Staring eyes in CPR

Echoburger

Is it me or does everyone find it a little freaky when in a cardiac arrest situation the patient just kinda stares at you. Other than that (and the smells, of course)...it's seems okay. Also...why do pt's in cardiac arrest open their eyes? I'd have to say that having the pt "stare" at you while you do CPR is kinda disturbing. I recently saw a cardiac arrest patient be brought in with her head tilted...when she passed me it looked as if she was just staring...lol.

Any opinions?

Nope, not just you. Did CPR on a 6-yo drowning victim for almost 2hrs a couple months ago (calling TOD was complicated) and I can still see her eyes, bright blue. A nurse finally taped them shut, she said to keep them from getting dry, but I think it was bothering her even more than me.

• Like 1

Just wait until that supposedly very deceased person noisily "exhales" residual air when you move them. That will get your attention.

LOL

haha - makes me think of when I worked back in university a few years ago with a brand new CNA in the ER (for some reason she got floated down there was interesting as she hated it). Had a pt pass away and we had to relocate him. Got the stuff together to move him and the cart. He was nicely already packaged to move. Unfortunately, we ended up with the cart that didn't like to lock, so you had to do the foot stop thing which under most circumstances wasn't a big deal. I told I would be nice and take the head and she could take the foot to transfer (we both were short and reaching across was a challenge for both so dead people got moved head to foot). I had my foot down, and did the okay, 1,2,3, move. She picked up feet and had them about halfway on the cart. I had the head and was right between the two beds (she moved a little quicker than I) when that "moan" you get happens. Poor thing turned pale white, dropped the guy and went OH SHEAT ! HE'S ALIVE ! Well, I now had 200+ pounds of dead weight just dropped on me and I couldn't help it and dropped the guy right on the floor. Woops :o Anyhow, if the fact that the girl ran out, I dropped the dead guy and he is now laying on the trauma room floor wasn't bad enough - tack in the fact that two FF from the local fire/ems were sitting there completing their run report and are now laughing their butts off. Yes, somethings people just never live down (even 3 years late I still haven't). Fortunately they were nice and helped me get the guy off the floor, but not without a few red faces and a good laugh. Yeah, that brought back bad memories there herbie - thanks :angry:

• Like 1

Nope, not just you. Did CPR on a 6-yo drowning victim for almost 2hrs a couple months ago (calling TOD was complicated) and I can still see her eyes, bright blue. A nurse finally taped them shut, she said to keep them from getting dry, but I think it was bothering her even more than me.

Actually, corneal injuries are quite common in unresponsive and intubated patients. It is not uncommon to keep the eyes closed during surgery or following a RSI to prevent corneal injury.

Take care,

chbare.

...Also...why do pt's in cardiac arrest open their eyes? I'd have to say that having the pt "stare" at you while you do CPR is kinda disturbing.

Any opinions?

Lids in the partially 'open' position if their natural relaxed position. Closure requires flexion, so in most cases, consciousness.

For some reason the dead have never bothered me. Babies, adults, for the majority, no problem. What grosses me out is the living left to suffer.

Dwayne

Wait until someone reaches up and grabs your arms while you're doing compressions on his/her chest. The first time that happens will really throw you for a loop.

-be safe

Was it something like this mike ?:hug:

• Like 1

Actually, corneal injuries are quite common in unresponsive and intubated patients. It is not uncommon to keep the eyes closed during surgery or following a RSI to prevent corneal injury.

Take care,

chbare.

I know, it was just a little late is all. We all knew she was gone. Thanks though.

Edited by maverick56

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.