearance and skin color.

Actions o2 15 lpm on nrb and may examine abdomen or pain area if pertinent and productive.

Pain in lower abd, started about 10 min prior to calling ems.

NKDA

current meds:

PCA pump with Morphine 2mg/hr continous with a extra dose of 1mg Q15 min.

xanax for anxiety

Zofran for the N/V

Skin warm dry ashened color.

Given the information noted above, I have 1 question for the pt and family........Do you want transport to the hospital?

That would be my question exactly. If so, ask the person what they want done and ask for copy of DNR (and EMS DNR if required by your state). Treat with comfort measures, and don't get aggressive. However, I wouldn't withold oxygen and things - Do not resucitate does not mean do not treat ! Provide pain control, oxygen, what you can without exceeding the person's wishes. Do I feel the need to rush to the hospital? Probably not - I would go without L/S unless company protocol dictated otherwise.

All that being said, it may be related to something completely different, and if it is something that you can correct, by all means do so !

Edited by fireflymedic

That would be my question exactly. If so, ask the person what they want done and ask for copy of DNR (and EMS DNR if required by your state). Treat with comfort measures, and don't get aggressive. However, I wouldn't withold oxygen and things - Do not resucitate does not mean do not treat ! Provide pain control, oxygen, what you can without exceeding the person's wishes. Do I feel the need to rush to the hospital? Probably not - I would go without L/S unless company protocol dictated otherwise.

All that being said, it may be related to something completely different, and if it is something that you can correct, by all means do so !

My thoughts exactly, a little comfort and compassion will go a long way!

Question......If this patient is already on pain meds with booster, isn't anyone thinking about why all of a sudden the pain has increased in such a short time span? Is this an exacerbation of existing problem, or is there something else going on? The belly has got a bunch of things in it people!

Gee, sounds like the other post......do we palpate the abdomen?

Let us know what the outcome was.