Wildland Fire Medical

ewfc19

Hi All,

I was recently "volunteered" for a spot on a wildland Fire Crew, as one of the team's medical folks.

In PA, wildland fire is run by the state's Dept. of Conservation of National Resources... All crews are volunteer, but when deployed by the state to fires, can become part-paid contractors. It's a confusing system. And the local Boy Scout camp I'm involved with has put together a crew... there's a lot of complicated reasons why... I think it's a good idea.

The plan is that those of us with medical training would be functioning as part of the crew, and would have limited gear to provide immediate care for our own folks. I imagine some of this will be emergent, and some for comfort issues (Gold Bond and Moleskin :) ).

There is really limited info from the PA DCNR as to having medical folks on the team. Anyone on the forum function as an EMT or Medic in a wildland setting somewhere else? the West Coast? Other countries?

I'd appreciate any help you can provide - Pack/gear inventories, protocols, etc.

Also - Have no fear - I'm not crossing over to the dark side :D. This is an occasional and somewhat seasonal, volunteer thing. I'm doing it to help serve the Camp and doing it with a bunch of folks I consider friends.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I've done a fair amount of work as an EMT & Paramedic on wildland fires, but it's been a few years now. Are you going to be working as a line EMT or as a firefighter who has EMT training? When I've been part of a crew, I'd carry some extra medical supplies. The biggest thing you'll need, especially with a part time crew, is foot/blister care supplies. Nothing is better than Second Skin. Other than that, I'd carry some extra band aids, 4x4s, tylenol, and maybe a SAM splint. Oh and some saline bullets to flush eyes is nice too. You're not doing yourself or anyone else any favors by carrying a crap load of heavy medical equipment that's never going to be used. Be very familiar with the medical plan in the IAP, if anything bad happens, your role is going to be to notify and stabilize until the fire's EMS resources arrive.

I hope that helps, and I'm happy to answer more questions if you have any.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.