Advanced care paramedics

Hi Guys,

I am currently spending 28 hours a day working on a pilot project for an advanced care paramedic scheme here in the UK. If successful this project will be rolled out across the whole of the UK.

I am at the stage now where we are developing the educational side of the scheme and wondered if anyone had any links or advice, info etc that they could let me have to assist me in this venture.

The main topics we are looking at currently ;

Intra nasal diamorphine for paediatrics.

Trans cutaneous pacing

Adenosine use for SVT

CPAP

this list is not exhaustive - so any advanced stuff would be great.

I know some of you guys do cpap, pacing and adenosine as a regular paramedic - but this is something we do not do here.

Regards

Andy

Hey Andy...Ill type up our protocols on transcutaneous pacing, adenosine for SVT and CPAP for you. Have a busy day today so I'll try to get it done tonight and get it to you by tomorrow. We dont do the nasal diamorphine so I cant help much there.

Edited by Nypaemt39

I'm not entirely familiar with all the details of the UK system, so could maybe provide a breakdown on the current model of practice? Also, doesn't the UK currently have an Emergency Care Practitioner that would cover a great deal of what the US has been calling Advanced Practice Paramedic. (Advanced Care Paramedic means something different in Canada and is our ALS level) Though looking at the short list you've provided I'm surprised this isn't already included in your scope. All of the listed interventions are within the ACP scope here (except CPAP which isn't anywhere until next year and will be a PCP and ACP skill). In other words I'm just confused as to where this would all fit in?

In the meantime, this link will take you to the Central East Prehospital Care Program site, one of our seven provincial medical oversight programs. There you will find both PCP and ACP directives. Within the province there isn't a huge variation from program to program. If you have any questions let me know.

CEPCP

Edited by docharris

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your prompt replies - much appreciated.

In answer to Docharris, yes we have an emergency care practitioner scheme here that mainly look after more medical assessment rather than trauma stuff. We also have in our area a critical care program, the advanced care is more of a stepping stone between regular paramedic and critical care. Most of our critical care medics are based on helicopters - the advanced guys would be car based and located in order to be used as a rapid response team used to provide moere advanced interventions to assist the patient. Being car based the car would run 24/7 whereas the chopper guys only fly daylight hours. This is a new concept to the UK and we have been working on this for a while now - we have funding and all the right people "on board" - so we are now working out the educational protocols and then we should be ready for a pilot scheme.

As far as current scopes of practice go -

www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/research/hsri/emergencycare/prehospitalcare/jrcalcstakeholderwebsite/guidelines

the above is a link to our guidelines as emt-p.

Ian - or anyone else - here is my email addy - andymascall@hotmail.com

Thanks again,

Andy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.