Calgary EMS HIRING FREEZE?

JungleJudy

Just because one is a paramedic, doesn't mean one isn't a cocky jackass who wouldn't crap the bed on a call :closed:

Too damn right :fish:

So back to the actual thread - anyone heard of any jobs going in the Calgary area for EMT/EMT-P? :wave:

Well at least I learned a new abbreviation :devilish:

Thinking of putting my own spin on it .... S squared D squared I dunno :blush:

cheers

there is also SSSD - same s**t same day for those really good days :dribble:

Maybe it is just me expecting too much from my partner and maybe it is a good reason to have two paramedics on each truck???

Maybe you haven't heard, the trend is to go one Paramedic, and one EMT (Cow Town) or maybe 2 EMTs per gut wagon and a PRU chase car ... in the rural areas with AHS takeover its very possible to have one Paramedic Grad and an EMR (the regs have changed) so just where did I put that snow shovel again to check the length of the grass ?

In industry anywhere from a real Ambulance Paramedic and EMT, to an EMR in an MTC and anyone that can drive, typically the driver has more adrenalin going than the patient, well to a point then the rocking back and forth and losing the back end on ice roads in a camper 3/4 ton that is illegal to transport granny on holidays on a highway, topped off then the prevalent "patch" mentality JUST GET BUDDY TO TOWN ... scary.

sorry off topic

<end minor rant>

Maybe you haven't heard, the trend is to go one Paramedic, and one EMT (Cow Town) or maybe 2 EMTs per gut wagon and a PRU chase car ... in the rural areas with AHS takeover its very possible to have one Paramedic Grad and an EMR (the regs have changed) so just where did I put that snow shovel again to check the length of the grass ?

In industry anywhere from a real Ambulance Paramedic and EMT, to an EMR in an MTC and anyone that can drive, typically the driver has more adrenalin going than the patient, well to a point then the rocking back and forth and losing the back end on ice roads in a camper 3/4 ton that is illegal to transport granny on holidays on a highway, topped off then the prevalent "patch" mentality JUST GET BUDDY TO TOWN ... scary.

sorry off topic

<end minor rant>

Haha perhaps we should start a new topic about it? :jump:

• 4 weeks later...

I happen to work in Calgary at the moment, as far as hiring goes, I have no idea what is going on with recruiting, but they just released a new batch onto the streets. So I imagine there will be another posting fairly soon.

Hrm... Ive heard the idea that the rural area is the best training ground for new EMTs many times before. I'm not sure that I believe it. A green EMT is a green EMT, no matter where he starts. Calgary seems to be chronicly understaffed, and many brand new EMTs are hired here right off their practicums. Some do well, and learn fast, others don't.

A previous poster said that an EMT learns to communicate better in the rural setting. Would you care to explain the reasoning behind that? Please don't tell me its because they get to spend hours on transfers chatting up old ladies. I think the multiple patient interactions, frequent reports to nurses, increased exposure to doctors that occurs in an urban setting is a great way to improve communication skills.

I'm not attempted to bash rural services here. I started out in one, and have very fond memories of my time there. However, I think that Mobey brings up a very good point when he mentions the low call volume in certain areas. How is it an advantage to a new practitioner when they do maybe 4 calls per tour? I will admit that there are certain skills to be learned when tranports are longer and back-up is limited, but that has to be weighed the actual number of calls as well.

As for this idea that an urban EMT simply rests on his laurels, letting the Paramedic take the weight of the calls? I can assure you that is not the case, at least in the service I work for. All new employees of the city are expected to learn to SOP and protocols for the city, including the medications, and ALS procedures. So, I think it safe to say there are a different subset of skills one can learn in urban vs rural setting, one can learn what they need to learn in either setting. But to say an EMT learns to communicate better in a rural setting? That is utter nonsense.

• Like 1

I know very little about the Canadian system, but I will say this for rural service work - it's a whole 'nother ballgame. You will learn how to do patient care as frequently there isn't the resources and comfort level there is in the city. Also, I imagine you work even harder in Canada than rural services in the US (and some of us work pretty hard !) because if all else fails and you are in way over your head the US resorts to calling helicopters. With the limited helo resources up there, they are utilized much more efficiently. I'd definitely suggest giving rural a try and learning. You will be a much better provider for it, and if/when you move to the urban setting it will seem like a piece of cake (though each present their own unique challenges). Good luck in whatever you decide to do !

• Like 2

Hrm... Ive heard the idea that the rural area is the best training ground for new EMTs many times before. I'm not sure that I believe it. A green EMT is a green EMT, no matter where he starts.

There is more of an opportunity I think to learn on one's own feet instead of having a paramedic to fall back on.

Calgary seems to be chronicly understaffed, and many brand new EMTs are hired here right off their practicums. Some do well, and learn fast, others don't.

Same in Edmonton ...

A previous poster said that an EMT learns to communicate better in the rural setting. Would you care to explain the reasoning behind that?

I'm curious too ...

I'm not attempted to bash rural services here. I started out in one, and have very fond memories of my time there. However, I think that Mobey brings up a very good point when he mentions the low call volume in certain areas. How is it an advantage to a new practitioner when they do maybe 4 calls per tour? I will admit that there are certain skills to be learned when tranports are longer and back-up is limited, but that has to be weighed the actual number of calls as well.

I think that in a rural setting, an EMT has more of a chance to learn on their OWN feet instead of always having a paramedic to fall back on. Remember running codes or treating anaphylaxis with a brand new EMR as your partner?

As for this idea that an urban EMT simply rests on his laurels, letting the Paramedic take the weight of the calls? I can assure you that is not the case, at least in the service I work for. All new employees of the city are expected to learn to SOP and protocols for the city, including the medications, and ALS procedures. So, I think it safe to say there are a different subset of skills one can learn in urban vs rural setting, one can learn what they need to learn in either setting.

There is a different subset of skills for sure, there are pros and cons for each. I like working in my city, but would also not trade my rural time for anything. It's a lot to take in, starting in a big city and it can be daunting for any EMT, especially someone brand new. The ones who seem to get along the best are the ones that don't come in all cocky just because someone gave them a 40#. Respect is earned, not expected and experience is gained.

But to say an EMT learns to communicate better in a rural setting? That is utter nonsense.

I totally agree. Usually lots of time to take histories, but communicating better because of rural? How?

Edited by Siffaliss

Well Sifaliss, I do agree that a rural BLS service gives more of a leadership role to the new EMT, obviously there are certain limitations, as I've mentioned above. I don't know that one system as particularly superior to another, as all we have to go on are personal opinions.

However, it would be interesting to do a scientific study on practitioners in the rural vs urban setting. Criteria could follow green EMTs at certain times into their career, i.e. 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years etc. We could gauge their ability to run a call, perform certain procedures, such as IV skills, BVM ability, medical knowledge, communication, and so forth. Of course there would have to be some strict control procedures to follow, but it might help to move the discussion further then individual exeriences and opinion.

Sounds interesting, good luck on organizing that study :thumbsup:

Until then I'll continue to listen to the opinions of hundreds with years of experience between then. Considering that (and my own views), that's scientific enough for me.

On another note, would you find it interesting to know what the original poster of this topic thought? Why bother asking a question if you're not going to follow up? Yeesh ...

Edited by Siffaliss

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.