BC Paramedics Legislated Into Contract Extension

rock_shoes

As some of you may already be aware, BC Ambulance Service paramedics have just had a contract rammed down our throats via provincial government legislation. This legislation extends the current agreement, and all addendums made to it, until the end of March 2010. Included in the legislation is a 3% wage increase payable only on "working" hours retroactive to April 1, 2009.

This is an unprecedented move on the BC government's part as CUPE 873 was in the process of voting on BCAS' "final offer". This legislation is a clear attack on the paramedic profession and in direct violation of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It does not have a hope in hell of standing up in court which unfortunately is a moot point as the Olympic Games will be over before a court challenge can be mounted.

BC paramedics repeated requests for the appointment of an independent arbitrator to settle the dispute have fallen on deaf ears. Having volunteered to submit to binding arbitration, the BC paramedics have completely run out of bargaining room. For the interim decals will stay on the ambulances and regular uniform will stay in the closet (with the exception of Remembrance day when everyone will be in full uniform out of respect for veterans and their families). The BC Federation of Labour conference will be held later this month (November 2009) where CUPE 873 paramedics are sure to be the hot topic of the year. I expect to see further action as a result of said legislation following the BCFED convention. What form it will take I don't know and will not speculate at this time.

Ed

B.C.'s striking paramedics ordered back to work

Paramedics blame VANOC for strike bill

B.C. paramedics legislated back to work after all-night session

As some of you may already be aware, BC Ambulance Service paramedics have just had a contract rammed down our throats via provincial government legislation. This legislation extends the current agreement, and all addendums made to it, until the end of March 2010. Included in the legislation is a 3% wage increase payable only on "working" hours retroactive to April 1, 2009.

This is an unprecedented move on the BC government's part as CUPE 873 was in the process of voting on BCAS' "final offer". This legislation is a clear attack on the paramedic profession and in direct violation of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It does not have a hope in hell of standing up in court which unfortunately is a moot point as the Olympic Games will be over before a court challenge can be mounted.

BC paramedics repeated requests for the appointment of an independent arbitrator to settle the dispute have fallen on deaf ears. Having volunteered to submit to binding arbitration, the BC paramedics have completely run out of bargaining room. For the interim decals will stay on the ambulances and regular uniform will stay in the closet (with the exception of Remembrance day when everyone will be in full uniform out of respect for veterans and their families). The BC Federation of Labour conference will be held later this month (November 2009) where CUPE 873 paramedics are sure to be the hot topic of the year. I expect to see further action as a result of said legislation following the BCFED convention. What form it will take I don't know and will not speculate at this time.

Ed

B.C.'s striking paramedics ordered back to work

Paramedics blame VANOC for strike bill

B.C. paramedics legislated back to work after all-night session

Okay, so striking isn't an option. Have you tried a slowdown? You know, take an hour and a half to write your report at the ER each and every time? Decon your unit for an hour after each and every call. You're technically not striking, but you'll cripple the system nonetheless. Of course, if something seriou(which is maybe 10% of calls in reality) comes across, go available to run the call. If you do IFT, take in excess of an hour on the floor and do the same at every drop off, assuming it's a routine transfer. Since you're frequently held over, make it standard practice throughout the service to bang in sick the next shift after each mandated holdover, each and every time, to cost them in OT what they ought to be spending in higher salaries and hiring.

Does your union have no political connections? My union uses Firepac $$'s, which is only 5 bucks out of each check (voluntary) to assist with lobbying, campaign contributions for politicians that are sympathetic to our needs, PSA's and such. We also participate in numerous charities, both because we generally want to, as well as the great PR that we receive. It works exceddingly well here.

Ah Comrade Campbell ... making friends everywhere ... just wait till the final tab of the Olympics comes in, funny, did we not have one of those in Calgary a couple of years ago.

No have to build all the venues x 2 when one can fly in a hour or drive in 12 ... just ask the VANOC what it cost to send a candle 5500 kms ?

Heres a question did all of BCAS get innoculated (priority HCW and frontline) cough, cough I think I am feeling sick, with no IFS reported, nor swabs nor tracking being done ... just saying look at Calgary FF Police and EMS sick time my bet is its hitting the government in the pocket book. :devilish:

cheers :innocent:

Quick Everyone To Your MP Before Your Next!

Why bother with negotiation and mediation when instead you can force legislation instead!

With no actual danger to the public, how are they justifying this act? By the Energy minister going "everyone gave it a good try"? Police and Fire get binding arbitration and EMS gets law makers forcing a new contract, at least until after the games.

This is ridiculous, for once the feds should step in and slap some sense into BC

Well if BCAS does not win the appeal then just where did I sign on the dotted line my Canadian Rights and Freedoms away when I put on a Hi Vis Jacket ? Its politics plain and simple the games not over till all the VOTES are counted.

If one looks to the strong UNIONs in BC I believe Campbell is asking for a general strike, he sent the message to FF and RNs with this.

cheers

Quick Everyone To Your MP Before Your Next!

Why bother with negotiation and mediation when instead you can force legislation instead!

Yeah Know thats an DAMN GOOD IDEA !

rock_shoes you provide us the MP and I will compose a letter and get a list of my AB fiends to sign.

Hey stubble jumper ... you in ?

cheers

The problem with writing his MP is that your votes dont count to him so he wont care. If you write your MP you can express your concern as an EMS provider that BC is setting a dangerous precedent for ambulance services everywhere. Just a thought, other wise i'll sign that letter (as a former Albertan)

The problem with writing his MP is that your votes don't count to him so he wont care. If you write your MP you can express your concern as an EMS provider that BC is setting a dangerous precedent for ambulance services everywhere. Just a thought, other wise i'll sign that letter (as a former Albertan)

Good point not BCAS... will not matter to him/her ? read on so you get a thousand letters on your desk and see just what happens do you know how amnesty international affects change the tie up an entire countries postal services and bombard them with letters ...dont think that makes a point. I lost my Mother a year and a half ago at 84 she wrote a letter a week SHE was a Korean Veteran an RN she never stopped fighting for her cause, used a few stamps.

Dear Sirs/Madams:

As a former proud EMS Professional I am debating leaving this Country as I used to be Proud to Call MY Canada WTF ?.... la la la ... tantamount to slavery .... la la la ... recipe for general strike .... la la la ... set a precedent of ... awaiting your reply.

www.saveourparamedics.com

First OFF:

I am concerned to protect my anonymity ... NOT thats an immediate FAIL!I am on so many "watch lists" with my already voiced opinions to my MP alone and MLA and Leaders and members of the opposition so please read on ... do you think for one milisecond any letters I write to any government have just one CC ? Thats a waste of a pefectly good letter :clown: caution never threaten or the RCMP will be doing a drive by.

You have NO Idea ROFLMFA, Quakefire this is the internet its THE BIGGEST LOUDSPEAKER IN THE WORLD and don't ask your or any MP DEMAND a REPLY or you will go to the media, try it, use a stamp too it does work, then a follow up email.

Lets see topics just my topics:

Stupid Long Gun waste of money pit, Fairness in Divorce Laws for Fathers, Pension reform to change laws changed from 10 to 3 years for immigrants MEH) Immigration Regulations (so lets let the Tamil Tigers in now ?) Poor Pensions Housing for Ex Military, ever here of HERT ? well for 6 years do you even know what that is ?

The list is long, EMS is only one.

4 letters regarding H1N1 National alone, the draught to Stelmach in Health response H1NI still "under development" and scathing!

Do you know why Stelmach is the Premier in AB (well its because he is the lesser of 3 weevils) 10 bucks gets you into any leadership convention, you can bet I am a card carrying AB Conservative just happened to be in Dead Rear yesterday, great snacks. LMAO again and that wasn't my idea btw, I wish that I could claim that strategy, junk mail gets filed and wastes their cash. So why not purchase a party membership for every party too, the thing that is destroying this country is apathy well not this Scot ... MANU FORTI !

For motivation perhaps you should down load the music from ABBA and listen to the tune:

Whats the Name of the Game"

Well it called:

LOBBY

It appears Job action is becoming Pandemic in Kanukistan, from sea to shining sea ..

** Private ambulance operators in Newfoundland walked off the job at 4 p.m. Friday to protest their unsettled contract with the province. That is the word from VOCM (November 6) which quoted operators spokesman Bob Patten as saying the province has refused to negotiate matters. As part of the stand down from duties, medics are being told to deliver patients to hospitals, but not remain with them until an ER hand-off. In addition, transfers, out of area transports and routine calls are not being handled. Though a tentative deal appeared to be near complete on October 20, the deal fell through after the government rejected several of the terms.

West Coast (tree huggers rights stomped on) now on the East Coast, (Lord Thundering the Neufies were born to be street fighters)

Looks we need to throw them a life line or perhaps a bottle of screech in the mix and it will become this a back room brawl.

cheers

Sorry Tniuqs after living in Rob Anders riding most of my life I refuse to give the conservative party any of my money at any level (even 10 bucks) I keep my money with the greens because they have yet to screw me over (they will eventually, its politics) and the fact that I like to breath, might be alot of COPD coming down the line for us, but thats another topic

I do have a question though, and this would go to any of the people here, would you sign a letter stating your support for the staff of BCAS, or keep your name anonymous for fear of reprocussions? I have heard talk around here of "conduct unbecomming....'

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.