Airvac

Happiness

I was just going to post the same article. I think these membership programs are going to expand. Wow is the word.

It's certainly not a cheap ride, however medicare/medicaid pay better for a flight and without question than they do an ambulance ride long distance. Also, what people fail to realize with the membership services is that it only covers you if they deem it neccessary, it doesn't cover you if another service transports you (if you're out of their service area sorry), and your insurance and the patient are still billed. If you have no insurance or it does not cover the entire amount, then it will only cover that. It does not cover insurance deductibles if they apply (ie you have to pay $5000 a year, then they cover so much) - they don't absorb the $5000 as well - you are responsible for that. Just something to think about with these membership companies, but $5000 is alot cheaper than $15000 plus !

The fact of the matter remains that comparing the US system to Canadian is a completely different horse, in many instances I would donate my left (N_T) to have a few more helos in strategic areas and with the capability of winch would be nice too.

The actual cost of medical evacuation remains comparable its just that its spread out over the entire population. Don't get too cocky their BC boys and Girls Alberta bails you out in Northern BC because some clown put a slowtation II out of Prince George when a shorter strip capability and more STOL craft was needed ... care to see my flight log and don't mind the dust.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

The fact of the matter remains that comparing the US system to Canadian is a completely different horse, in many instances I would donate my left (N_T) to have a few more helos in strategic areas and with the capability of winch would be nice too.

The actual cost of medical evacuation remains comparable its just that its spread out over the entire population. Don't get too cocky their BC boys and Girls Alberta bails you out in Northern BC because some clown put a slowtation II out of Prince George when a shorter strip capability and more STOL craft was needed ... care to see my flight log and don't mind the dust.

cheers

Quoted for accuracy. Everything you just mentioned here Squint is exactly the truth. The patient in BC still only pays the $85 flat fee whether the flight is done by BC medics or it's contracted out. Overall ALS coverage (particularly flight coverage) is atrocious in BC. Prince George has the last ALS unit in the province as you head north yet it's actually in the geographical centre of the province. There still isn't a helo stationed in PG either BTW. Fixed wing and ground only. Actual costs are distributed over the entire population of the province. Everyone in BC has basic health insurance covered by the BC medical services plan. This includes all ambulance costs (ground or flight) beyond the $85 flat user fee within the province.

<Edit>

I would be the first one applying to any flight position including SAR evacs. First we need to figure out how to get paid here unfortunately. Easy on that forward thinking stuff ;).

Edited by rock_shoes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.