TRAUMA - Episode 3, 12 Oct 09

Dustdevil

Just wondering, if you guys hate this show why are you still watching it?

I don't like the news either, but I still watch it every day.

I posed some questions to Sebastian Wong who is the Section cheif for the EMS Division at SFFD. Here is his reply, he requested that I do not edit nor redact any of his email response. You will see some insights as to the origens of this show that are not public knowledge.

I have more of a dialogue with Chief Wong but you get the picture from this email response of his.

AS for the original technical advisor, it seems that his suggestions fell on deaf ears and he got fed up with the BS that the producers put him through and he left the show after a episode or two.

Here is where Chief Wong's email to me starts: :::::::::

Dear Mr. Ruff,

I am involved with the show only in the capacity that they come by the Station 49 and visit like any member of the public can.

I think you are interested in how this show began, to that end, I will try to answer your questions. The show was created by Dario Scardapane, a writer. He had ideas fed to him about how heroic the profession of EMS was. The ideas came from a friend or acquaintance he met in the Los Angeles City area who was an EMS worker

Dario wrote the script for the pilot and sold it to a production company run by Peter Berg. The production company committed financial resources to film the "Pilot" episode. The producers went to the San Francisco Film Commission and asked for assistance with the permits necessary to film the "Pilot" episode.

The command staff of the SFFD received a copy of the "Pilot" and they were not amused nor pleased with the depiction of the profession of EMS or its paramedics or EMT's. The Department's initial response to requests for assistance from the producers was "No". However, the producers used politics to try and get the "Pilot" made. They appealed to the Mayor's Office and the Mayor's Office told the command staff to provide the necessary assistance. The reasoning from the Mayor's Office was that, the general public would understand that this show was fiction and the local economy needed the additional financial revenue that a TV series produced on location would generate. It didn't hurt that the producers put the Mayor's lovely young wife in the "Pilot", who by the way is an aspiring actress. "Pilot" episodes are usually produced in a way to entice Network TV Executives to buy the series; so they have large amounts of sensationalized and stylized themes. It is also designed to try and lure audiences to the series and then try to capture their interest enough with subsequent storyline development to keep ratings up and the renewal of the series. (i.e. more money coming back to the production company who invested a lot of money up front)

The original technical adviser that was hired is a paramedic currently employed by us. He is an excellent paramedic and has worked for several systems that are also excellent EMS systems, Austin City-Travis County being one of them. He also had the advantage of being a former Network TV Executive who worked for the Fox Network prior to him leaving that job and becoming a paramedic.

His initial efforts to correct the inaccuracies were unsuccessful. The most interesting battle involved the use of Atropine in the cardiac arrest scene at the 280 freeway. Jeff told the writers that Atropine was not in the ACLS Algorithm or in the SF EMS System treatment protocols or any protocol for that matter but he was overridden by the writers and the creative production staff because the writer liked the sound of the word "Atropine".

The frustration of providing input and not having it heeded proved too much and he resigned from their employ after the third episode was filmed. My involvement in the program is that I am the operations manager of the ambulance division for the SFFD. The actors came through my ambulance deployment center and rode with SFFD paramedics and EMT's. The production staff also visited the deployment center and tried to pattern the set after it. I have met the creative staff and tried to share with them how inaccurate the show is and how it could produce negative impressions of our SFFD crews. The producers assured me that it was not their intent to ridicule the EMS profession or the SFFD but to try and demonstrate the heroic nature of the profession. (We will see.)

To answer your question, I am involved in the show in as much as I am required to open the doors of my station to them should they want to schedule a visit to the station or schedule the actors for ride alongs. I did not write the script nor provide them with any technical advice except for my concerns that I have shared in other boards. My involvement will continue as long as the Mayor tells the department to provide assistance to the producers.

I have no regret for having no control over what the producers and writers put out. NBC is a free standing business that is not controlled by the City of San Francisco or the SFFD. The writers have a First Amendment right to write whatever they feel like writing provided it meets the censorship standards of the network and the FCC. If I were the Executive Producer or Writer, I would regret it but I am not and If I were the Executive Producer or Writer, I would put out a totally different show.

I find it interesting to read the comments of the paramedics, nurses, Helicopter EMS crews on the NBC board, the "EMS Professionals against NBC's Trauma Facebook Page" , and the TRAUMA page on FB. There are some comments that would damage our profession more than the show. I am also disappointed with the level of EMS education, some of the posters clearly do not have a good grasp of the subject matter. And many of the posters are about as egotistical as the fictional "Rabbit" character. I sense that due to the nascent profession that EMS is, 35 years of history vs. 150 plus for fire departments and police departments; the members are very sensitive because they have no singular voice to rally around. The IAFC EMS Section is protesting because the show is based around Fire Based EMS services. NAEMT is upset over the sex in the back of the ambulance and the clinical inaccuracies.

As for what stuff that happens in San Francisco on a regular basis? We are a busy metro sized department. We have never had two helicopters collide in San Francisco. We have had several MCI's with the latest happening in July of 2009 injuring 53 patients that we triaged, treated, and transported in 90 minutes (without using helicopters). The car into the street fair has not happened in San Francisco, (that story came from an incident on the Santa Monica Pier in Los Angeles County). We have had a gunman shoot 23 people and kill 13 in a high rise office building 1993 and I was at the 101 California MCI. We get about 1-2 shootings a week, 2-3 stabbings a week. 1-2 greater alarm fires a month and 1-2 MCI's a year. The rest of the calls are similar to what you would see in other Metro Departments. As for sex in the back of an ambulance, highly unlikely due to the aversion most of our crews have to contracting MRSA, which is a serious occupational risk.

I am proud of the men and women that are the SFFD. We provide excellent clinical care and compassionate service to the citizens and visitors of San Francisco. I have been in the profession for 34 years and I believe that I can distinguish reality from fiction.

I hope I have answered your questions. Feel free to call or write back.

Seb Wong

Edited by Ruffems

A very good question, firstly take the emotion out of this "hate" this is constructive criticism with literary licence.

Firstly: Informed consumers do change change marketing, information on trans fats for example was affected by Vortmann's cookies when the Presidents daughter became a nutritionist and said Daddy we are killing people with this shit, when government regulators dragged there feet and ignored the researchers .. more than one way to skin a cat, so if we stop watching and don't voice our opinions its like the ostrich putting it's head in the sand = apathy.

(and just a very effective example is all)

Secondly: Because vast majority on this EMT City site do strive for professionalism, we take the time to support the newer folks, with stimulating conversation regarding many aspects off and on the job, present evidence based medicine and the controversy (oh and debate) and develop an international website for an exchange of ideas .... oh, last but not least have some FUN.

Watch it, make notes and write letters ... as the pen IS mightier than the sword.

cheers

Yes I am still watching it when its posted here Monday night football waching my son play is more imporant!

And I have a bet on when Rabbit sacks the pilot in how many episodes! :innocent::whistle:

Edited by itku2er

<snip>

Thanks Ruff, appreciate the leg work.

Point in fact, the PEN is mightier than the Sword.

:thumbsup:

edited for incorrect smiley .

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

Great reply from Seb Wong! Kudos to him for taking the time and interest to share his thoughts with us, and thank you for posting it!

This surprised me more than anything though:

We get about 1-2 shootings a week, 2-3 stabbings a week.

:blink:

In the entire city of SF?? I've worked cities less than half that size that got that many a day. If the gays are that passive, I'm not sure I want them in my military.

• Like 1

In the entire city of SF?? I've worked cities less than half that size that got that many a day. If the gays are that passive, I'm not sure I want them in my military.

The city of SF is just a little over 700,000. There was a number quoted earlier for 1.4 million but that may be the number for the entire county.

San Francisco has gotten its ranking now in crime and violence. The Mission District is no longer safe for tourists except from 10 - 2. Bayview-Hunters Point (by old Navy Shipyard) neighborhoods are considered beyond hope for crime...and contamination.

Even the Mayor of Scramento, Kevin Johnson, retired NBA, got robbed at Union Square during a visit to SF last week.

The gays make up just a very small population in San Francisco. Unfortunately gang violence has hit them directly when it occured a couple years ago at their famous Halloween Street Festival. That party has been shut down which did cost the Castro and the city some serious tourism dollars. I would say it was much more than what the Mayor has forked out to get his wife that tiny part on Trauma. $270,000 for a tent so the crew of Trauma could have lunch is a little ridiculous and that was due to someone not reading the fine print. These productions crews aren't idiots but the eager politicians can be. BTW, Mayor Newsom also has his bid in for Governor so this keeps him and the city in the press. Good or bad it is publicity just the same.

Well, I can relate to the feelings so many of us have. I am in the military and go crazy watching shows/movies which do things wrong. My ex wife and current girlfriend will tell you that watching anything military on TV with me can be torture! Hell, I even biched during G.I. Joe!!!! (I wont watch The Unit o TV and almost lost my mind during the movie Basic!!)

So we can do one of two things, quit watching or watch and accept the issues. I mean come on folks, was MASH correct either militarily or medically? But it was a grat show. I think people know that any TV show uses lots of creative license!

I watched the first episode of truma togive it a chance and after that said it was not worth my time. I moved on. I think if "we" as a profesion put as much energy into making positive changes in our profession as we are in complaining about this show, we could make something happen!

Take Care and Stay Safe!!!!

Sarge

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.