H1N1

Quakefire

Is this official Canada Fluwatch site accurately reporting? CTV News Reported 34 Deaths Total in AB alone tonight Nov 12.

I would be inclined to agree with that number considering how many I know have occurred in/around the city here ...

CDC Estimates of 2009 H1N1 Cases and Related Hospitalizations and Deaths from April-October 17, 2009, By Age Group

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/estimates_2009_h1n1.htm

Scroll down and check out the graph, SO NOT the predicted by age demographic breakdown.

cheers

Note the continent of Africa is not reporting.

Am I missing something or is it just Africa missing something? :wtf: Oh hang on, the paper containing the reporting statistics was used by someone to roll a blunt!

Of course we are not reporting, it's all part of the African culling system. Only the strong survive to a ripe old age on this continent. On a serious note though, it's interesting reading everyone's comments and views on this (even though this is probably the 100th thread on the topic). Especially seeing how the rest of the world seems to take this little issue so serious with providing people with HAZMAT suits and spending millions of $$$ inoculating everyone and sundry. In Namibia we have had (if memory serves correctly) 25 confirmed cases. One which was flown by a colleague / competition of mine who eventually ended six feet under. The transport remaining a story for another day :withstupid:

Either way, it would have been nice to see some positive and pro active response in contrary to the normal "african mentality" that we have to deal with daily. I will continue reading all the threads on H1N1 and try as I am doing to institute some form of first world response to this scourge that has the rest of the world well and truly alarmed.

Edited by SA_Medic

blunt :wtf2:

Is that spy talk :book:

SA_medic: the World Health Organisation website is FUBAR as I post this, when I posted the information the Continent of Africa was not reporting H1N1, perhaps where AIDs, Leprosy, and Malaria deaths daily H1N1 it is not really worth reporting ?

Hey don't shoot the messenger :o

cheers

Blunt = cigar hollowed out and filled with the green stuffs. We do after all have the good stuff here apparently. LOL

My sarcasm wasn't aimed at yourself, it was mostly just a venting session at the idiocy of our governments who do not seem to really care about the citizens that placed them in their high and mighty positions in the first place. Never mind me though, it's just on of those days where I feel like sitting on the side walk and using the tar road to slit my wrists. Seeing as we have been having more and more cases of measles being reported in recent months, and here I though they at least managed to get rid of that, yeah right!

Blunt = cigar hollowed out and filled with the green stuffs. We do after all have the good stuff here apparently. LOL

My sarcasm wasn't aimed at yourself, it was mostly just a venting session at the idiocy of our governments who do not seem to really care about the citizens that placed them in their high and mighty positions in the first place. Never mind me though, it's just on of those days where I feel like sitting on the side walk and using the tar road to slit my wrists. Seeing as we have been having more and more cases of measles being reported in recent months, and here I though they at least managed to get rid of that, yeah right!

It wasnt ... dang now I am HURT. :angry:

First: PUT THAT ROAD TAR DOWN , hell the frustration will kill you first, then your knocked up wife will benefit from the insurance :shiftyninja:

Pfft: You have to read "High Times" Man ... British Columbia has the best BUD ... the fans know ... the fans know :whistle:

SA_medic:

Well the WHO site is back up and running:

Weekly update

13 November 2009 -- As of 8 November 2009, worldwide more than 206 countries and overseas territories or communities have reported laboratory confirmed cases of pandemic influenza H1N1 2009, including over 6250 deaths. As many countries have stopped counting individual cases, particularly of milder illness, the case count is likely to be significantly lower than the actual number of cases that have occurred. WHO is actively monitoring the progress of the pandemic through frequent consultations with the WHO Regional Offices and member states and through monitoring of multiple sources of data.

Situation update:

The winter influenza season, which began unusually early across much of the Northern Hemisphere, shows early signs of peaking in parts of North America but is intensifying across much of Europe and Central and Eastern Asia.

In North America, Canada reported sharp increases in rates of influenza-like-illness (ILI), detections of pandemic H1N1 virus, and school outbreaks over the past three weeks as pandemic activity continues to spread west to east. In the United States, influenza transmission remains geographically widespread and intense but largely unchanged since the previous reporting week; rates of hospitalizations among persons aged 0-4 years, 5-17 years, and 18-49 years have now exceeded those seen during recent previous influenza seasons. Disease activity may have peaked in the earlier affected southern and south eastern parts of the United States. In Mexico, influenza activity remains geographically widespread with a significant wave of cases reported since early September, most notably from central and southern Mexico.

WHO Regional Office for Africa (AFRO)

Cases reported 14868

Deaths reported 103

So besides the fact that the FLU season typically is seasonally influenced these cases reported and deaths for the entire continent of Africa are quite insignificant based on the population, your getting off lucky.

Edited by tniuqs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.