FF Contracts Deadly Rash

WestSideBorderPatrol

CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER LINE OF DUTY DEATH: DIES FROM A "MYSTERY RASH" FOLLOWING AN EMS RUN

Thursday, December 17, 2009

-

A Firefighter who died after responding to an EMS run, has died in the Line of Duty of a "deadly mystery rash" according to his FD, the Cosumnes CSD FD in California.

FF Richard Ibarra, 42, died Wednesday at the UC Davis Medical Center. BC John Michelini says Ibarra was very healthy and the rash "destroyed" him. It caused severe internal damage, and doctors have yet to diagnose what it was. FF Ibarra was surrounded by his immediate family and his firefighting family when he died, according to Michelini.

Ibarra has been with the Cosumnes Fire Department since 1999. He is survived by his wife and two young children. Memorial service plans are pending and we will keep you updated. As always, our most sincere condolences to all affected by the loss of Firefighter Ibarra.

---------------------------

Condolences to his family. I hope that they find out what this "mysterious rash" was...Has anyone ever encountered a situation like this? How can we prevent this from happening? Better BSI I suppose.

First thing that comes to mind - staph infection... you know that deadly stuff they call "flesh eating" . Condolences to his family and prayers for his coworkers that they all stay safe.

That's freaky. Like House MD, freaky. I read this on JEMS I think, or maybe Firefighter Close Calls. I forget which, anyhoo.. I'd like to follow up on it, so we all can be sure to not do, whatever it is that he did.

Not to be callous but how is this called a LODD, the news information is extremely scanty. It states that the FF just attended a medical call, then died suddenly. The time line is not even mentioned either and even if the mystery rash is from necrotizing fasciitis it does sound like it from the rash "destroyed" him so was this contact with a patient or something completely unrelated, I dunno this just spikes my curiosity or maybe I am missing something. Identification of the pathogens for NF is not that difficult in most labs its gram stain if I can remember my bug stuff.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1054438-overview

Before one clicks on the link best not be eating, this is one nasty bug moves super fast too. I have had been involved in the care of just a couple of patient's but most post op infection's and never an occupational type contact, never with direct contact with a infected patient. Normal PPE gown glove and mask precautions and good hand washing typically are the only precautions, although if one does have direct visual contact with this ugliness a full body does sound like a good idea.

Although a good thing called LODD as his family and 2 young kids that is very sad, I would sure hope they will receive benefits no matter what the cause.

cheers

Personally, I cant see how it is a LODD from the info given. There is no time line to indicate when the call was to onset of symptoms. No mention of the patient(s) he attended.

There is also no mention of a possible lack of Personal Protective Equipment used (or not more likley) for infection control.

More information is needed, but regardless, 42 is too young to leave a young family behind.

The family has my condolenses.

This web site seems to have trouble relaying the full details of a story, just in case someone looks bad. (?) this one for example FATAL FDNY EMS CRASH

Edited by aussiephil
  • Like 1

Not to be callous but how is this called a LODD, the news information is extremely scanty. It states that the FF just attended a medical call, then died suddenly. The time line is not even mentioned either and even if the mystery rash is from necrotizing fasciitis it does sound like it from the rash "destroyed" him so was this contact with a patient or something completely unrelated, I dunno this just spikes my curiosity or maybe I am missing something. Identification of the pathogens for NF is not that difficult in most labs its gram stain if I can remember my bug stuff.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1054438-overview

Before one clicks on the link best not be eating, this is one nasty bug moves super fast too. I have had been involved in the care of just a couple of patient's but most post op infection's and never an occupational type contact, never with direct contact with a infected patient. Normal PPE gown glove and mask precautions and good hand washing typically are the only precautions, although if one does have direct visual contact with this ugliness a full body does sound like a good idea.

Although a good thing called LODD as his family and 2 young kids that is very sad, I would sure hope they will receive benefits no matter what the cause.

cheers

Thanks squint - I was up late and the name escaped my mind. You filled in the blanks there ! From my understanding the patient may have had it and it was passed along? I've heard of a few cases that pop up, though as squint stated most I'm aware of are post op and are more nosocomial in nature. It definitely is making me wonder a little more what was going on. I'm with you all wondering what PPE was used or was there a lack of? Dirty stick? hmmm. In any case, a very very sad situation.

Any fatal injury or illness that occurs during or on duty of an emergency call, or within 24 hours of a call (where no symptoms were reported prior to sudden onset) is a line of duty death. Even if he had a heart attack while eating at the firehouse, on the clock, it would be a duty death. The death benefit doesn't make them millionaires. It's like a life insurance policy, they get x amount, once, it doesn't recur. If he died of something he contracted while on duty, they should get the death benefit funding.

Edited by 4c6

Any fatal injury or illness that occurs during or on duty of an emergency call, or within 24 hours of a call (where no symptoms were reported prior to sudden onset) is a line of duty death. Even if he had a heart attack while eating at the firehouse, on the clock, it would be a duty death. The death benefit doesn't make them millionaires. It's like a life insurance policy, they get x amount, once, it doesn't recur. If he died of something he contracted while on duty, they should get the death benefit funding.

Have to agreed this sounds very fair perhaps a good guidelines to be adopted by EMS services, (I would include if proven contact with a disease resulting in death) my question is the IAFF behind this just who provides the funding ?

cheers

State Fire Commissions, etc. have Death Benefit funds, National Fallen Firefighter Foundation, US Fire Administration, Worker's Compensation, A Fire Agency's insurance. They can provide trust funds for small children, scholarships for grown children, widow funds, pay for the funeral, lost wages of family, etc..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.