Do you "notch" your duty boots ?

tniuqs

I was chatting with a member of the local RCMP the other day ... NO was not under arrest :innocent:

The topic of rapid identification and elimination in a suspected crime scene "ie tracks in snow, mud or blood" btw the LEO was a dog man. I thought this was common practice for most EMS services and SAR groups but apparently not these days. The LEO had a very strong pro stance on the issue as he was very experienced in tracking and thought this idea should be forwarded to members of EMS community to help track down the bad guys.

cheers

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was chatting with a member of the local RCMP the other day ... NO was not under arrest :innocent:

The topic of rapid identification and elimination in a suspected crime scene "ie tracks in snow, mud or blood" btw the LEO was a dog man. I thought this was common practice for most EMS services and SAR groups but apparently not these days. The LEO had a very strong pro stance on the issue as he was very experienced in tracking and thought this idea should be forwarded to members of EMS community to help track down the bad guys.

cheers

I have heard of this, but it has not been an issue where I work, because there just isnt much "man tracking" done in most of the US.

As far as crime scenes, Ive been asked for my boot size before, but thats about it.

Even In Idaho, dont think its that common, but my experience in the rescue community was on the tech (i.e. rope nazi) side and not on the Search side. Who knows though. Neat topic to bring up.

Edited by croaker260

I will just wear my duty boots now next time I commit a crime.

I know a few people, including myself who still do mark the bottoms of our boots. It has been practiced here for a while among a few of us. First thing we do is mark the bottoms.

I also keep a medical alert dealie in my right boot. Containing the usual info.

I can't say I've ever notched my boots actually. Speaking in terms of organized professionals (police/fire/ems) I would expect the majority of people on these kinds of scenes to be wearing issued footwear and thus all have the same tread pattern. I would expect that to simplify the search more than notching your boots as your subject is unlikely to be wearing the cheap crap they try to issue. ;) Of course I refuse to wear the garbage footwear issue myself so maybe I should cut a notch in them.

I can't say I've ever notched my boots actually. Speaking in terms of organized professionals (police/fire/ems) I would expect the majority of people on these kinds of scenes to be wearing issued footwear and thus all have the same tread pattern. I would expect that to simplify the search more than notching your boots as your subject is unlikely to be wearing the cheap crap they try to issue. ;) Of course I refuse to wear the garbage footwear issue myself so maybe I should cut a notch in them.

The typical Vibram pattern can get rather confusing. :whistle:

Can you notch Rock Slippers ? Bwahaa ha ha ha . :devilish:

Or, if this seems to be an issue for you, simply snap a rubber band over each foot to differentiate..

I think I read that in a mystery novel...

Dwayne

Thats a tripping hazard and for assiephil its the only way he knows what is left and right.

Thats a tripping hazard and for assiephil its the only way he knows what is left and right.

You guys are funny! I can see the turnip going out and buying rubber bands and as far as phil goes all i can say is :icecream:

I've not done this at all, nor have I heard of it within the EMS community here. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just not familiar with it.

I think the boots I use for SAR actually have very little tread left. So, if they find shoe shaped ski tracks in the mud, that will be me.

I was thinking you were putting a notch in your boots for saves or something, I was about to just post "WHACKERS" in 36 font.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.