Options to Add Strobes/Lights to go off upon page

Zach Smith

I know many will see this as a dumb question, because as far as I know there isn't an easy way to do this. But I would like to find a way to setup my pager or even a UHF or scanner to set off strobe lights of some type during a page as well as an additional alarm. What type of technology would I need to have this work with my Motorola pager? Thanks in advance for your help.

It's possible.

In our bunk rooms we have the lights wired to turn on when we get a fire or EMS call. The ceiling has both fluorescent lighting and recessed halogen bulbs, and what they did was get colored bulbs to put in the halogen lights. They somehow have it wired so that the red and blue (as the colors happen to be) lights flash when we get a call. Its actually quite annoying and I feel adds undo stress to the already stressful process of being woken up at night by a loud alarm, and now flashing seizure lights.

Best of luck though :thumbsup:

I like the idea of lights coming on......

Especially when I am working nights on-call from home. Rather than searching for the lightswitch through a cobweb filled mind, if they came on automatically, that would be a help.

I don't really see how flashing lights would be a help though...... and it would be rather embaressing when I have company over :blink:

Sorry.... can't help ya, but I too am interested in some of the responces.

This is possible yes. Motorola actually makes a "base" for your alpha pager that when activated it will go off.. and it is... VERY LOUD. They are available to be set up so you can set a fire department tone to one pager sound/silent/vibrate.. also a different setting for EMS or whatever. Up to 4 different frequencies (since this is the limit of the pagers)

As for lights, there may be a product that does this. I am not sure if there is or not. If you are good with electronics though, a simple multi-meter and some solder will get you working. But I won't explain how to do this because it will void your warranty for sure. Google is your friend for that.

What I find interesting is years ago, the county I worked for changed their annoying alarm system to a gentle awake system. We were all a little skeptical at first but absolutely loved it. No one slept through the tones and it was a much easier way of waking up to be sent on a call. You did not have your heart racing 100+, you did not have the BP spike and you were in a good mood.

The alarm and lights would start at a very low setting and increase in intensity with each cycle. I think there were 5 cycles maybe before the lights were fully on and the tone was at peak.

I never saw anyone still in bed after the 2nd cycle. We were all impressed that we were able to wake up to such low tones and light settings and I imagine if a study were ever done on the physiological response exhibited by emergency responders when being woken at 0300 for an emergency call, this would reign king.

I read a study and will have to do some digging, on departments who use the gentle waking system versus the sudden waking system. If memory serves me correct the department that used a gentle system had less overall stress and burnout rates and maybe even less cardiac related issues with providers. Anyone remember this article? I'm going to go look through the amazing world of google :)

What I find interesting is years ago, the county I worked for changed their annoying alarm system to a gentle awake system. We were all a little skeptical at first but absolutely loved it. No one slept through the tones and it was a much easier way of waking up to be sent on a call. You did not have your heart racing 100+, you did not have the BP spike and you were in a good mood.

The alarm and lights would start at a very low setting and increase in intensity with each cycle. I think there were 5 cycles maybe before the lights were fully on and the tone was at peak.

I never saw anyone still in bed after the 2nd cycle. We were all impressed that we were able to wake up to such low tones and light settings and I imagine if a study were ever done on the physiological response exhibited by emergency responders when being woken at 0300 for an emergency call, this would reign king.

I tend to agree with ak here. After a non-stop night shift where you've already done 10 calls and finally get some rest, loud tones are the last thing you want to hear. When the call comes you have to go, but seeing as how alarm clocks and tones and related crap are probably the RUDEST devices ever made by humans, something softer might be a bit more appropriate. It's hard not to get mad at the tones, it's not their fault. It's some raisin who thinks because they haven't pooped properly in 4 days 3am is a good time to think it's an emergency. And of course it's even more infuriating when they have their jacket and shoes and everything on with their relative standing beside them saying "I'll just meet you at hospital" .... ok, bit of a rant there. But anyhow, soft tones and gentle lighting would I think help to reduce our frustration (HR and BP). Sounds a little more 'human friendly'.

The base escalates the sound.

I like the idea of lights coming on......

Especially when I am working nights on-call from home. Rather than searching for the lightswitch through a cobweb filled mind, if they came on automatically, that would be a help.

I don't really see how flashing lights would be a help though...... and it would be rather embaressing when I have company over :blink:

Sorry.... can't help ya, but I too am interested in some of the responces.

I wired my house with www.x10.com automated light switches. I know, the website looks cheesy, but the switches work well. I would suggest getting them on ebay though, it's cheaper. I have the software on my computer set the transmitter to turn on several lights in the house when I press one button beside my bed. Works like a charm and can even be set to turn off after a few minutes so I don't have to do it manually.

As to the OP, sorry, I know it can be done, but I'm not tech savvy enough to help ya there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.