Trauma versus Roy and Gage

...in the serious extraordinary cases they' huddle up and calmly figure out what to do. In Trauma, and on scene, most of the characters seem to be in panic mode. I think the very first lesson I learned in the field, and just from watching other providers, is no matter the gravity of the situation just act like you've been there before.

Bingo! That's something I mention in every episode review. They're all constantly freaking out over every run. Even the blonde bimbo, who is supposedly an MD and never struggles with diagnosing a zebra, always acts like she is on the verge of losing her wits, and control of the scene and patient, each time she makes a run. Seriously folks, how hard is that to fix? The actors on Hill Street Blues didn't freak out on every domestic disturbance they went on. They handled it like professionals who had seen and done it all before. If that bimbo is a senior medic, then she should have seen and done all this before, and ought to be acting like it. I'd fire any medic who didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I really haven't seen much of "Trauma", but I think I saw every "Emergency". "Trauma" is more like a soap opera. Johnny and Roy never shown panic, even in a dire situation.

I worked with a guy that looked just like Johnny, and was constantly harrassed by the Chief to get his hair cut. But his skills were a little sub-par, but acceptable.lol

When they put "Emergency or Emergency 1" in syndication, and I was then already in EMS, I noticed some "wrong" treatments. But back then in the early days of EMS those might have been the protocols of the time. EMS is always changing and is evolving, and it always will.

But I've got to go with the Roy & Johnny show. Much more professional than the panic stricken "Trauma"IMHO

Edited by firedoc5

When they put "Emergency or Emergency 1" in syndication, and I was then already in EMS, I noticed some "wrong" treatments. But back then in the early days of EMS those might have been the protocols of the time. EMS is always changing and is evolving, and it always will.

Exactly. I never saw any medical inaccuracies in EMERGENCY!, and any current contentions of inaccuracies can indeed be explained by changing medicine.

I look at Trauma like this, it is an idea of EMS that is out of proportion. My wife can watch Trauma and get that the job is stressful, and requires intelligence and quick thinking. It show's the characters as human, not as perfect automatons. That is a needed change. People have seen Medics being portrayed in television and movies as either white knight heroes or burned out morons. It is nice to see a more realistic look. Far from perfect but most of these characters exist, and we should accept that. At least it focuses on the positives and also shows negative outcomes. We make mistakes and people can die. That was recently illustrated in a way that is obvious and

We make mistakes and people can die. That was recently illustrated in a way that is obvious and...(?)

Agreed. What upsets me is that they portray those mistakes as no big deal, stating "it happens to everyone, so don't worry about it!" That is bullshyte. In any credible system in the US, beard boy would have been sacked and decertified for his fatal mistake, not given a slap on the back and platitudes.

I think the two shows simply deliver what the public wants (wanted) to see.

Personally I don't like both shows just because I don't really want to watch EMS related TV I just don't find it interesting. Emergency! is however, far more medically accurate.

I think the two shows simply deliver what the public wants (wanted) to see.

Personally I don't like both shows just because I don't really want to watch EMS related TV I just don't find it interesting. Emergency! is however, far more medically accurate.

Is that why you've been heard bragging about owning the 'boxed set' of "Emergency!"?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.