NREMT will be discontinued in KY?

Johntom2000

When I became an EMT-Basic I took the state test administered here in Texas. When I became a paramedic I took the NREMT-P test. I let my NREMT-P go after the two years were up and I work for a municipal service. I saw no point in paying someone money every two years just so I could have the ability to move to another state.

The NREMT-P test is not difficult, it is not tricky, it is just like every other assessment/exit/capstone type test. My instructor didn't teach NREMT-P, he kept on teaching us how to be paramedics. He told us to review our notes, to take our time, read each question, and think about what you'd do first, second, third.

I get tired of people saying that the problem is only NREMT. I don't agree with NREMT, but it is better then no standardized testing at all. The only way EMS is ever going to progress is for it to become more uniform. A paramedic should be the same "type" in every state. The same for other levels.

-Nate

• Like 3

Yeah but the question is How many HOURS A week do you have to work to do that??? not just 40 for sure!!

~Street

I work an average of 56 hours/wk. If you discount a hour or two of PT a day plus sleeping and studying for college courses on duty, it's more like 40 hours or less XD. Plus, it's not really like work anyway. People volunteer to do this, it's so enjoyable. I make around 69k as a base, with a lower cost of living and around half the cost for housing that I had in NYC, where I was making only 60k/yr before leaving.

Funny how you're willing to blame everyone but the candidate taking the test. If a candidate can't pass after multiple attempts, the problem doesn't lie with the exam or the instruction.

Further, it sounds as if you're bitter simply because you couldn't pass a test that was written at a level so that someone with even a minimal high school education could pass.

It has also previously been established, right here in these discussion forums, that the cost of living in your area pretty much negates what might otherwise be considered an impressive salary. So knock it off already.

-be safe

Diazepam's cost of living may be high, but his pension will be just as high. He can leave for an area with a lower cost of living post retirement and live like a king. That's what I'm going to do. I plan to keep equity out of my house, invest it, sell my primary residence at retirement, buy another in a lower cost of living area, mortgage 80%, add the rest to my previous investments, and let the interest pay my mortgage in full, or close to it. Financially free baby!

I found the NREMT about as challenging as the NYS exam. NY dosn't use it, or allow reciprocity in with the NREMT-P. IMO, it's only a necessary evil for those who want to work in another state without doing a challenge refresher.

Edited by 46Young
  • Like 1

Diazepam's cost of living may be high, but his pension will be just as high. He can leave for an area with a lower cost of living post retirement and live like a king.

And I so look forward to this day...having lived in SC and FL and enjoyed all the Northern retirees/Snowbirds or others who migrated for cost reasons who find their way to our piece of the pie then lie around and do nothing but complain about how this is not how they do it back home while at the same time burdening the very system which they pay very little into and falsely inflating home prices because by offering more on a home that is at fair market price because they are still getting a deal. If it was so great to be there, why did you leave? Broad generalization...yes...common...very!

And I so look forward to this day...having lived in SC and FL and enjoyed all the Northern retirees/Snowbirds or others who migrated for cost reasons who find their way to our piece of the pie then lie around and do nothing but complain about how this is not how they do it back home while at the same time burdening the very system which they pay very little into and falsely inflating home prices because by offering more on a home that is at fair market price because they are still getting a deal. If it was so great to be there, why did you leave? Broad generalization...yes...common...very!

It's a NY tradition to take a huge cash bolus down south, jack up home values, and try to make the new neighborhood as much as like it was where we came from as we can :)

Well my regular work hours are about 10 twenty-four hours shifts a month a couple of overtime shits maybe three a month and Iam at over 100k ayear with about 17 days off a month.

You have changed your pay and hours worked way too many times in the various threads and forums for any of your statements to have much credibility. It is not that difficult for anyone to check your base pay on the FD's website.

• Like 1

You have changed your pay and hours worked way too many times in the various threads and forums for any of your statements to have much credibility. It is not that difficult for anyone to check your base pay on the FD's website.

Well, the base is on LAFS.org, but we have a five year step program 4 years into it myself, and really doesn't cost that much to live in Los Angeles with the housing market the way it is, infact my mortgae has about 6 years left and then I'll sell when the markets back up and make more bank lol, but really it's a sweet gig out here even though were not progressive to so many, I say make all you can until it's gets progressive and things change, but waite it's been 30 plus years and thing are the same, guess I'll just make as much as I can.

Re the snowbirds and retirees moving to Florida and/or Arizona from New York City...

Momma B is breaking the law. She retired as a New York City Teacher, and didn't move to either of those states, remaining in New York City. Supposedly, all teacher retirees by law must move to Florida!

Well, the base is on LAFS.org, but we have a five year step program 4 years into it myself, and really doesn't cost that much to live in Los Angeles with the housing market the way it is, infact my mortgae has about 6 years left and then I'll sell when the markets back up and make more bank lol, but really it's a sweet gig out here even though were not progressive to so many, I say make all you can until it's gets progressive and things change, but waite it's been 30 plus years and thing are the same, guess I'll just make as much as I can.

Why sell when the market goes back up? Refi, take equity out of the house, as much as you can and still have reasonable montly payments. Invest the proceeds in a portfolio that earns a higher return than the interest rate of the mortgage. don't prepay into principal, either. Invest that as well. Mortgage interest is tax deductible, payments to principal are not. Your investment account will grow much larger than the amount of interest you would have saved through prepayment. You wouldn't keep money under the mattress, would you? So why keep it in the walls of your house? With that investment account, you can still pay off your house early if you want, and you have greater liquidity - the money is available in case of emergency. Even if your portfolio only matches the interest rate of the mortgage, two things will work in your favor - compound interest, and tax-deductible mortgage interest. Don't prepay principal to the bank, let those funds work for you instead. Otherwise, you'll never see that money again, unless you take out a home equity loan. It baffles me how individuals think that it's actually a good idea to prepay principal, and later borrow it back from the bank.

Or, sell your house during the next housing boom, buy another in a cheaper area, put 20% down, invest the rest, and let the interest pay a large chunk of your mortgage payment, if not all of it. Couple that with a pension and deferred comp with some equity exposure to outpace inflation while providing income to compensate for that same rate of inflation, and you're set.

• Like 1

Fifteen fixed mortgage rates are about 4.5% right now. A good return would be between 7-10% on an investment. Investing equity from your house is not a very bright idea. What happens when the markets tank again? Your home is an investment in itself, and should be looked upon as a long-term safe investment. I wouldn't suggest anyone do that unless they are experienced in the markets and are currently financially secure. Most financial planners would not recommend doing this for many reasons.

-Nate

Fifteen fixed mortgage rates are about 4.5% right now. A good return would be between 7-10% on an investment. Investing equity from your house is not a very bright idea. What happens when the markets tank again? Your home is an investment in itself, and should be looked upon as a long-term safe investment. I wouldn't suggest anyone do that unless they are experienced in the markets and are currently financially secure. Most financial planners would not recommend doing this for many reasons.

-Nate

It's not a good stategy if you plan on selling in a short amount of time. Otherwise, it makes perfect sense. When the markets rise, pulling equity from your house to invest is a way to capture that equity should prices dip again. That works as long as your monthly payments are wholly affordable. Who cares if home prices dip again if you don't plan to move? It's an unrealized loss, or rather a realized gain, as you've invested that equity. You know that an equity will only sell for as much as the buyer is willing to pay.

Owning a home outright is far from a safe investment. If I prepay into principal rather than invest the same amount, I'll eventually end up house rich and cash poor. What happens if you lose your job? You'll have a home (as long as you can still pay property taxes), but you can no longer buy food or other basic necessities. By taking out equity and reinvesting it you're enjoying the mortgage interest write off all over again, and also the compound interest of that new equity, with the reinvested tax savings, along with any funds that you would otherwise pay into principal, at a compounded rate. Prepayments into principal only save you whatever the interest rate of your mortgage is, the same as simple interest, not compound.

This is far from risky. This is why: the housing market is sizzling, and you've taken equity out, leaving about 20% in. The monthly payments are affordable. The equity is in your portfolio. It can be applied back toward the principal at any time you wish. The new interest savings along with a higher return will more than compensate for the fees assosciated with underwriting a new mortgage, even if you do it for a couple of years. That's the key point. You can put that cash back into the house whenever you want. Or, you can repeat the process when your salary grows significantly in proportion to the monthly payments. This is a safe way to make your house's equity work for you. Grow your portfolio large enough, and the interest will pay your mortgage. Maybe not in full, but then maybe it can.

Think about it. By following this strategy, the equity in your house can pay your mortgage for you. the key is to refi when interest rates are low, and the payments hold a large ratio of principal to interest, in favor of principal. You have a BBA, run the numbers and you'll see how it's a sound plan.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.