Paramedic/RN

I start a paramedic course next week and am looking for opinions, experience etc. concerning also going after an RN. I have a BS in Biomechanics/Engineering, so I have all the gen prereqs, A&P and a few other courses in the basic nursing program. From what I've gathered, I could, theoretically, finish up the RN about the same time my paramedic class is done (i.e. doing them concurrently). Now, I don't have any real interest in being a standard nurse, but I do want to pursue flight medicine and it also leaves career options open down the road if I actually ever decide to slow down a bit (unlikely, haha). So... the question I have is, what do you think of that path versus doing a paramedic-RN bridge program after the fact? I'm looking at all the facets here - cost, time, work load (note: I have ADHD), and career worth. Any thoughts from people who have both EMT-P and RN, those working in flight med (is the RN even worth it?), and anyone who's been around the block would be very welcome.

Edited by maverick56

those working in flight med (is the RN even worth it?), and anyone who's been around the block would be very welcome.

The question might also be if you are serious about doing Flight, is the Paramedic worth it?

However, many Flight RNs are expected to have a BSN which shouldn't be much of an issue since you already have a degree. Their experience should consist of no less than 3 years with 5 preferable of critical care experience and some in the ED. To be really valuable, you should also have a year in PICU and a year in NICU.

Now of course, for Paramedic, you can get a quick cert and a couple years on a decent ALS 911 service and probably land some job on Flight even with about 200 other candidates applying. But, to land a competitive job on a decent flight team that just isn't looking for warm bodies, you should have the degree with the same prerequisite sciences as nursing. While you may be able to get all the additional weekend certs that look nice on a resume, the interview will determine whether you actually know what you are doing and not just collecting the alphabet soup. You will have to obtain a strong knowledge of critical care medicine which unfortunately the Paramedic is rather limited at obtaining experience. And, the interview will probably be done by a flight RN with extensive critical care experience.

If you just want to do HEMS with a FD and not do critical care IFT flight, then just the Paramedic and FF cert may be all you need.

It just depends on how hard you want to challenge yourself in medicine and critical patient care of the very sick patient.

• Like 1

The question might also be if you are serious about doing Flight, is the Paramedic worth it?

I've done some research and asked around the nursing community and it turns out that most want the RN to also have EMT-P, even if acting in the Flight Nurse role. I am aware of the critical care requirements and am willing to go for it. The work/schooling doesn't really phase me. I mean I spent 5yrs pounding my head against a wall for a degree in a field that I didn't belong in. I found something I actually love and am motivated for, I'm going for it. But I don't know as yet if critical care is what I want vs basic HEMS. What I do know is that I love action/variety, I love being constantly challenged, and I love being on a bird (a hold-over from my Army days).

Career-wise (i.e. opportunities, salary etc), what are the differences between Flight Nurse vs Flight Medic? Is there an advantage to the RN in that respect? Like I said, I much more interested in the pre-hospital scene than in being a nurse.

Edited by maverick56

The nurse will typically make more money. I would not suggest attempting paramedic school and nursing school at the same time. Nursing school is not what it seems on paper. You will have little available time.

Take care,

chbare.

Screw medic school. Total waste of time, and very possibly counterproductive to your educational development.

Go straight to nursing school. Get a few years of critical care (not ER) experience. Then either do a paramedic quicky school, or challenge out.

• Like 1

Several states allow the RN to challenge the EMT-P with a few requirements like a PDQ EMT cert and/or a Paramedic refresher course. There are also bridge programs for RNs which are about 100 - 200 hours in length. It would be rather insulting to have a CCRN sit through a Sidney Sinus or Abe AV node lecture or endure some of the A&P that is watered down in a Paramedic program. Some states also have a level for RNs in prehospital positions such as MICN or PHRN.

The RN generally makes more (in some places, a lot more) than the Paramedic. If a Paramedic gets his/her RN and decides to apply for the RN flight seat, the RN experience requirements will have to be met regardless of how many years they have functioned as a Flight Paramedic. It is the critical care expertise that sets the RN apart from the Paramedic. If an RN for some reason loses his/her RN license but still has a Paramedic cert, they may have no problem filling that role. As well, if a Paramedic calls in sick, we just use another RN for an RN/RN team. Also, even if they hold a Paramedic "cert", an RN (or RRT) will work under their RN (or RRT) license. As a Paramedic even on Flight, I am still more restricted, and we do have a fairly liberal scope of practice, than my RN partner. If I was working flight under my RRT license, which I do on a Specialty transport team, I leave the Paramedic card at home. Also, I unfortunately can not do any of my RRT scope when working as a Paramedic.

Some RNs run into that problem especially if they also work as a Paramedic with some EMS/FD. I know a couple of FD Paramedics who got their RN in California and fortunately they were Paramedics first so it wasn't much of a shock to know what they couldn't do as Paramedics vs an RN in an ICU or on CCT. However, for those RNs who want to run off and join the FD later are greatly surprised and very frustrated by the limited protocols.

Edited by VentMedic

Hey,

As much as this pains me to say, the RN is probably the easiest route for you to go. There are MANY programs out there where your previous BS will allow you to obtain a BSN in 1 year. Granted this year will be busy, but not impossible.

However, my caveat for you is this, you stated you love the pre-hospital environment, well, so did I and always have. Hence, you do NOT see RN after my name. I wanted to be a paramedic and work the streets, and I did, in DETROIT no less.....( Does not get any worse than Detroit). I made enough money to live and that was fine by me, I also worked in the OR as a Surgical First Assistant in Detroit. Being around all the RN's day in and day out, did nothing but reinforce my decision to NOT go to nursing school. The streets are where I felt at home! So, go with what your heart tells you, I did, and I do NOT regret any of those decisions.

Contrary to what some have suggested, there are plenty of agencies in the US where a paramedic can achieve a solid critical care education. You just have to be willing to travel out of a particular state if necessary. The RN field is great because it gives you a TON of options and a decent salary, but one thing i have learned in the last few years, is money is NOT everything! Just make sure, whatever you decide, let it come from the heart and you will be fine! I have many friends who went the RN route, and after only 1-3 years have left the field completely, because their heart just was not in it....You can relate i am sure!

One last thing, if you go the Paramedic route, go to a school that is a 2 year degree program. My school was such, and required all the same classes as the Nursing Students. I.e. Micro, A&P, Organic / Inorganic Chem, Pathophysiology, Pharm I&II, Nutrition, etc........

Good Luck with your decision.

Respectfully,

JW

I think there is a valid argument for both sides. I say if you have the time and the money just do both. That way, when you are looking for that flight job you can put on whatever 'hat' they want you to wear. FN job, hey I am a RN; No, ok then here is my medic cert. Getting them done at the same time will get it out of the way. Doing your EMS training later might be painful otherwise. Picture sitting in medic school, years later, spending the afternoon learning how to turn on a LP12, getting protocols beat into you head. That is painful. Having both will allow you to apply for any job that comes along. Also, as many have pointed out, working as a nurse in a critical care setting will develop those skills. This can be difficult to match as a medic. I am not saying impossible, but places where you can develop those skills tend to be the exception vs. the rule.

• Like 1

Picture sitting in medic school, years later, spending the afternoon learning how to turn on a LP12, getting protocols beat into you head. That is painful.

You've done it?

Something else to think about is that if you are serious about the flight nursing, most will require a BSN any more. I know a lot of HEMS in Michigan have phased out the Medic/Nurse and are going to Nurse/Nurse. One, that I know of, is RN/MD..An ADN is not going to cut it in a very competitive market in the near future; certainly not a matriculation from medic to RN...

Just some food for thought..... :rolleyes:

Edited by ccmedoc
  • Like 2