MAS 70s Promo Video

Kiwiology

I happened across these old videos from the 70s of the Melbourne ambulance service (aka Ambulance Service Melbourne, then more recently Metropolitan Ambulance Service and now Ambulanve Victoria).

Now as unlikely as I am to promote the Australians they are a great look at the how things in this part of the world have changed since the 70s and they feature MICA (mobile intensive care ambulance (ALS)) of the day which is a serious whoot frickin Johnny and Roy down under!

As lure has it, Melbourne's MICA Paramedics were in the third such service in the world starting in 1971 (behind Seattle, '67 and Miami in 1969). New Zealand unfortunately rounds out at #4 with the Auckland mobile life support project beginning in 1972 - grumble, grumble.

http://www.paramedic-community.com/ahsv/videos/archive/asm_rotary.html

http://www.paramedic-community.com/ahsv/videos/archive/25yrMICA.html

Edited by kiwimedic
  • Like 2

Yeah I agree they're pretty good; when I was in Melbourne I was just around the corner from Box Hill Hospital where MICA 5 was based.

This proves what i have been saying all along....

I wish i had a lifepak 5 and an orange plano drug box :D

This proves what i have been saying all along....

I wish i had a lifepak 5 and an orange plano drug box :D

I'd settle for a Lifepak 10 (you could at least do a 9 lead with one) and we had the orange plano drug boxes (big tackle box) and I loved them!

Dunno what weird scoop type thing that was on the MICA unit but I'll stick to my Ferno scoop thanks

I'm gonna start saying Feeble instead of weak. :ball:

I think the term for that stretcher used in the MICA bit is break away flat, or a Jordan-Frame Stretcher.

Phil may be able to confirm that, but I'm sure it's either a Kerry Jordan Stretcher or a Jordan Frame.

I think the term for that stretcher used in the MICA bit is break away flat, or a Jordan-Frame Stretcher.

Trust you to know that :lol:

Weirdest thing I ever did see; Google seems to confirm they are uniquely Australian and not something I have seen before. I don't see the logic of having a frame with slats but it was the 70s after all.

Edited by kiwimedic

Trust you to know that :lol:

Weirdest thing I ever did see; Google seems to confirm they are uniquely Australian and not something I have seen before. I don't see the logic of having a frame with slats but it was the 70s after all.

I watched it twice and couldn't see what you were referring to, but yeah, shoulda just guessed jordan frame.

I watched it twice and couldn't see what you were referring to, but yeah, shoulda just guessed jordan frame.

mica_stretcher.jpg

Indeed you are correct 'tis a Jordan lifting frame, a uniquely Australian apparatus from the mid seventies.

Would still prefer a scoop stretcher however.

Edited by kiwimedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.