BC Paramedics Legislated Into Contract Extension

rock_shoes

I must admit, I'm disappointed.

I was accepted as a medical volunteer at the 2010 Olympics. My post is located at the Whistler Sliding Centre. I was quite excited to be a part of the Olympic experience because I will likely never have the opportunity to take part in it again. At the moment, I am drafting my letter to VANOC to withdraw my status as an Olympic volunteer. I doubt that one volunteer from one venue will be all that significant, but I will pass my resignation on to my counterparts and perhaps something will get started.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Vanoc+medical+volunteers+events+threatened+paramedics+dispute/2237886/story.html

Vanoc to use medical volunteers if events threatened by paramedics' dispute

VANCOUVER -- The Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Games will tap into a large number of medical volunteers if the simmering dispute between the B.C. Ambulance Service and its unionized paramedics threatens events, Vanoc's medical services director said Wednesday. Dr. Mike Wilkinson said the BCAS has given Vanoc assurances that it can provide the trained paramedics required for the Olympics. But if paramedics book off sick in large numbers, as they did recently in a form of protest for being legislated back to work, Vanoc will use its own medical volunteers to provide emergency services to athletes, spectators and others, he said."The contingency plans at this stage given our level of confidence in the B.C. Ambulance Service revolves around our volunteers," Wilkinson said. "(Vanoc's) medical services has an extremely high number of very well-qualified professionals that would be able to provide those services if it came down to that." Wilkinson said Vanoc has enough medical equipment at every venue but will discuss with the BCAS how to get access to ambulances should they need them. Vanoc would prefer to have the unionized paramedics delivering the service since they're the experts, Wilkinson said.

The paramedics' union has alleged that the provincial government imposed a wage settlement on them last month at the urging of Vanoc. Wilkinson had written a letter to the BCAS and the province in the fall raising the concern events could not be held without adequate coverage of paramedics.The trouble over emergency medical services is only one of several rough spots facing Vanoc as it heads into the last three months of preparation. In a press conference after Wednesday's board meeting newly-appointed Vanoc chairman Rusty Goepel said the organization still needs to find more than 750 volunteers who live in the Sea-to-Sky corridor. <edit good luck with that!> It also hasn't been able to sell out over half of its nightly Victory Ceremony tickets, but believes all will be snapped up once the lineup of entertainers and bands is published within a month. Goepel, a long-time board member, was appointed chairman to replace the late Jack Poole, who died Oct. 23 from pancreatic cancer. At that same meeting board members were told recent tickets sales remain strong but that there are still 40,000 unsold, including 12,000 hockey and 10,000 curling preliminary games. Dave Cobb, Vanoc's executive vice-president of finance, said he expects all tickets will be sold out shortly. Plans for a resale website where ticket-holders can resell unwanted tickets will be launched within weeks.

He said the United States Olympic Committee was allocated 90,000 tickets, which were also sold through Jet Set Sports. By comparison, Canadians were only allocated 18,000 tickets during the 2002 Salt Lake Winter Games. He said Vanoc won't provide any more tickets to the U.S. market. The issue of volunteers in the Whistler area continues to pose a thorny problem for Vanoc. While it has enough volunteers overall and can bus many of them in daily into the Sea-to-Sky corridor, it would rather find people living between Squamish and Whistler, said Cathy Priestner, the executive vice-president of sport.

Comments on the article:

So let me see if this is correct. The Olympics tell the government to legislate paramedics back-to-work so that paramedics will provide all the coverage that VANOC requires for the Olympics. The government quickly obeys its masters and legislates the same contract on paramedics that just expired. The terms of the contract says that part-timers are to put in availability for 8 shifts per month. Anything above that is voluntary. Full-timers only need to work their established 4 shift blocks. Did they truly think paramedics would enthusiastically leap and do anything the employer asks - beyond their contractual requirements?

What more can be said? Vanoc stuck its nose in where it did not belong and the Provincial Government took the bait and now all is supposed to be roses between all parties involved. For whatever reason Mr Scampbell and his party chose to take on a section of health care whose budget reflects 1% of the health budget here in B.C. by legislating them back to work. Even more so the Government has chose to ignore the paramedics call for review and change to improve the service for all British Columbians. And Mr Falcon sits in debate with ear plugs in while other liberals fumble with there Blackberrys no doubt playing bejewelled while the fate of the BC Ambulance Service was being discussed. Truly a sad day in B.C politics and a sadder day for BC Liberals.

Vanoc forces the government to legislate the paramedics back to work and then expects the paramedic to help them out. What a bunch of idiots!

As a paramedic in Vancouver, I can honestly say that after VANOC used it's influence to help impose a legislated contract rather than to assist in a peaceful resolution to our labor dispute, I for one will not be doing anything more than the absolute minimum required by the contract that was shoved down my throat. Although I will add that I was never opposed to the Olympics, after having my democratic rights stripped away, nothing would make me happier than to see a complete and humiliating failure to the medical contribution BC ambulance service is held responsible for.

We have mountains of dough for Greedo's buddies to splash around in, but no dough for kids, school, and, oh yeah, OUR PARAMEDICS !!!!!

It is just amazing how these executives manage to function in their daily lives. Vanoc is short by some 750 volunteers for the section of highway between Squamish and Whistler. I doubt that there are that many families that live in that area of the highway - not a highly populated area by any means.

Great comment from someone who lives in the area so this highway is notorious for big wrecks (MCI) one bus goes off the road and call the volleys .. so VANOC is going to find 750 lifeguard's, part time Ski Patrollers and OfA level 3 Band aids to provide Medical Services in a couple of months ... Ok why am I laughing ?

Just imagine that a Government could be ousted from power by mere Emergency Paramedics standing up for their rights in a democracy ... this just keeps getting better by the minute. VANOC EPIC FAIL a most excellent example the tail wagging the dog, just too bad they are dealing with a pit bull with a cropped tail, VANOC and Comrade Campbell even have trouble doing basic Math:

BC Ambulance seems to have a difficult time staffing the ambulances for regular day to day operations. Look at security for the games, upwards of 17, 000 security personnel yet BC Ambulance in planning to cover all Oympic venues with just over 100 paramedics?

Are the security Volunteer's too?

Great comment from someone who lives in the area so this highway is notorious for big wrecks (MCI) one bus goes off the road and call the volleys .. so VANOC is going to find 750 lifeguard's, part time Ski Patrollers and OfA level 3 Band aids to provide Medical Services in a couple of months ... Ok why am I laughing ?

I've received my schedule for the Sliding Centre, there are 8 docs, 5 nurses, 2 Athletic Therapists, and 23 EMRs, the majority of which are medics from outside the BC area.

If I recall correctly, Whistler is serviced by two ambulances. When I was there last February for the Bobsleigh events they had to send one out from Vancouver to stay at the track while the Whistler ambulances continued with the regular task. When we had an injury requiring transport the Whistler unit would come and intercept the Vancouver unit so it could stay on station. I'm not sure though if they will do the same when they have three ambulances there from Vancouver though.

That's just the sliding centre though, there are also the other venues with medical staff. The replacements VANOC is talking about are the ambulances that will be posted at each venue for spectator and athlete transport. My understanding is that the Sliding Centre is supposed to have three on station, but if members start calling in sick there will be no one to staff them.

Edited by Arctickat

Thanks Artickat:

So VANOC pressured the Comrade Campbell government to:

1- Legislate BC Emergency Paramedics back to work (even though this was not an active strike)

2- Using the H1N1 pandemic as leverage and not providing priority vaccine to First Responders.

3- Now VANOC did the math to find out they may need more assistance, maybe STARS will come to the rescue.

Sure would be a complication if a member of BCAS was legitimately ill.

On to EMR in BC are they not part of the CUPE ?

So if they are registered out of the province do the EMR have direct reciprocity (otherwise unregistered with BCAS are the legally covered under a blanket malpractice insurance)

Will they be receiving the $2.00 per hour standby fee or are they just volunteers, do they receive a wage (as per contract) if they are pressed into staff a unit ?

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/ema/

http://www.bcas.ca/assets/Careers/PDFs/May%2022_EMR%20FAQ.pdf

http://www.bcas.ca/EN/main/careers/898/qualifications.html

Any one can take the EMR course and be Licensed without working for BCAS. They are being solicited by VANOC (I think I was not solicited as Im a PCP). From what I understand they are being offered 2500 per month w/o travel or accomidations being provided (what a deal) The other thing I dont know is if you apply for the Olympics are you automatically working for the paralympics.

Any one can take the EMR course and be Licensed without working for BCAS. They are being solicited by VANOC (I think I was not solicited as Im a PCP). From what I understand they are being offered 2500 per month w/o travel or accomidations being provided (what a deal) The other thing I dont know is if you apply for the Olympics are you automatically working for the paralympics.

How can one be licensed as BCAS is the "catch all" licencing, regulatory body, tied to education and employer ?

Heck as an ACP I can not work in Industry until I have challenged the OFA level 3 from WCB ? :wtf2:

So @ 2500 a month (625 a week) then based on a 5 day work week that amounts to $125 CND a day thats about $10.40 bucks and hour but far better than $2.00 bucks an hour pager (before taxes) or is this an honorarium like tax free ? :thumbsup:

Heck EI pays $400.00 a week and stay at home and watch the Olympics on TV, sure hope the EMRs take basic math in their program.

I know Whistler, heck you can't get a beer and a pizza for less than $50.00 and accommodation ? Well unless you have a friend living there with a spare piece of rug so good luck with that too. Then add travel (the rent in Vancouver during this event)is beyond Gorging ....

WOW thats a great deal where do I sign up ? :devilish:

Oh and still waiting for a response from MP Stockwell Day and that letter had a different "tenor" in presentation than the response I received from MP Bob Rae (NDP) concerning pandemic preparedness.

http://www.emtcity.com/index.php/topic/16779-are-you-assisting-in-innoculations/page__st__50

Edited by tniuqs

I must admit, I'm disappointed.

I was accepted as a medical volunteer at the 2010 Olympics. My post is located at the Whistler Sliding Centre. I was quite excited to be a part of the Olympic experience because I will likely never have the opportunity to take part in it again. At the moment, I am drafting my letter to VANOC to withdraw my status as an Olympic volunteer. I doubt that one volunteer from one venue will be all that significant, but I will pass my resignation on to my counterparts and perhaps something will get started.

Thank you for this excellent show of solidarity. I was actually looking forward to working Olympic shifts myself prior to this whole thing. Now, given the blatant disrespect from VANOC and the BC Liberals, I have zero desire to work any such shifts. Frankly, they can get bent.

How can one be licensed as BCAS is the "catch all" licencing, regulatory body, tied to education and employer ?

Heck as an ACP I can not work in Industry until I have challenged the OFA level 3 from WCB ? :wtf2:

EMA licensing and BCAS are technically separate entities. You can be licensed without being employed by BCAS however it’s nearly impossible to maintain a license without being employed by BCAS. The whole OFA level 3 thing is the WCB’s fault. It’s garbage that continues because one government body has little to no influence over another.

So @ 2500 a month (625 a week) then based on a 5 day work week that amounts to $125 CND a day thats about $10.40 bucks and hour but far better than $2.00 bucks an hour pager (before taxes) or is this an honorarium like tax free ? :thumbsup:

Heck EI pays $400.00 a week and stay at home and watch the Olympics on TV, sure hope the EMRs take basic math in their program.

I know Whistler, heck you can't get a beer and a pizza for less than $50.00 and accommodation ? Well unless you have a friend living there with a spare piece of rug so good luck with that too. Then add travel (the rent in Vancouver during this event)is beyond Gorging ....

WOW thats a great deal where do I sign up ? :devilish:

Shhh. You might hurt VANOC’s volunteer pool saying things like that. Professionals work for free you know. At least in VANOC’s world anyway. I wonder when they are going to join the rest of us in reality. I can’t speak for everyone but I intend to be out skiing and ice-climbing for the duration of the Olympics. Probably in the Rockies hundreds of kilometres away.

Oh and still waiting for a response from MP Stockwell Day and that letter had a different "tenor" in presentation than the response I received from MP Bob Rae (NDP) concerning pandemic preparedness.

Don’t expect anything too poignant. I’m sure it will be firmly planted along the party lines with little to no deviation.

Ed

Don’t expect anything too poignant. I’m sure it will be firmly planted along the party lines with little to no deviation.

Ed

Ever Hear of the old story of the Lion with a thorn in his paw ... ? If you can't walk you can't RUN !

Eventually the voters will see that Jello is impossible to staple to a wall, if it continues to stick it is called MUCUS.

Comrade Campbell and his forestry cronies did such a fine job when BC was on fire this summer ... good grief what makes the voters so blind in BC ?

ps The Winter Olympics remains the playgrounds of the Wealthy funded by taxpayers moneys (of this I do know as at one time I was potentially a member of the Crazy Cancks but my folks could not afford the training in Europe) you think I will purchase anything with the Olympic rings on NOT ... I will not be even watching it on TV I would rather watch reruns of Trauma :devilish:

cheers

http://www.chtv.com/ch/cheknews/story.html?id=2245264

Ambulance union to boycott inquiry

Sandra McCulloch, Times Colonist

Published: Friday, November 20, 2009

The province has appointed a former deputy minister of finance to look into the B.C. Ambulance Service's ongoing labour problems. But the union rejected the choice of Chris Trumpy as industrial inquiry commissioner, and says it won't co-operate with the process. The union had called for the inquiry to be headed by an independent commissioner. The appointment of Trumpy, who retired from the public service earlier this year after a 30-year career that included stints as deputy minister of finance and secretary to the treasury board, "is nothing short of a complete sham," said B.J. Chute, spokesman for CUPE 873, Ambulance Paramedics of B.C., following the announcement yesterday.

"This is going to do nothing to fix what's wrong with the ambulance service."

Paramedics went on strike April 1 but were forced to continue to work under an essential services order. The province ended the strike earlier this month, handing the paramedics a three per cent wage increase. But discontent continues and a large number of Lower Mainland paramedics booked off sick at short notice last weekend, prompting the B.C. Ambulance Service to transfer staff in from other areas, including Vancouver Island. Most paramedics in B.C. work part-time, since it can take years to get a full-time job. Overtime is another source of friction.The inquiry will look at the collective-bargaining structure of the ambulance service, staff recruitment, training and retention, staff workload and occupational health and safety issues.

The commission will also compare paramedic compensation with other jurisdictions in Canada.

"It's a broad commission," said Labour Minister Murray Coell. "There's a lot of issues that [the union] had put forward in the terms of reference. I'm hoping that they will come back on-side and participate."

Trumpy is to report back by Jan. 15.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20091123/bc_paramedic_protest_091123/20091123/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

You just have to read the Rhetoric and Circle Talking now ... the Post provided by Happiness PROVES beyond shadow of doubt that Comrade Cambell is full of _____ and now in back door mode, look to the link and the fans comments a very interesting read ... from absolutely stupid to just the facts .

Paramedics plan rowdy reception for minister

Updated: Mon Nov. 23 2009 12:13:30

Darcy Wintonyk, ctvbc.ca

A group of angry paramedics planned a rowdy reception for B.C. Health Minister Kevin Falcon before a speaking engagement early Monday morning -- but they didn't get the opportunity they were looking for. About 200 paramedics, CUPE members and B.C. Federation of Labour delegates attending a policy convention rallied outside of the Terminal City Club in downtown Vancouver before sunrise. The group intended to confront Falcon as he entered the building for a breakfast speech but was denied the chance when the minister entered the building through an alternate door. They are angry about Falcon's part in Bill 21 -- a back-to-work order issued early November that imposed a contract on 3,500 ambulance workers and legislated an end to the paramedics' seven-month strike. The bill includes a three per cent pay increase -- far less than the union was bargaining for. Addressing fellow workers as sisters and brothers, CUPE vice president Paul Farrow said Falcon was being unreasonable by refusing to meet. "It's shameful we have to be standing out here fighting for democratic rights in British Columbia," he said to the cheering group. "This is a start of a movement across the province to repeal this legislation that has been rammed through with no discussion in our legislature."

Pandemic or 2010?

CUPE 873 president John Strohmeier said his members don't believe Falcon introduced Bill 21 because of the H1N1 pandemic. "The whole province knows he did it because the Olympics are coming," he said. Kevin Falcon said Monday the Vancouver Olympic Organizing Committee has a contingency plan to staff all Olympic events without B.C. paramedics, but taking part would be a "great opportunity" for ambulance workers.

"Who gets the opportunity a chance to put on their resume the fact that they staffed one of the most important events that takes place in the world?" Strohmeier said the provincial government has left workers no choice but to speak out. "Ambulance paramedics in B.C. did not choose a path of confrontation with the government. All we want is a fair process and to vote on a collective agreement." Kevin Falcon said Monday he understood ambulance workers aren't happy, but he didn't feel union heads have been providing the best possible leadership for members. "They decided to be the only union out of 300,000 public servants that is having a fight with the government and demand an increase that is not justifiable," he told CTV News.

Independent review?

Spokesperson BJ Chute says the person hired to conduct an independent third-party review of the bill has personal and professional ties to the provincial government and is incapable of doing an impartial job. "This amounts to little more than a sham," he said. Falcon disagrees."He's probably one of the most highly regarded and respected individuals that has ever served in the public service in British Columbia."

The minister says the third-party investigation is an opportunity to "fix a broken paramedic system." ""The leadership needs to put down their tools, stop the constant fighting. I get that they don't like being legislated back to work but let's try to work on a solution that works for the members."

BJ Chute said paramedics work 12 hour days up to six days a week -- and there are roughly 100 vacant positions in the Lower Mainland alone.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.