ND ambulance crews rely on young volunteers

CBEMT

BISMARK, N.D. — There is little question people in rural areas rely on volunteers more so than those in urban areas of the country.

In states like North Dakota with an aging population, finding those volunteers can be a difficult task.

Volunteer ambulance squads are one of the services that rural residents count on, and oftentimes, members are stretched thin.

But in communities like Washburn, college and high school students are stepping in to fill the void.

The Washburn ambulance service has five high school students serving on its squad, plus a couple of college students who come home to take calls when they can.

Mark Lelm, squad leader for the service, said there are 23 members on the Washburn service along with the seven students.

"In a lot of cases, their parents are or were members," Lelm said. "So they know how important it is to be involved."

That's the case for Kelsea and Andrew Kuch. Their parents, Paul and Tracy, served on the squad and it's something they feel strongly about.

Andrew Kuch is an ag engineering student at North Dakota State University and Kelsea Kuch is a nursing student at Bismarck State College. Between them, they have more than seven years with the squad.

Both began taking shifts on the squad in high school. At the minimum, Lelm said student squad members must be CPR certified, and in some cases, some have additional training like first responder.

Washburn is a basic life support service in which once a patient is stabilized, they transport them to a medical facility for treatment.

Lelm said once the students complete their orientation, they sign an agreement with the high school that allows them to leave the school grounds to respond to a call.

"The school district has been very supportive," Lelm said. "The system is working for us."

Statewide, there is a concern about the number of people available to staff volunteer ambulance services.

http://www.ems1.com/ems-news/735601-nd-ambulance-crews-rely-on-young-volunteers/

• Like 2

Here is my personal veiw on the matter, each member that rides in an ambulance must me the minimum of EMT-Basic if they are providing any medical care. If the purpose is for an Explorer Program then CPR and First Aid should do.

I have heard and still hear to this day that "children" (Individuals under the age of 18 or still in High School) should not be allowed to take an EMT course or allowed to work / volunteer for a service. I believe that there is more too it than just an age, some people are more mature than others at an earlier age and are capable of handling the situations.

For me it just made sense for me to take my EMT-Basic course during my summer vacation between my JR and SR year in High School. My class had five high school students in it with me being the oldest at 18 and the youngest being 16 (she was 17 by the time it was time to test). We all completed the EMT-Basic course and we all passed it on the first attempt (both the written and practical). Four of us obtained National with the youngest just obtaining State due to her age.

Three of us joined our local EMS Service and attended to patients by ourselves, after being signed off on by our service.

What was the outcome? I became a Paramedic, three are in Medical School and the fifth is in Law School. I firmly believe that if the individual is mature enough and has completed the training that is required to become an EMT-Basic then they deserve to be on a service. I am sure that some people will disagree with me, but hey it is a free world.

Edited by firemedic37
  • Like 3

I finished my EMT-B class about a month ago, currently I am 17 and a senior in high school. In this area they normally require you to be 18 however, I got into a special program that started up so my class was all high school students. I feel that if you are mature enough and smart enough then why should age matter? The only thing that I regret about so young is the fact that around here you have to be 21 to be employed by an ambo service, so I am going to be looking for jobs as an ER Tech once I get NREMT certified when I turn 18.

• Like 2

I was an EMT at 16, in this podunk, backwoods area. Lots of things aren't agreeable in words, or on paper. But rural America works with what it has, as does urban America. I'd go on, if this said rural ambulance sent live victim to the morgue.. But really, I don't see any problems, if that's what works for them, so be it.

• Like 2

Well, it sure beats wasting your life away infront of the computer and or T.V. I doubt, (but I do not honestly know) that they are alone on these calls. If they are basic BLS, then, why not? Having kids, I can see how today, alot of these kids are not 'involved in anything' anymore. Not many are doing sports, and the clubs at the HS's are lacking.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.