Calgary EMS HIRING FREEZE?

JungleJudy

Ok Ok ... do I have to do a little Dinozzo head slapping here .... I have absolutely no issues either sex and Siff if you think for a mini second nor you Hells Bells !

Urban vs Rural is no difference than: Women are from Venus and Men are from Mars.

What you BOTH seam to forget that a very experienced Paraidiot in the Rural/ Remote can be a good resource, it just too bad the Government(s) can nott get a grip on that "concept"

cheers

Ok Ok ... do I have to do a little Dinozzo head slapping here .... I have absolutely no issues either sex and Siff if you think for a mini second nor you Hells Bells !

Urban vs Rural is no difference than: Women are from Venus and Men are from Mars.

What you BOTH seam to forget that a very experienced Paraidiot in the Rural/ Remote can be a good resource, it just too bad the Government(s) can nott get a grip on that "concept"

cheers

Thanks for assuming I forgot something there squint. I wouldn't have imagined in my wildest dreams an experienced emt OR paramedic would be of value anywhere ... :iiam:

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add a little bit to this discussion (should be change the name of this topic?) There is no way a brand new EMT should be thrown to emerg calls regardless of where they work (hopefully the senior partner has been there longer than a month)Nor do I believe they should work in a place where black and white TV is the shiz nit. The balance out of a rural service with a small hospital may just be perfect. Transport times range from 2 minutes to 45-1hr, good transfers into a major care center (you learn alot just by opening that big brown envelope and reading) As an EMT I probably would never have dealt with some of the head trauma's I have without ALS, or DKA's and so on. It is also good for the new EMT to learn that sometimes a Paramedic (in school you are kinda taught to worship the ACP) needs OUR backup, yes its usually for a lift or a third hand but it also helps with the whole TRUST issue I have seen mentioned here

Now yes I was excited, I got 6 emerg calls my last tour and I realize that a city service will do 6 calls a day. But its nice to get your BLS treatment dusted off and used as much as possible whether or not its in a city, a town or a hamlet

There is no way a brand new EMT should be thrown to emerg calls regardless of where they work (hopefully the senior partner has been there longer than a month)

Why shouldn't an EMT just jump in? They're going to have to run a call at one point or another. What if the senior partner on car is only an EMR, and only senior because they've been at the service for 10 years? What if their patient needs something like D50 and the EMR is obviously not qualified to start the IV or give the drug?

The balance out of a rural service with a small hospital may just be perfect. Transport times range from 2 minutes to 45-1hr, good transfers into a major care center (you learn alot just by opening that big brown envelope and reading)

Sure, it gives excellent opportunity to build on history taking.

As an EMT I probably would never have dealt with some of the head trauma's I have without ALS, or DKA's and so on.

Not sure what you mean here. Are you saying that you would never negate to call for ALS backup? Or are you saying that you wouldn't have gotten the chance to play at all if ALS was there?

It is also good for the new EMT to learn that sometimes a Paramedic (in school you are kinda taught to worship the ACP) needs OUR backup, yes its usually for a lift or a third hand but it also helps with the whole TRUST issue I have seen mentioned here

Paramedics save lives, EMT's save paramedics and so on ... If an EMT is just around to lift things, then either they're a real doorknob or their medic is a tool and wants to do everything themselves because they like being in control of everything. And what do you mean by "it helps with the whole trust issue"? What helps with it, the EMT being an ass-kisser? No. A good EMT should know their scope and be prepared to use it when appropriate, whether that means with an EMR, or with a medic who needs to do their thing and needs BLS interventions prior. If an EMT with a medic partner is not prepared to start a line or perhaps stick an OPA into a code's mouth and bag while their partner sets up to tube, that doesn't help anyone now does it?

But its nice to get your BLS treatment dusted off and used as much as possible whether or not its in a city, a town or a hamlet

If you don't use it, you lose it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.