"Please pass the S.A.L.T."

I recently had a training bus that is federally funded come through our county and got to experience some new equipment that had recently been placed out on the market. The one I was most intrigued by was the S.A.L.T. (Supraglottic Airway Laryngopharyngeal Tube) Apparently, the U.S. Government uses them in the military with the combat medics. I've done some (not a whole lot but enough to be familiar with its uses and the like) research on the device and am quite impressed with it. I got to use one during the training simulator and intubated 4/4 times. They even changed out the airways in the dummy to the a Mal # 4 and I still had ease of use.

Now, given the fact that this device has been used in the military and is slowly working its way in the urban EMS market. What are your thoughts? Do you think that this device will change what we use for airway control? Does anyone around you or even your service utilize this device? If so have you had any luck with the device, does it improve overall patient care?

Some might seem hesitant and I'm also looking for your opinion. Obviously, the old fashined way most people will not want to let go of. But, I'm for anything that will improve my patient's outcome safely and quickly. This device promises to do both.

The device itself is made of semi-maliable plastic with an elongated tube with a large base to "block" off the esophagus to prevent aspiration. It is a dual use BLS/ALS airway, in which using it BLS wise would be an advanced type of OPA. The device would also in turn eliminate the use of the laryngeal scope and properly intubate every time.

Here is the web address:

http://www.mdimicrotek.com/prod_salt.htm

Edited by Niftymedi911
  • Like 1

Cough ... Splutter ... **** ***T this is a re: make of the very old ORO Intubator, (basically an OPA with a hole large enough to accommodating an ETT #7.5) I have had one of those in my kit for over 14 years and it was designed by a Paramedic turned Gas passer in Calgary, there is no way the concept is anywhere new.

"Quote: The new patented disposable S.A.L.T.) the key word / fine print is the give away ....

• Establishes patient airway like an oral airway.

(OK)

• Eliminates the need for a laryngoscope.

(Nope)

• Makes endotracheal intubation simple, fast and easy.

(if your patient is flat)

• Patented securing clamp and strap included.

(the fine print)

Some might seem hesitant and I'm also looking for your opinion. Obviously, the old fashined way most people will not want to let go of. But, I'm for anything that will improve my patient's outcome safely and quickly. This device promises to do both.

If you want Quick practice with an L scope, this is not faster its another step and eliminate the need for an L scope well I disagree, what this SALT device promises is a profit margin for the company.

That said these are good devices, about a 85% first pass success rate (in OR settings) and provides a good bite block, as for blocking secretions and preventing aspiration well good luck with that is is a marketing tool, once one dilates the cardiac sphincter you have opened it up to MRE regurgitation...

Stated in the PDF "Claim to fame"

* There are no hassels

Really? what about the 15% or so % that is unsuccessful, fill the gut with Air ?

* No need to struggle with an clumsy L-Scope ?

Interesting because how can one remove a FBO just me I dont find a L scope clumsy in the slightest (I like to see and visualize the cords)besides are the marketes insinuating that going blind is the best of all worlds ?

*Reduces procedure time.

PFFT.

*Reduces Packaging Waste.

Or add more crap.

*Safe Easy Effective.

OK all invasive procedures are Safe, Easy, and always effective, quite obvious we are talking a very flat patient here like no V/S and no gag.

Bottom line Let the Buyer Beware.

Edited by tniuqs

So I went to the site and watched the video. Did you notice that when he was bagging the patient, the lungs on the mannequin did NOT inflate... and then after he ventilated the tube, they did not show us the lungs... mmmmmm

AHHH - I'm probably nitpicking....

The white plastic thing is supposed to be used to move the tongue. But it bends too much. I got one for free from the inventor. Like most new devices that pop up in JEMS, I ask a question, and voila. Get one in the mail. NuMask, SAM Sling - yes.. a fricken SAM Sling, for free.. Those rolled up trauma dressings, gauze in a syringe. A tip from the training table. Keep a packet of lube with it, tends to get stuck.

20091019_26.jpg

• Like 1

The white plastic thing is supposed to be used to move the tongue. But it bends too much. I got one for free from the inventor. Like most new devices that pop up in JEMS, I ask a question, and voila. Get one in the mail. NuMask, SAM Sling - yes.. a fricken SAM Sling, for free.. Those rolled up trauma dressings, gauze in a syringe. A tip from the training table. Keep a packet of lube with it, tends to get stuck.

20091019_26.jpg

Jeez aparently I need to ask more questions, I like free stuff

• Like 1

Kind of looks like a bad-ass OPA meets the [intubating] LMA. I am open to new things but I would need to have a play with it and see how well it isolates the esophagus. Probably going to wind up being a new tool for intubation like a bougie or a super-sexy OPA replacement. Doesn't look cheap I'd gather a bet it'd be cheaper to use an OPA if the results are no better. Did I say results? Time for some randomised trials Batman!

Now where oh where is my $500 an hour anaesthesologist with my diprivan, man these wisdowm teeth are bad, perhaps he can use the SALT airway on me?

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.