A&P class even before EMT-B class?

Lisa O

That course sounds introductory in nature, which is better than the ten pages of A&P in your basic EMT textbook however may not be as in-depth as A&P I and II.

My A&P course was a component of the Bachelor of Nursing (BN) and covered all body systems plus ECG, ABG, basic biochemistry etc over 13 weeks.

If you could find something like that it'd be fab.

I also recommend Marieb 8e A&P from Pearson-Benjamin Cummings; we used that textbook and it's just absolutely fab the DVD and online materials are great.

That is the textbook the physiology class at her school of choice requires. Marieb is somewhat of a standard textbook for this course. I still have my Marieb 4th ed. from when I took A&P 1 & 2.

Take care,

chbare.

Strange? The first few weeks of my A&P 1 course consisted of a chemistry overview, a review of the common pathways, and the basics of cellular structure and function. In fact a rather popular A&P text book, the Marieb series covers this very material in the beginning chapters. However, it was not until microbiology/molecular biology that the pathways were covered in greater detail.

Take care,

chbare.

Thinking back, both two times I've taken physiology (My current school is a systems based curriculum, so there isn't a specific "physiology" course. I've also always had physiology separate from anatomy and not an A/P 1, A/P 2 format), by the time students got to the point where they took physiology, biochem was a required pre-req.

Thinking back, both two times I've taken physiology (My current school is a systems based curriculum, so there isn't a specific "physiology" course. I've also always had physiology separate from anatomy and not an A/P 1, A/P 2 format), by the time students got to the point where they took physiology, biochem was a required pre-req.

Yeah, the courses you are talking about are beyond the scope of the standard human A&P 1&2 courses that nurses and allied health students take.

Take care,

chbare.

Well, the first round was undergrad courses, but at UC Irvine the anatomy and physiology courses were considered upper division work, so the 2 year lower division bio sequence had to be completed first.

In many cases, the traditional human A&P course that nursing and allied health majors take actually transfers as a zoology course as opposed to a dedicated biology course. The A&P is an undergrad level course. An example of a course catalog where the A&P is part of the zoology department.

http://catalog.sheridan.edu/content.php?catoid=4&navoid=101

http://catalog.sheridan.edu/content.php?catoid=4&navoid=102

Take care,

chbare.

Looks to be a health class with some basic biology thrown in. While not necessarily a bad thing, this is not a dedicated anatomy and physiology course.

Yeah, it appears to be one of those science classes dumbed down for non-science majors to fulfill their science elective requirements. It probably would not transfer to a paramedic or nursing programme.

Agreed on the chemistry recommendation. The first week or so of A&P is the goddamn Krebs Cycle, and other molecular processes that will leave you scratching your head if you don't understand basic chemical structure.

So which chemistry course? Inorganic, organic, or something that is aimed at biochemistry?

--

Tom Horne

Dust stated it well - it builds the foundations. However, if you do take a class, make sure it's one with lab - well worth it. You won't regret it, especially if you go on to pursue your paramedic or even farther. Smart move !

So which chemistry course? Inorganic, organic, or something that is aimed at biochemistry?

--

Tom Horne

General (inorganic at some schools) chem and biochem. I honestly don't see a need for o-chem for EMS. In fact, one of the few things I remember from O-Chem is that SN2 reactions does it from behind.

Edited by JPINFV
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.