Your typical Lifeline call

P_Instructor

I could have bet my mortgage you would respond to this with a holier-than-thou post.

You did not disappoint.

Do you require people to avert their gaze when they meet you?

Just wondering.

I used to not care for her posting style, but then I realized two things...

1. When you see the name Ventmedic, it grabs your attention and makes you read what she writes. The cool thing about reading her posts is she puts some attitude and passion behind what she says, as do some of the other posters on this site.

2. Second thing is, I learned to not feel intimidated by what she says. I realized after a while that she is not going to lower her bar anytime soon for somebody who has lower standards than she does. It also came to my attention that in many ways, we see more eye to eye than I previously thought. That led me to conclude that she is not 'holier than thou' but rather has 30+ of professional experience over me, thus truly being out of mine, and most people's leagues. I would also imagine she has more 'professional' experience than the majority of posters on this site (and I am not talking about wacker experience either :P ).

Just my thought though. Everyone is entitled, I guess...

Matty

That is a whole new can of worms for a different thread. But the guys who do these programs get paid OT for it or volunteer their time for the greater good of the community.

I agree its a completely different issue I was just curious ... but on the other hand If I went to my administration and asked them to pay people around 45$'s an hour (average OT for a Medic in my company that I am aware of) to check smoke detectors, check car seats etc ... what do you think they would tell me ? [that's about 165K a year if 1 person does this for 10 hours a day] If they were going to pay me OT, why not put me to use on a truck, there are multiple OT openings on trucks nearly everyday. If we had all these people willing to donate time, we should put extra units in service and decrease response time during peak hours before we go doing public safety crusades. Lets try and "save lives" before we "prevent injury" life over limb no?

As it was said earlier, the idea's are great, the practicality is not there.

Edited by tskstorm

Probably not in your case but we're not all big hot shot NYC medics. My department in MD placed prevention pretty high on the priority list and thankfully we have enough employees to staff such events. I get that it wouldn't work for you but it does work for us.

Probably not in your case but we're not all big hot shot NYC medics. My department in MD placed prevention pretty high on the priority list and thankfully we have enough employees to staff such events. I get that it wouldn't work for you but it does work for us.

I'll just let part of that slide. Public assist calls are a social work issue, actually, since you're so community oriented, why can't the next door neighbor (even if next door is 2 miles away) go and help that person find their eye glasses? Why must they rely on 9-1-1 and not their community? Why do we not take care of each other, and leave 9-1-1 for true emergencies as it was designed

I used to not care for her posting style, but then I realized two things...

1. When you see the name Ventmedic, it grabs your attention and makes you read what she writes. The cool thing about reading her posts is she puts some attitude and passion behind what she says, as do some of the other posters on this site.

2. Second thing is, I learned to not feel intimidated by what she says. I realized after a while that she is not going to lower her bar anytime soon for somebody who has lower standards than she does. It also came to my attention that in many ways, we see more eye to eye than I previously thought. That led me to conclude that she is not 'holier than thou' but rather has 30+ of professional experience over me, thus truly being out of mine, and most people's leagues. I would also imagine she has more 'professional' experience than the majority of posters on this site (and I am not talking about wacker experience either :P ).

Just my thought though. Everyone is entitled, I guess...

Matty

There are several people here with that much experience or more- myself included.

Look, there is no reason for a condescending attitude.

NONE.

If someone is trying to show how important/knowledgeable/brilliant/experienced/educated they are, then they are trying too hard. The opinions someone expresses are based on their experiences, and since this is truly a world wide community here, what is appropriate for a big city urban area are not necessarily applicable to a small rural service. Additionally, a service in Australia may be very different than something from the UK or here. There are too many variables to make blanket assumptions about someone, where they work, or what they should do.

This is an anonymous public forum, and as such, some people are prone to hyperbole, exaggeration, or even adopt a completely different persona, so a person who claims to be brand new is actually a 20 year vet, and vice versa. Whatever, so I always take these things with a grain of salt. Personally, I am who I am and am not prone to BS. It's too much trouble to play some role here.

I would never assume to be an expert on a rural system since my experience in one is limited to 30 years ago. Similarly, when someone tells me what will or will not work in a busy urban system, they had better be familiar with the what goes on in such a place.

The basics don't change, but as several urban providers here have said, in a busy system, back to back calls are the norm, and like it or not, there simply is not enough time to solve a patient's complex social service issues, nor do I feel we are even qualified to do this.

• Like 1

There are several people here with that much experience or more- myself included.

Truly professional experience with the education to back it up is what I am talking about.

Look, there is no reason for a condescending attitude.

NONE.

Where is the condescending attitude. Consider yourself an equal to whoever is condescending, that way it doesn't feel so bad.

If someone is trying to show how important/knowledgeable/brilliant/experienced/educated they are, then they are trying too hard. The opinions someone expresses are based on their experiences, and since this is truly a world wide community here, what is appropriate for a big city urban area are not necessarily applicable to a small rural service. Additionally, a service in Australia may be very different than something from the UK or here. There are too many variables to make blanket assumptions about someone, where they work, or what they should do.

This paragraph honestly does not makes sense.

Regarding assumptions, I am assuming you are in reference to the post about the South American medic who discussed a possible case of neglect by a doctor. You should go review the thread, it turned out quite interesting.

This is an anonymous public forum, and as such, some people are prone to hyperbole, exaggeration, or even adopt a completely different persona, so a person who claims to be brand new is actually a 20 year vet, and vice versa. Whatever, so I always take these things with a grain of salt. Personally, I am who I am and am not prone to BS. It's too much trouble to play some role here.

And how do I know you are not lying, since this is an anonymous forum? Some things you just have to accept as being the truth, even though it may not be (and no, this quote cannot me used against me in the court of religion, whenever that debate comes up :devilish: )

I would never assume to be an expert on a rural system since my experience in one is limited to 30 years ago. Similarly, when someone tells me what will or will not work in a busy urban system, they had better be familiar with the what goes on in such a place.

I do not claim to be an expert either.

You said "when someone tells me what will or will not work in a busy urban system, they had better be familiar with the what goes on in such a place.". Why? What if I am not familiar? You gonna be condescending to me? Huh, Huh? :rolleyes:

The basics don't change, but as several urban providers here have said, in a busy system, back to back calls are the norm, and like it or not, there simply is not enough time to solve a patient's complex social service issues, nor do I feel we are even qualified to do this.

I do not believe anybody said for you to make it your job to solve 'complex social service issues'. I believe the intent of Vent's posting was to one, make everyone consider how the patient feels and two, consider ways to help your system reduce these calls, which probably includes more work than a normal everyday shift (and of course griping about it). This may mean doing some extra work for your agency's benefit by contacting the necessary people to correct the issue.

Maybe it is just a difference in viewpoint, but my impression of Vent's posts is that they are upfront and truthful.

Maybe Vent does have to heighten her ego every so often. It does not really matter. Grow some thick skin, gain knowledge from the posts, study up on it, and come back with something that will make her think, so that she can come back with something to make you think.

Matty

• Like 1

Truly professional experience with the education to back it up is what I am talking about.

Where is the condescending attitude. Consider yourself an equal to whoever is condescending, that way it doesn't feel so bad.

This paragraph honestly does not makes sense.

Regarding assumptions, I am assuming you are in reference to the post about the South American medic who discussed a possible case of neglect by a doctor. You should go review the thread, it turned out quite interesting.

And how do I know you are not lying, since this is an anonymous forum? Some things you just have to accept as being the truth, even though it may not be (and no, this quote cannot me used against me in the court of religion, whenever that debate comes up :devilish: )

I do not claim to be an expert either.

You said "when someone tells me what will or will not work in a busy urban system, they had better be familiar with the what goes on in such a place.". Why? What if I am not familiar? You gonna be condescending to me? Huh, Huh? :rolleyes:

I do not believe anybody said for you to make it your job to solve 'complex social service issues'. I believe the intent of Vent's posting was to one, make everyone consider how the patient feels and two, consider ways to help your system reduce these calls, which probably includes more work than a normal everyday shift (and of course griping about it). This may mean doing some extra work for your agency's benefit by contacting the necessary people to correct the issue.

Maybe it is just a difference in viewpoint, but my impression of Vent's posts is that they are upfront and truthful.

Maybe Vent does have to heighten her ego every so often. It does not really matter. Grow some thick skin, gain knowledge from the posts, study up on it, and come back with something that will make her think, so that she can come back with something to make you think.

Matty

Going in circles here. Look, I'm not here looking to get my ego stroked, I don't need validation that I do a good job, or for someone to tell me I know a thing or 2 about the business. I am here to learn whatever I can, get a laugh or 2, and exchange ideas.

We are talking about opinions here- nothing more. Expressing it "louder" than everyone else doesn't make that opinion any more important.

Just as a side note, there are state and federal laws against volunteering time for your company. If you were to come in on your day off, and do patient education in the name of your company for free, you would be setting them up for a wage and labor lawsuit.

• Like 1

Just as a side note, there are state and federal laws against volunteering time for your company. If you were to come in on your day off, and do patient education in the name of your company for free, you would be setting them up for a wage and labor lawsuit.

Important side note there Brent thanks.

Matty

You interpreting someone's intent is pretty much invaluable. My interpretation of her intent differs, as I'm sure herbie's does and I'm sure that also differs from the other posters. Understanding patients feelings is one thing, I understand the patients need for their glasses to be picked up, I understand their need for the smoke detectors to be checked. I also understand they don't need to and shouldn't need to dial 9-1-1 for these things to get done. The solution for their problems is a 'complex social service issues' which I can not help. Being disgusted with a call is not the same as being disrespectful or unprofessional on a call.

Edited by tskstorm
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.