Been in a CISD?

n7lxi

As part of my paramedic program, I am taking a course called "Well being of the EMS professional". I was tasked with writing an opinion paper on CISD.

I am looking for EMS professionals that have been involved with EMS for at least 5 years and have taken part in a Critical Incident Stress Debriefing. No matter if your experience was good or bad, if you're pro or con, I'd like to be able to send you some interview questions via PM or email... or we could speak on the phone.

If you're willing to help, please send me a PM and I'll return your message promptly.

City Folks, I appreciate your help.

Rob

As part of my paramedic program, I am taking a course called "Well being of the EMS professional". I was tasked with writing an opinion paper on CISD.

I am looking for EMS professionals that have been involved with EMS for at least 5 years and have taken part in a Critical Incident Stress Debriefing. No matter if your experience was good or bad, if you're pro or con, I'd like to be able to send you some interview questions via PM or email... or we could speak on the phone.

If you're willing to help, please send me a PM and I'll return your message promptly.

City Folks, I appreciate your help.

Rob

I am a member of our CISD team shoot me a pm I would be more than happy to help you.

I am a member of our CISD team shoot me a pm I would be more than happy to help you.

Yes, One of our helicopters crashed and killed a friend of mine. We went through the entire CISD stuff. Let me know what I can answer for you.

JW

• Like 1

The research shows that CISD on the whole is not recommended because while it may benefit a few, for most it does nothing or actually causes harm! Look for bbledsoe's article on the subject.

Been there. Done that. Got NOTHING good to say about it.

Fail.

:withstupid:

• Like 1

I understand that some people find them valuable, and some find them a waste of time. I've received several PMs from EMS folks that have been involved in a CISD event and they've all agreed to answer some basic interview questions about the process.

If you'd like to throw your 2 cents in, I'll be happy to forward the questions to you.

Good or bad, I'm interested in all opinions. In addition to the anecdotal information I'll be gathering from you guys and gals, I'll be digging through research, including Bledsoe's article, and forming my own opinion to deliver in my paper.

And as an aside, I think this is a really valuable portion of the curriculum of the Paramedic Education Program I'm enrolled in. Almost anyone can tube a rubber head, not everyone can write a cohesive college level position paper. I'm glad it's a requirement for us.

The research shows that CISD on the whole is not recommended because while it may benefit a few, for most it does nothing or actually causes harm! Look for bbledsoe's article on the subject.

:withstupid:

• Like 4

And as an aside, I think this is a really valuable portion of the curriculum of the Paramedic Education Program I'm enrolled in. Almost anyone can tube a rubber head, not everyone can write a cohesive college level position paper. I'm glad it's a requirement for us.

Completely agreed! Your instructors can preach to you, or they can lead you to discover knowledge through the real education that comes with research. I'm happy to see that they are sending you on such a quest.

I was involved with a CISD after I was on an MVC that killed a classmate of mine, and her sister.

I would have much preferred an informal, grab a chair and pull it up in the engine bay, and just talk with the old salts and the counsilers, the CISD did work.

I think the CISD is helpful, as long as it is not forced.

• Like 1

Will be happy to answer any questions that you have. My two cents worth: Its not a bad thing if it is voluntary, and it is closed to everyone except those who were involved in the call (should offer invitation to dispatchers, they are often forgotten). I have found that sometimes you have people show up that want to be spectators, who had no involvment with the event. But I think it should just be used to "vent", if someone is really troubled by an event they should see a true mental health professional. I have found it to be more useful in rural areas where you may have volunteers who are part-time providers, and due to the low call volume, they are not used to dealing with these calls, and/or the patient may have been a friend/relative.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.