Staring eyes in CPR

Echoburger

....not a problem- unless they start blinking.

/quote]

Laugh....It actually has happened to me when I was a Basic doing CPR on someone in VF. The patient was actually looking and blinking at me while I pumped on his chest. Now that was freaky! Still remember that to this day....

makes me think of the story in the book "EMERGENCY" by jerome hoffman of the guy that they claimed came back to "life" everytime they started CPR and "died" everytime they stopped. Evidently he would open his eyes and blink everytime they started CPR back up, then revert to the partial closed of death. He stated everybody in the ER thought he was looking at them...was there awareness there? Who knows, but freaky indeed.

BTW - if you haven't read the book it's a decent read. True incidents that are funny, sad, etc but best because all are true.

• Like 1

Since we're all here talking about CPR, I hope my question won't be considered a 'hijack'.....

We've all been told that proper CPR will break ribs. My current instructor insists that if we break ribs during CPR that we're doing it improperly, and if she has anything to say about it, we'll be brought up on charges of abuse.

Any thoughts?

Actually, corneal injuries are quite common in unresponsive and intubated patients. It is not uncommon to keep the eyes closed during surgery or following a RSI to prevent corneal injury.

Take care,

chbare.

Most excellent point, in OR all patients eyes recieve "goo" and taped.

More freaky is an old partner he sleep with his eyes open ... now that was just un-nerving and if you shook him to wake him up for a call he would jump scare the crap out of me, even though one knew he was going to do.

We've all been told that proper CPR will break ribs. My current instructor insists that if we break ribs during CPR that we're doing it improperly, and if she has anything to say about it, we'll be brought up on charges of abuse.

I think we're all guilty of parroting the old line about breaking ribs being the norm. I've said it. But when we say it, we're actually oversimplifying for the audience. Popping a lot of cartilage with CPR is normal. Separating ribs from the sternum is normal. But actually breaking ribs would, in most cases, be a complication secondary to improper CPR.

I think we're all guilty of parroting the old line about breaking ribs being the norm. I've said it. But when we say it, we're actually oversimplifying for the audience. Popping a lot of cartilage with CPR is normal. Separating ribs from the sternum is normal. But actually breaking ribs would, in most cases, be a complication secondary to improper CPR.

Since the catilage 'spacer's between the ossified portion of the rib and the body of the sternum are actually part of both the rib and the sternum, wouldn't separating the rib from the sternum actually be considered 'breaking the ribs'?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.