How long does it take you to clear the hospital?

fiznat

I'm interested to hear how other people handle this aspect of our jobs, especially because I've been hearing some complaints lately that we are doing it wrong.

From arrival at the hospital (with patient), what is the average time elapsed before your unit is back and available for another call? Do you write the whole PCR before clearing from the hospital, or do you put it aside to write it later? Does your hospital have rules as to how soon the PCR must be supplied to the hospital? Please specify whether you are referring to an "ALS" or a "BLS" patient.

Just to start, it usually takes about 45 minutes on average for our units to clear the hospital after an ALS call. This includes bringing the patient through triage, then to hospital bed, report to nurse, write the PCR, and making the truck ready for a new patient. Some crews average over an hour. Dispatch will sometimes try and call us out of the hospital to handle an emergency call, but it is usually up to the individual crew as to whether they are able to clear for the call or not.

How does your system compare?

Edited by fiznat

I'm interested to hear how other people handle this aspect of our jobs, especially because I've been hearing some complaints lately that we are doing it wrong.

From arrival at the hospital (with patient), what is the average time elapsed before your unit is back and available for another call? Do you write the whole PCR before clearing from the hospital, or do you put it aside to write it later? Does your hospital have rules as to how soon the PCR must be supplied to the hospital? Please specify whether you are referring to an "ALS" or a "BLS" patient.

Just to start, it usually takes about 45 minutes on average for our units to clear the hospital after an ALS call. This includes bringing the patient through triage, then to hospital bed, report to nurse, write the PCR, and making the truck ready for a new patient. Some crews average over an hour. Dispatch will sometimes try and call us out of the hospital to handle an emergency call, but it is usually up to the individual crew as to whether they are able to clear for the call or not.

The average is 30 min for BLS, 45 min for ALS, But this does not include restocking, things that we do not carry extra of, narcotics etc...

ALL PCR's done before leaving, before the RN signs her name.

We can not be called for an assignment while at a hospital no matter how long we take, we can only be asked to hurry up.

This will vary dependant on where and what type of service that you provide, and how the operational plans are set up. We on average clear in approximately 10-15 minutes for BLS, and 15-20 for ALS. For both, the crews are still subject to call and clean up. For ALS, medication restocking is not an issue as boxes contain enought meds for 2 ALS calls. PCR's in some areas are required to be completed prior to availability, but for us, whenever we can get them done withing the shift, then faxed to the receiving facility. Most of the time, this is done relatively soon (within an hour).

Again, opinions will be based upon the agencies operational plans.

Officially, we are allowed 20 minutes to drop of the pt, put the rig back together, do our PCR and leave it at the hospital. This is fairly unreasonable and often times it's the PCR that gets skipped and we just clear. We can add an extension of another 20 minutes if we have extra cleanup or a code 3 return.

Our system has been so busy lately we usually just sit at the hospitals until we become available and then get another call before we can clear.

Average is approx 20mins ALS or BLS, but with no expectation, as long as we are within reason. We restock, clean, and write PCRs after returning to the District. We also try to carry enough supplies and equipment to catch another call upon returning in service, but this will depend on how "out of whack" the truck is, i.e., major cleaning to be done. With the use of computerized dispatching and ePCR, we can start our reports en route back to quarters and fax copies to the receiving facility, but I have the remainder of my shift to complete this task.

At the hospital we get insurance info when available, two signatures, give a report, and hit the road (not in that order). On average our calls (with transport) last approx 1.5hrs, which is down from the 2.5hrs prior to ePCR and computerized dispatching.

Bamx- are you writing PCRs at the hospital prior to clearing?

We usual have like 70% of it filled out by the time we get to the hospital. My state doesnt take EMTs serious at all though. Our verbal reports end up being very short as the nurses just blow us off. This could have something to do with how quickly we get out of the hospital.

We are given "30min" before the dispatcher starts checking on you. Most don't use all the time and with echarting with the drs tatical computer (yes I love to preach its wonders) most of the chart can be done before arrival at the hospital. If the hospital is busy I'll just finish my narritive there, and our trucks are typically overstocked so resupply is usually not needed. Only once or twice have I had a string of critical patients and needed to return for supplies.

• Like 1

One thing that's unique with us is our PCR program.... Its all electronic. The hospital can access our PCR once its posted to the server for reference and doctor veiwing.

Priortiy 3 and 2 Calls (BLS / ALS Non-emergent): Whatever time it takes for the ED to give us a bed (average time is 15 min) with a RN to give report to and get a signature. After we have given report we call "patient offload" on the radio. We have 10 min from the time we call offload to clean the truck and restock. At that time we have to become available for call. Our PCR's are all done on Toughbooks (The one with the Rotatable Screen), with WiFi, Sprint Aircards. The EMT usually puts the info in the computer on scene. After we get to the facility. It has WiFi where we can download our CAD data (times, call numbers, addy's, milage etc....) into the PCR, our Zoll data cards record all of our ECG's, B/p's, Etc. in electronic format and all we do is import it all into the PCR and post what we have in the com,puter (can be finished at another time) it to the server before we leave the hospital. Usually takes about 20 min to complete this process

Priority 1 Calls (ALS Emergent): We get the bed, give report and get the signature. (probably 5-6 min) Call "patient offload with extended clean-up" (The 10 minute rule becomes not applicable) on the radio and we then move to clean the truck. When the truck is ready to go, we begin the documentation. The patient info is typically already in the Toughbook (done by the EMT on scene). We import our CAD and Zoll data. Complete the PCR and upload it to the server before being able to go back into service. Usually takes about 1 HR for this process to be complete this process.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.