How hard is it to transfer EMT/paramedic license to another state?

The NR is now the state exam for the EMT-B. Once certified, FL will issue you their certification to function as an EMT in the state. Transferring with the NR, you may not have a problem in many of the states. You will of course have to apply for certification in the state of your choosing to work there and pay the fees.

For Paramedic, FL has its own state exam and that may be an issue in some states.

The NR is now the state exam for the EMT-B. Once certified, FL will issue you their certification to function as an EMT in the state. Transferring with the NR, you may not have a problem in many of the states. You will of course have to apply for certification in the state of your choosing to work there and pay the fees.

For Paramedic, FL has its own state exam and that may be an issue in some states.

So it would be easier to transfer to another state as an EMT then it would as a paramedic (depending on which state?) I'm most likely looking at New York or New Jersey if I were to move.

http://www.nyhealth.gov/nysdoh/ems/certification/reciprocity.htm

Click on the information packet for NYS EMT reciprocity.

You'll be much better off completing your medic program in NYC or NJ. Ride alongs are on double medic units, who only get ALS call types, a large number of them. Compare this to other areas in the country where the ALS units run everything. Time spent on medic unit ride alongs need not be wasted on calls that aren't challenging your newly learned knowledge and capabilities. Outside of NY/NJ these units only get true ALS calls that are few and far between. Instead, you'll be running a bunch of minor injuries, psych pts, sick calls (may be something more, but not likely - always do a full assessment), drunks and such. Not that these pts aren't important, but you ought to have more of a challenge during medic ride alongs. In NY/NJ a typical 8-12 hour rotation will produce a cardiac arrest or two, a CHF pt, critical asthmatic, maybe an MI or two, unconscious/apneic junkie, multi-trauma, etc. You'll have at least 2-3 good jobs per rotation, maybe more. No exaggeration. Just pull rotations in the rougher parts of B'klyn, uptown in the city, most of the Bronx. The learning curve will go through the roof.

Many of these medics aren't degree medics, however. You decide if they're good at what they do or not.

• Like 1

http://www.nyhealth.gov/nysdoh/ems/certification/reciprocity.htm

Click on the information packet for NYS EMT reciprocity.

You'll be much better off completing your medic program in NYC or NJ. Ride alongs are on double medic units, who only get ALS call types, a large number of them. Compare this to other areas in the country where the ALS units run everything. Time spent on medic unit ride alongs need not be wasted on calls that aren't challenging your newly learned knowledge and capabilities. Outside of NY/NJ these units only get true ALS calls that are few and far between. Instead, you'll be running a bunch of minor injuries, psych pts, sick calls (may be something more, but not likely - always do a full assessment), drunks and such. Not that these pts aren't important, but you ought to have more of a challenge during medic ride alongs. In NY/NJ a typical 8-12 hour rotation will produce a cardiac arrest or two, a CHF pt, critical asthmatic, maybe an MI or two, unconscious/apneic junkie, multi-trauma, etc. You'll have at least 2-3 good jobs per rotation, maybe more. No exaggeration. Just pull rotations in the rougher parts of B'klyn, uptown in the city, most of the Bronx. The learning curve will go through the roof.

Many of these medics aren't degree medics, however. You decide if they're good at what they do or not.

Very interesting point. I'd MUCH rather be busy than be answering call after call to senior citizens who thought they had difficulty breathing but are fine by the time we get there. My big concern though - okay, two concerns. 1.) Rent in New York is expensive. I have two teenagers, so I can't go live in a studio apartment somewhere, and I MUST be in a good school district. 2.) I'd need to be in New York for a full year so I could be a resident of New York before I could take the courses at community college and get the New York State resident college price, wouldn't I?

I have two teenagers, so I can't go live in a studio apartment somewhere, and I MUST be in a good school district.

New York + good school district = contradiction of terms

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.