How long does it take you to clear the hospital?

fiznat

If we spend more than 30 minutes in an ER for any reason, we need to notify dispatch. In 25 years, I can count on one hand how many times I have left an ER without giving a run sheet. (Mass casualties, major fires, etc, where we needed an immediate turn around) and then I notified the ER with a quick oral report on the patient, saying I would be back later with a hard copy if I could.) Always did the report later for our own records.

Yes, sometimes there are bed issues, cleaning, supplies, extra documentation, etc, but for the vast majority of calls, even if I never entered a bit of info enroute to the ER, I can still easily complete an entire report in 30 minutes or less once I am there.

Depends on the type of call. A call with a lot of work, an arrest, DAI etc. takes a bit longer for obvious reason. On calls where the driver can handle all the tech stuff, i.e IV and assessment without needing me to help I am able to write the PCR during the call and en route. If that happens I can usually clear the whole call in about 45 mins to an hour depending on different circumstances. Some crews can take 1.5 hours plus and it's a pain to have to cover them because their so slow! So many different factors though, hard to really determine this. Things such as patient removal, treatment etc. can all have an impact. Interesting topic though, and interesting replies!

• Like 1

I think somebody misunderstood my previous post. On critical calls where everyone is busy Is the only type of calls I don't chart on the way to the call. I may quickly enter the name and demographics in the computer to start but go no further. Once the patient is in the hands of the hospital we complete the run and then go avail for another run. Your not allowed to leave any runs incomplete by the completion of your shift at my FT job. We have a wonderful and quick charting system as I said before and no need to carry charts over to the next day.

On a perfect day I'm usually out of the hospital and back in service within 30 minutes of arrival at an Emerg. But perfect days are few and far between. Offload delay is a huge issue where i work. My service is also a busy one, and there have been numerous occasions where i've been multiple ACRs behind. Personally I hate it, but it sometimes happens where as soon as you're stretcher clear there's another code 4 waiting.

Where do you write it?

I write my report enroute back to base, let me explain. I work for a 911 service that has a 30 - 60 minute transport time and a transport service that has transport times up to 4 hours. When we get back the report is printed off and sent to them. I always ensure that the hospital does not have any questions for me before leaving. I do give them a hand off sheet with all the information that I got, on that sheet. I also include my cell phone number so that they can contact me with any questions that may come up after leaving.

I feel that this is the best way for me to get back in service sooner and provide excellent patient care. I have only been called a hand full of times for further information. I have not had any hospitals complain about me not writing my report there since all reports are sent to them in a timely manner. And yes the reports are legiable since my services use Electronic PCRs.

From arrival to departure depends if the ER staff needs our help or how busy they are. Also, how critical the call is. We've been there for well over an hr before helping with a pt. We always write the PCR there at the hospital. One member writes the report, calls dispatch for the times, gets all the signatures while someone else cleans the ambulance, makes the gurney and restocks any hospital provided supplies. ALS writes their PCR at another time usually. We aren't usually in a huge hurry, gotta have time for coffee you know. If we get another call, we get movin' fast. So average time at the hospital would probably be about 30 mins. with easy conditions.

We are allotted 20 minutes to get back in route to our district. I think they made it the standard because most people at this service write really short and incomplete reports (IMO) so they leave the ER fast. I typically take a few minute over 20 to be in route to district. On the other hand, I write detailed reports. Our supervisor does not complain too much to me about being over 20 minutes.

...Please specify whether you are referring to an "ALS" or a "BLS" patient.

How does your system compare?

Why must this continual nonsense of an "ALS" patient vs a "BLS" patient come up, what a load of crap!

On average about 20 minutes to drop off the patient, clean up, do PCR and hand it in to the nurse.

Might be faster depending if the PCR was written enroute or not, might be slower if the hospital is backed up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.