Paramedic Cert to Paramedic Degree

46Young

I posted a while back about the pursuing an RN or RRT degree for both career development and other presonal benefit. I think the best initial course of action would be to upgrade my medic (tech) cert to a legit degree. I intend to speak with career development when I return to work tomorrow. In the meantime, does anyone have any insight as to how these programs work? What scams are out there? What schools should I stay away from? I wouldn't imagine that it would take an additional two years to earn the degree if a cert program was already completed, and also with sufficient relevant work experience.

If it's an easy enough process, as in career friendly and family friendly, perhaps many others could be motivated to upgrade their tech certs as well, to the benefit of our pts, ourselves, and the profession as a whole. If it's a pain in the a$$, the profession may continue to stagnate.

The education advocates here may want to glance over this link

http://www.worldwidelearn.com/online-education-guide/health-medical/emt-paramedic-major.htm

Thanks for the lead. I found this on a quick search -

http://www.worldwidelearn.com/campus...302107/162008/

I already have the medic credentials, FF 1 and 2, as well as life experiences. It seems too easy, though. I'm wondering if schools like this are legit or are just joke degrees, only looking for your money, with no transfer anywhere or acknowledged by employers, which is the whole point of the thing anyway.

Thanks for the lead. I found this on a quick search -

http://www.worldwidelearn.com/campus...302107/162008/

I already have the medic credentials, FF 1 and 2, as well as life experiences. It seems too easy, though. I'm wondering if schools like this are legit or are just joke degrees, only looking for your money, with no transfer anywhere or acknowledged by employers, which is the whole point of the thing anyway.

Wherever you got your tech cert may be affiliated with a shcool, allowing you to transfer your paramedic time so that you just need A&P I&II, Bio, and geneds like english, speech, etc.

YOu ought to be able to do everything online except for your Bio and A&P labs (or speech if thats required)

There are several schools which offer a degree completion option including where I graduated from and two others that I know offer legit programs. The one school offers either the associates or bachelors option in either clinical science or fire science option and the other two are associates only. In these schools they usually require you obtain a certain amount of hours from them of general eds or whatever (usually around 20). They will grant full credit for your paramedic certification and because cardiology, pharmacology are required pre reqs you can test out of those classes and be given credit (at that university) and things such as A and P are allowed to transfer in along with any other classes from other universities. Any of the remaining classes can be completed online without trouble providing you have 6 months experience as a medic.

If anyone would like specifics, feel free to PM me and I'll forward details regarding the schools.

Make sure it is a bachelors degree, an associates won't do much for you in most situations. A bachelors degree looks better and will do more for our industry as a whole. An associates degree should honestly be the minimum level of education for a paramedic anyways.

-Nate

along these lines does anyone have any experience or knowledge of programs such as the "college network" that provide you with the prereq classes to get into programs at certain universities (what I'm thinking of is the EMS management program I believe it is at George washington University). They grant credit for your medic or basic whichever you have, then provide the remaining courses as pre-reqs to get into the program. I also understand they offer a medic to RN deal but not sure the college they work with for that.

What I'm curious is do they have some type of arranged "seating" (ie so many open spaces for entrants per classes like certain states for vet and med schools)? Is entrance determined by a testing process ? Or is it a free for all or is it you go through all this and there is a strong likelihood that you may not even get into the program? I have been curious about that as I've seen the program widely advertised across the net, but know little about it and don't know of any that have done it, but I admit I'm highly suspicious of any program which says they can provide you admission into a highly competitive school such as GWU provided you meet their minimum standards of acceptance. Any one provide insight here? And NO I'm not considering this, just curious.

I've been looking into the paramedic to RN option as well as the LPN to RN option. One thing to make sure of - if you're trying to get your RN with one of those online programs, like Phoenix, check with your state board of nursing to make sure that they will accept that educational institution. Many of these programs are accredited in some states and not others - and you can pay a ton of money to take an online LPN to RN program, or paramedic to RN program, and then find out your state won't let you sit for the NCLEX because they haven't accredited the online program.

Point very well taken Florida student ! Excelsior college is currently among one of the most popular in this debate, but I'm sure many more are included.