Promoting this site

brentoli

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pass this website on to your co-workers if given tools to do so?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm ashamed to be associated with you guys!

Sorry Admin, I don't know if or where I should post this at. Can we get more tools to work with to promote the website to our friends and co-workers? Maybe a Facebook Fan Page, some PDF flyers we can print and put on bulletin boards.... an option to E-Mail links to friends? It seems like things have slowed down a little bit, maybe we could all help to drive some new blood and thoughts/ideas/education in here?

I think the site has definetly gotten better once the admins created the pay area. I am a long time member here and got frustrated a few years ago with all the crappy posts and childish antics that were going on.

The site has definetly become more professional...LOOKS 100% better and hope this site really takes off but I think having facebook / myspace etc...links is not the correct direction for this site.

We all know how easy it is to access the web via cell phones and PDA phones and what do most of us EMS'ers do during down time....go on the web. But boredom from the front seat of an ambulance can also cause problems with a mobile version such as facebook. It would be very easy to post pictures that we all know should not be posted and atleast if you have to wait to get to a regular computer you can think about the consequences of that picture post.

I don't think a facebook link is a good idea to promote the site...I think the best promotion is word of mouth and as you stated passing emails to friends. As money rolls in from the pay chat area and maybe some site sponsorship more advertising may be something to think about in the future.

The other factor you really need to think about is who is running the site, server space and speed. A sudden spike in membership could also slow and/or crash servers due to high traffic. EMTCity started out as a small hobby for someone and has really grown over the years...It takes a lot to run a web site/blog/BB and thats why it is a pay site for chat and also got rid of some trouble makers. The cost of server space and time needed to police everyone is tough. I have run BB in the past and it can get really time consuming to reset passwords, veryify information, etc....

I have over 20yrs in Emergency Services and have a lot of knowledge to pass and this site is a great medium for it where there are some real good knowledgable people. I am a member of four other EMS sites similar to this one and I think this surpasses the rest without question.

I would like to see in the future here are online CME's but it costs money, time to set-up, and a EMS-I/Education team to coordinate and sign-off the CME.

I am NOT an admin...I am NOT friends of admin...I am NOT even a site moderator...this is my own opinion based on the changes I have seen and hope to see in the future.

Just my useless two cents...

Edited by Medic One
  • Like 1

I concur, while sometimes chat gets slow, it's hard not to agree that there was a 100% positive turn around. Certainly a higher number of fruitful debates and worthy discussions, with folks from all corners of the world. A diverse view of EMS, from every spectrum, which is no longer complicated by the high percentage of users that had no interest in EMS, just a fetish for the folks that do.

which is no longer complicated by the high percentage of users that had no interest in EMS, just a fetish for the folks that do.

WELL SAID!!!

Seems a touch elitist?

I think we as a community do a very good job of policing ourselves, no? If we want to spread education, how can we do it without being inviting to newcomers? Obviously there are the good and the bad, but historically look at how long the bad stick around, or, take to be converted?

I agree with ya....advertising would be good with good policing policies.

Facebook came to mind because it is so popular. I remember about 2 or 3 sites ago (;D) there was a collection of banners we could use to promote. I would love to have a PDF file we could print off and put up in breakrooms, or a couple of images we could put on our blogs/websites ect. Thats more of what I was getting at. Don't get me wrong, there isn't anything wrong with who is here, but, you can only preach to the chior so long, no? Phil, and Ruff, can only get into so many arguements!!! :) I do love the way the site has become over the last year, its a bit more drastic to me, since I was gone for a while, but none the less it has improved for the better. Take pride in what you have helped to create!

• Like 1

I think if the tutorials area takes off it would be easier to promote.

When people have questions about a certain topic I would certainly email them the link to that specific tutorial, and they could choose to do whatever they wanted with it.

I tell every student I precept about the site as a good place to start exploring EMS outside of their norm. Most have signed up, few if any have participated.

Should be pretty easy to whip up a PDF with some basic info, however to me it seems people would not be receptive to flyers because they would still be tasked with having to type things in. Which makes it as valuable as word of mouth. Using email would be optimal, as it would make it only a click away.

Brent something to think about, instead of creating an EMTCity facebook group why don't you take the link, and write a little paragraph and post it on already established EMT and paramedic groups ...