Money has destroyed the Fire Department?

letmesleep

My partner today is a part-time EMT with my district, but works full-time for a Fire Department that does NOT run an ambulance. This AM we started discussing EMS v. Fire based EMS which led to a statement that he made......."Money has destroyed the FD!" His example was the difference in pay between the Chief of FDNY v. the Batt Chief of Creve Couer FPD ( http://www.ccfire.org/ ) staffing, stations, apparatus, etc. The Batt Chief of Creve Couer manages so much less than the Chief of the FDNY, but takes home an annual salary of approx $166,000.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/special/firedistricts.nsf/0/585415870E5B797086256EF7006E1EB3?OpenDocument

All of this got me thinking if this is another reason why the FD should stay out of EMS......you know, in order to save the FD, and bring them back to reality.

Thoughts?

I now have to find out how much the now former FDNY Chief of Department Cassano made, before his promotion this week to FDNY Commissioner. Failing that, I'll get a ball park figure from either a battalion or higher level chief's salary, for comparison.

You know I'm going to monitor this string!

I now have to find out how much the now former FDNY Chief of Department Cassano made, before his promotion this week to FDNY Commissioner. Failing that, I'll get a ball park figure from either a battalion or higher level chief's salary, for comparison.

You know I'm going to monitor this string!

I will say that I honestly did NOT look up the FDNY Chief's salary, but I have a very hard time believing that it comes remotely close to the money being spent here in the fire services 5 horn club. Even if it was in dollar amounts, I would bet that the work load has NO comparison. The FD I noted above has 2 engine houses.....yes I said 2! With that said, it just goes to show that even in the Midwest, we through TONS of tax money at the powerhouse, and leave EMS which adds up to approx 80% of the FD's call volume hanging.

The salary of the Cheif monkey on the tree is not relevant.

What is relevant if you want to look at fire based EMS v Stand alone EMS is to look at what is available & funding levels that are provided, & in the case of Fire based EMS, what percentage of their total income is derived from EMS based work.

You will find that EMS props up fire but they will always look to take the limelight & glory so everyone thinks they are the heros. Fortunatley we all know better.