The Ultimate Paramedic Resume

Bamx

Hey guys!

I am trying to build the ultimate resume for a Paramedic. I want to be able to put my application in anywhere throughout the nation, and land the position I want, due to my stellar resume and experience.

At the moment I am an NREMT B with a general studies associates degree. Most of the Medic courses offered around me require you to be a basic for at least 2 years. Since I will have some time to kill before I can apply for Medic course, I was wondering what the best 4 year degree is to go hand and hand with an NREMT. I have heard a lot about degrees in Management being very helpful due to the fact that EMS and Fire are extremely hectic worlds always looking for some organization.

So what do you think is the best 4 year degree a Medic could hold to better his position, pay and life.

Thanks for you input ahead of time

-Derek

• Like 2

Hey guys!

I am trying to build the ultimate resume for a Paramedic. I want to be able to put my application in anywhere throughout the nation, and land the position I want, due to my stellar resume and experience.

At the moment I am an NREMT B with a general studies associates degree. Most of the Medic courses offered around me require you to be a basic for at least 2 years. Since I will have some time to kill before I can apply for Medic course, I was wondering what the best 4 year degree is to go hand and hand with an NREMT. I have heard a lot about degrees in Management being very helpful due to the fact that EMS and Fire are extremely hectic worlds always looking for some organization.

So what do you think is the best 4 year degree a Medic could hold to better his position, pay and life.

-Derek

RN or BSN (4 year)

RN or BSN (4 year)

For the long term.....BSN is good. Business management with an MBA tract is even better, or a management degree with a focus on health administration. A masters or a doctorate in public health is good too, but not for staying in EMS/Fire.

But honestly, for the short term....try just getting you core courses for a BS out of the way, with A/P and a language for the short term. Seriously, TAKE a language..and not just a semester...LEARN one. A lot of people like Spanish, but in our area French is almost as valuable (lots of French speaking Africans), and German is good too (Bosians, Serbs, etc usually speak some German)

Here's a secret: Your education credentials may get you the interview..but YOU get the job, not your resume. Get some life experience that is valuable to your employer, such as language, travel abroad, internships with social services type of work..the military, anything to make you stand out from the hundreds of young 20-something wanna be firemen/wanna be heroes out there who have only done EMS or hung around wacking off to Rescue Me/Back Draft and nothing else.

Edited by croaker260
  • Like 4

Hey guys!

-Derek

Derek,

Excellent question, and I have no doubt you will get a lot of differing opinions.

My ITAO is it depends on how long you plan on doing actual patient care? I have been in EMS since I was 19 and healthcare since 17 (CNA), so now at 36, I am DONE taking care of patients. Hence, I went to Graduate school for a double masters: MBA/MHA.

Since you are looking to the 4 year route, I would recommend a BS in Business for sure...Nothing against the RN, BSN route, but if you are really not up for being a Nurse, ( As I was NOT), A business degree is where you need to go.....

IF you are planning on Med School, PA, etc.....then I would recommend a BS in some science related field.

The business degree will give you a boatload of options should you get hurt, or tire of taking care of patients. If you go the business route, I would also say go and get your MBA, as this will pretty much help you write your own ticket as you indicated you wanted to achieve.

Good Luck,

Respectfully,

JW

• Like 2

When I was coming out of college, the career services people told me, "The resume gets you the interview. The interview gets you the job."

I'd recommend a resume template you can find on most any word processing program and probably a million other places online. Then focus on your interview skills.

I know a medic who went for a job, and he could've run circles around the other candidates clinically. But he died in the interview, left a horrible impression on the committee.

When I was coming out of college, the career services people told me, "The resume gets you the interview. The interview gets you the job."

I'd recommend a resume template you can find on most any word processing program and probably a million other places online. Then focus on your interview skills.

I know a medic who went for a job, and he could've run circles around the other candidates clinically. But he died in the interview, left a horrible impression on the committee.

I think you are misunderstanding my original post. Actually by what you posted it looks like you did not even read the original post. I know the interview and your social skills land you a job. I just want to know what I can do to make my resume get me places.

• Like 2

Actually by what you posted it looks like you did not even read the original post. I know the interview and your social skills land you a job.

I want to be able to put my application in anywhere throughout the nation, and land the position I want, due to my stellar resume and experience.

Funny, I don't see a word about interviewing.

Edited by CBEMT
  • Like 1

A business degree will do you more good than nursing degree. When you're in the management roll you have to look at it a business (even if you're a non-profit organization). Someone with a business degree will run circles around someone with a nursing degree trying to manage a business (unless they just happen to be the next management guru).

-Nate

• Like 1

Like I said before, I have been told buisness degrees are the way to go. My question is why? I mean aside from running your own ambulance company, how does a business degree enhance your NREMT-p? As much as I like business, I do not think that 2 more years of business school will make me totally happy. Its a shame I have to wait to take my medic course, but I want to make the best of it.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.