Options to Add Strobes/Lights to go off upon page

Zach Smith

I wired my house with www.x10.com automated light switches. I know, the website looks cheesy, but the switches work well. I would suggest getting them on ebay though, it's cheaper. I have the software on my computer set the transmitter to turn on several lights in the house when I press one button beside my bed. Works like a charm and can even be set to turn off after a few minutes so I don't have to do it manually.

As to the OP, sorry, I know it can be done, but I'm not tech savvy enough to help ya there.

Thx Arcticat!

I read a study and will have to do some digging, on departments who use the gentle waking system versus the sudden waking system. If memory serves me correct the department that used a gentle system had less overall stress and burnout rates and maybe even less cardiac related issues with providers. Anyone remember this article? I'm going to go look through the amazing world of google :)

Its called the "Startle Response" a study was conducted in Ontario for Fire Fighters, the conclusion of was that loud tones flashing lights +++ did have a negative effects re: increased cardiac issues.

I in fact knew this topic would resurface so I saved the study, but where in my files :iiam:

Arctickat:

I'm not tech savvy enough to help ya there.

Yea Ok Right Then, this from the the President GEEK SQUAD .... :rolleyes:

mobey:

Ever think of buying a Klapper or a motion detecting light for 20 bucks from Kanukistanian Tire ?

Edited by tniuqs

What I find interesting is years ago, the county I worked for changed their annoying alarm system to a gentle awake system. We were all a little skeptical at first but absolutely loved it. No one slept through the tones and it was a much easier way of waking up to be sent on a call. You did not have your heart racing 100+, you did not have the BP spike and you were in a good mood.

The alarm and lights would start at a very low setting and increase in intensity with each cycle. I think there were 5 cycles maybe before the lights were fully on and the tone was at peak.

I never saw anyone still in bed after the 2nd cycle. We were all impressed that we were able to wake up to such low tones and light settings and I imagine if a study were ever done on the physiological response exhibited by emergency responders when being woken at 0300 for an emergency call, this would reign king.

One of our stations has this, and it is indeed much nicer.

Did the whackers run out of places on their POVs to install more than $20,000.00 worth of lights?

Since they've turned their vehicles into 'rolling disco balls', now it's time to start turning the house into a 'dance club'?

I'm surprised that no one has suggested mounting a full sized light bar to the ceiling and wiring a power converter into the house electrical system in addition to trying to find a 'trigger device' to activate it!

While we're at it, how about wiring a siren into it as well? now THAT will be GUARANTEED to roll even the most 'sound sleeper' out of bed when the next call comes in!

I've got an extra $25.00, time to buy a new flashing light!

• Like 1

Did the whackers run out of places on their POVs to install more than $20,000.00 worth of lights?

Since they've turned their vehicles into 'rolling disco balls', now it's time to start turning the house into a 'dance club'?

I'm surprised that no one has suggested mounting a full sized light bar to the ceiling and wiring a power converter into the house electrical system in addition to trying to find a 'trigger device' to activate it!

While we're at it, how about wiring a siren into it as well? now THAT will be GUARANTEED to roll even the most 'sound sleeper' out of bed when the next call comes in!

LS did we forget what i have in my room will sale

As Momma B is hard of hearing, I have explored flashing and strobe alerting devices to go off when the telephone rings. Perhaps someone could convert one of these devices to activate when a radio signal "breaks the squelch" on a Motorola Minitor pager, or competing brand pager/monitor.

(Due to pride, Momma B won't let me purchase and install such device on the telephone)

You never know, aparently we may be getting green lights for our POV when on call in Saskatchewan

What about this "soft wake" system? I'd like to know a little more about that. One i'm running out of clean sheets due to the occasional crap myself moment when tones go off (I have to sleep with my radio on high)

You never know, aparently we may be getting green lights for our POV when on call in Saskatchewan

What about this "soft wake" system? I'd like to know a little more about that. One i'm running out of clean sheets due to the occasional crap myself moment when tones go off (I have to sleep with my radio on high)

Dude please do not put lights on your POV.

It is actually legal to do so already.... but does not grant you any extra law-breaking authority.

Are you dispatched by M.D.? If so, you already use heartsaver tones.... they start off low and quiet then get higher-pitched and louder. You may have to reduce the volume on your handheld to truly appreciate them though!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.