The Grinch that stole Christmas

Kaisu

Being alone here in AZ with my husband, I am a goto girl for people who want the major holidays off. Thus, I wound up working Christmas day on another shift than my beloved A.

Every Thanksgiving and Christmas, management provides the basics of a Christmas meal for those working on that day. It is normally augmented by home baked goodies, etc. from employees, their friends and family to give us some fellowship and consolation for being on shift when the rest of the world is celebrating. This is primarily organized by the field supervisor of the shift. For example, the crew that worked the 23 and 24, getting off at 0800 Christmas morning, was provided with prime rib. Very very nice.

Like everyone else working Christmas, I did not pack food, expecting a ton of stuff at the station. After getting on shift, and running a call 2 minutes into it, I went looking for what was on the menu. Guess what? NOTHING! Not one cookie, nothing. The field supervisor was stunned and felt that an obvious over sight must have occurred. The supervisor responsible had taken the day off, was spending it with his family and not accessible.

ADAPT, IMPROVISE and OVERCOME!

The field supervisor had a ham in the freezer. His wife thawed it and brought it over. My partner and I hit a variety of drug stores and the one grocery store open on Christmas day. It personally cost me about 150 bucks on my credit cards and I know my partner kicked in too for pies.

We put together a meal. Although we were busy running calls, and never were able to get all the crews to sit down together, everybody ate.

The next morning, the supervisor showed up for the second half of the 48. I immediately asked him what had happened to the Christmas dinner. He looked at me and said "Well, did anyone ask for a holiday meal?" I was non-plussed and said "I really don't know". I was confused and that was the best I could come up with. "Check with the crews and the field supervisors" he continued "and see if anyone requested one." He then walked away.

Rule change - with no notification. A lesson for us about how much the company does for us and how we take it for granted.

My personal belief - we have gathered all the signatures we need for bringing in the union and although no notification has been made to us, I think this supervisor, who is in the management loop, is retaliating.

Merry Christmas to the station that gets the crap kicked out of it on a regular basis, generates over half of the revenue for the entire operation, all for the grand rate of 10.68/hour for a two year medic with 1500+ calls under their belt.

Comments appreciated.

PS.. reimbursement for the meal is doubtful

Edited by Kaisu

Being alone here in AZ with my husband, I am a goto girl for people who want the major holidays off. Thus, I wound up working Christmas day on another shift than my beloved A.

Every Thanksgiving and Christmas, management provides the basics of a Christmas meal for those working on that day. It is normally augmented by home baked goodies, etc. from employees, their friends and family to give us some fellowship and consolation for being on shift when the rest of the world is celebrating. This is primarily organized by the field supervisor of the shift. For example, the crew that worked the 23 and 24, getting off at 0800 Christmas morning, was provided with prime rib. Very very nice.

Like everyone else working Christmas, I did not pack food, expecting a ton of stuff at the station. After getting on shift, and running a call 2 minutes into it, I went looking for what was on the menu. Guess what? NOTHING! Not one cookie, nothing. The field supervisor was stunned and felt that an obvious over sight must have occurred. The supervisor responsible had taken the day off, was spending it with his family and not accessible.

ADAPT, IMPROVISE and OVERCOME!

The field supervisor had a ham in the freezer. His wife thawed it and brought it over. My partner and I hit a variety of drug stores and the one grocery store open on Christmas day. It personally cost me about 150 bucks on my credit cards and I know my partner kicked in too for pies.

We put together a meal. Although we were busy running calls, and never were able to get all the crews to sit down together, everybody ate.

The next morning, the supervisor showed up for the second half of the 48. I immediately asked him what had happened to the Christmas dinner. He looked at me and said "Well, did anyone ask for a holiday meal?" I was non-plussed and said "I really don't know". I was confused and that was the best I could come up with. "Check with the crews and the field supervisors" he continued "and see if anyone requested one." He then walked away.

Rule change - with no notification. A lesson for us about how much the company does for us and how we take it for granted.

My personal belief - we have gathered all the signatures we need for bringing in the union and although no notification has been made to us, I think this supervisor, who is in the management loop, is retaliating.

Merry Christmas to the station that gets the crap kicked out of it on a regular basis, generates over half of the revenue for the entire operation, all for the grand rate of 10.68/hour for a two year medic with 1500+ calls under their belt.

Comments appreciated.

Im sorry that this happened to you, : /. It really is kind of lame, even if he did want to take Christmas off he still could have planned something for you guys. Also, if you do not mind me asking what company do you work for? The only ones around here that I know of are PMT and Southwest. Obviously you don't have to post about it if you don't want to, I am just curious.

...ADAPT, IMPROVISE and OVERCOME!

..."Check with the crews and the field supervisors" he continued "and see if anyone requested one." He then walked away.

Rule change - with no notification.

Jeez. Having to ask or request?? What a smuck. Even at the hospitals I worked at we were given free dinner on holidays (for us and family), the stations always had a ton of donations and treats. Maybe it's a sign of the weak market. Or lazy upper management.

Good for you for taking care of your crew.

I do hope you are reimbursed though.

Jeez. Having to ask or request?? What a smuck. Even at the hospitals I worked at we were given free dinner on holidays (for us and family), the stations always had a ton of donations and treats. Maybe it's a sign of the weak market. Or lazy upper management.

Good for you for taking care of your crew.

I do hope you are reimbursed though.

In fact, the one hospital I used to work at did meals for all 3 shifts on Thanksgiving and X-mas.... and hospital management came in to SERVE the meals and thank the employees for spending time away from their families helping others.

Jon

Kaisu-

I suspect you hit the nail on the head. This WAS retaliation for organizing a union. Is it illegal to do- technically yes, but this isn't a discipline thing related to work so it does not apply. Expect more of the same, and be sure to let your coworkers know that everything they say and do will be under a microscope. Obscure rules and regulations will be enforced. Management will cut no slack for anything.

Management always takes it as a personal insult when employees attempt to bring a union into the company. No manager/owner wants someone else to dictate how they should run their business, how much they should pay their people, how they should provide compensation, benefits, discipline, etc. Their authority/power has been questioned, they feel betrayed, and they resent being told that they are not taking proper care of their employees. Even if you can cite chapter and verse and list particular reasons why you feel the need for union protection, it will not matter.

Lawyers for management have a playbook they use when trying to intimidate employees and will try any tactic they can(within reason) to show the bad side of unionism. Sometimes it works, most of the time it merely strengthens the resolve of the employees.

Good luck- and watch your back.