New Zeland medics.

Now that's a good point mate, if you have a nursing Degree (note: in NZ "Degree" always means Bachelors Degree, we call an associates degree a Diploma) you could register with the Nursing Council; you'd get a job pretty quick I immagine but you might get paid more working for the ambo's.

If you are bought in at the BLS level here (which may or may not happen) you will work up through ILS to the ALS level you won't stay at BLS forever!

The reason I will have a nursing degree is because I sighned a contract

when I started school. I used my Hospital Corpsman experience to enter a

nursing program for paramedics. However I tried to get out of it and they wont let me drop out. They want my money. So I have no choice but finish it. After working in the ER and dealing with drauma queen nurses and burned out nurses .I missed the road. Saw many a paramedic fired because the nurses took everthing personnel. Decided I dont like that type of cutthroat

medicine. Thanks for all the info though. Cheers.

Edited by medic82942003

nursing program for paramedics. However I tried to get out of it and they wont let me drop out. They want my money. So I have no choice but finish it. After working in the ER and dealing with drauma queen nurses and burned out nurses .I missed the road. Saw many a paramedic fired because the nurses took everthing personnel. Decided I dont like that type of cutthroat

medicine. Thanks for all the info though. Cheers. Alot of people lie about military service, I am not.

Last post for me was the USS Guam, HMM-365. out of jacksonville NC. I flew combat SAR with the Marines

out in gulf region 90-91. We had 5,000 people, on a 30 year old vietnam era ship. (designed for 2,000)

I slept in the Forward battle dressing station- while the Iraqis floated old ww2 contact mines toward the

ship. The only thing keeping me from buying the farm so to speak, was 2 shipmates watching 24/7 with

glasses, night vision goggles, and old m-14 rifles. The hull was so old,shipyard workers could shot throught it with a nailgun. EOD told me dont worry Doc, if a mine hits you- you wont feel a thing. The

explosion happens so fast your neurons cant send a signal fast enough to your brain. Cheers.

Why would you want to go to New Zealand and attempt to obtain work as a Basic Life Support provider when you will have a degree in nursing?

No offense to New Zealand providers; however, things do not add up in my mind. True, I worked over seas as an Intermediate Life Support Paramedic; however, the pay was just a bit better.

Take care,

chbare.

The thing to remember is that not all EMS providors are as 'Basic' as US providors.

What is considered a basic for example where I am, is probably somwhere between an EMT-I & EMP-P.

To try to compare the antiquated US systemm to the rest of the world is really an error.

No error, a simple question of money and opportunity. All the trouble of attempting to move around the world and attempting to land employment at $36,000 - $45,000 a year when you have a degree that can take you many places in the United Stated is rather interesting IMHO. With the global economy not doing all that well, I suspect an American with a level of education in EMS that is much different than New Zealand would most likely face some difficulty obtaining employment. Additionally, the OP has not even visited New Zealand. Therefore, giving up on a potentially good career path based on bad experiences in one ER to move across the world in order to attempt to seek employment in a country you have yet to visit where your wages will be much lower is an interesting concept, IMHO.

Take care,

chbare.

No error, a simple question of money and opportunity. All the trouble of attempting to move around the world and attempting to land employment at $36,000 - $45,000 a year when you have a degree that can take you many places in the United Stated is rather interesting IMHO.

$36K-$45K

I wouldnt work for that. Without a degree, in EMS, I earn more than double that. My education was paid for by the company I work for. I still have the opportunities.

$36K-$45K

I wouldnt work for that. Without a degree, in EMS, I earn more than double that. My education was paid for by the company I work for. I still have the opportunities.

I was simply quoting numbers from one of our NZ members.

Take care,

chbare.

Follow your dream not your dollar! I just gave up $150K/yr cause it just isn't fun being miserable with money when you can be happy with a whole lot less!

A well travelled RN or Paramedic is lot more valuable than a cranky one that has been in the same place forever!

• Like 1

Follow your dream not your dollar! I just gave up $150K/yr cause it just isn't fun being miserable with money when you can be happy with a whole lot less!

A well travelled RN or Paramedic is lot more valuable than a cranky one that has been in the same place forever!

Why cant you have both? Why should EMS not be remunerated to a point where it is profitable for the individual???????

medicine. Thanks for all the info though. Cheers.

If you already saw this "cutthroat" stuff, why did you even consider nursing school?

It sounds like you already have formed an opinion against nursess. If you don't want to be a nurse, dump that program and finish a degree in EMS. Many colleges may allow you to transfer whatever military education money to other courses.

Are you attending a college nursing program or the famous mail order program for Paramedic to RN?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.