New KED??

jvwain

Good for immobilizing kids, and the occasional fx pelvis/hip.

I have to agree with Beagle, if the patient is critical then do a rapid PHTLS style extrication onto an LSB. When they can tolerate the longer extrication time, use the KED/KODE/IDEA etc.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What AZCEP said.

If your local protocols call for the device to be used, use the damn thing, even though it does take up some time to do it right.

It's a case of CYA or CYA (Cover Your Ass, or Call Your Attorney!)

Hennepin county, MN which encompasses about 9 different EMS's, 2 level I trauma centers and about 750,000 citizens has a consortium for standardization of protocols adn equipment, and about two years ago they took KEDS and short boards out of all trucks operating in hennepin county, and took out the protocol for them.

they did this on the premise that manula stabilization of the spine is the best stabilization, and that by jockeying the pt into a KED/SBB and then onto a LBB, you run a higher risk of jacking up the pt's spine then if you just went strainght for a LBB with good manula stabilization.

I work for one of the services that use these protocols and one that still carries KEDx2 on each truck, and although i feel that the KED/SBB have their place, you can do a comparable job of immobilization with just a LBB and a provider who knows what they are doing when it comes to their BLS skills.

We have been using the protocol without any incidents of spine becoming more compirmised, so i guess they will stay with it. now if they owulodl only get rid of those philly collars.

We didn't use them all the time, but they've been in the PA protocols for 20 some years. We always used the short boards. They were light, wooden, disposable - if needed to be, and nobody ever stole them. City of Pitt went through thousands of KED's, I'm willing to bet, they could be all over the world b/c most of the time you never saw them again. The only true use I ever seen is for suspected spinal injuries in an MVC, people w/ head injuries in the MVC, hip fx's & dislocations & immobilizing a pediatric patient for just about everything. You could always keep their arms down if they were combative, so it worked fine, try it sometime. I would never say they are useless, but they aren't my favorite tool. Of course the short board isn't my favorite tool either. Keeping them was just another reason not to have those clumsy old orange CPR boards. They (hudson cpr board) were too big to fit in with the long boards, and too odd to be kept in a corner, unlike the CPR board.

I use KED's because that's the local protocol, I just think they're a waste of time 99% of the time.

If you lack the communication skills to explain yourself to us, just tell us and we'll understand. But otherwise, I would still like to hear a little explanation as to why you feel this way, and what experience you base your opinion on.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you. I just think you ought to have the integrity to explain your opinions if you're going to spout them off.

huh...seems i asked a question about something and got a completely different response. so i'll ask again. has anyone seen or heard about the new KED? its by KED so its not the iron duck thing or anything its a new version of Kendrick's KED.. so to clarify i want to know about the NEW KED not about how you feel about its usefullness. thank you.

In the 6 years I have been in EMS I think I have used the KED about 4 times...the same pertains to the traction splint whch I have used all of once...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.