H1N1 takes a family member

It has been confirmed by autopsy that my wife's step brother has succombed to H1N1 last week.

Duff .B. was 41 years old, with no medical history. He went to bed earlie last week feeling fatigued from his two day cough and fever, and did not wake up.

He was an established Chef, a father, brother, and friend to many.

Rest In Peace Duff..

Thx for the condolences, they will be passed onto my wife as well.

I have PM'd with a friend on this topic and I would like to share the other side of the story so to speak as I have been discussing with him, and stimulate a little conversation on the subject (like there aren't enough threads).

Mobey wrote:

I don't think education was to blame for this one. According to his roomate he "Really wasn't that sick".

Apperently he was coughing lots, and the fever was responding to Tylenol & Advil, so he did not go to the Doc.

But I guess the infection went rampid overnight.

On a side note: When I took my 7 y/o in for the same symptoms I cought shit from the triage nurse. I had explained that my daughter woke me up at 5am with severe SOB speaking in 4word sentences, but I was able to relieve it with her ventolin inhaler (which she has not needed in 2 years). The RN did not really care saying I better be ready to wait a long time to see a doc if she just "has the flu".

Long story short. She was swabbed, diagnosed, and is on Tamiflu.

I can't wait to see that RN again so I can advise her to be carefull when shoo-ing patients out of the ER since my daughters uncle just died of the same illness she has!

I know the RN's are overworked right now..... but this is all being taken too lightly IMHO.

I wish there were words that could explain your lose or lesson your grief, but there is not. In this time of grief I wish you serenity and peace in its proper time.

My sincere condolences Mobey. My only hope is that, as you have alluded, we can learn from this case. Stay safe out there everyone. This isn't your average bug.

Ed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.