Somebody Doesn't Like TRAUMA

bbledsoe

The absolute best timing in the video is at 3:15, when he talks about eating dinner at home, and they quickly cut to the general rubbing his belly like he's hungry. If that was intentional on Nick's part, that is BEYOND genius! :thumbsup:

Funny stuff. I have yet to watch this show, and I honestly don't know if I ever will. Based on the responses here, it would seem I'm not missing much. As for realism- well, unless it's a documentary, I don't expect anyone to realistically portray EMS. Think about all the early shows based on law enforcement. ADAM-12, CHiPPs, Hooker,- some were downright comical, and cartoonish, and certainly not accurate. Did LEO's boycott these shows or pitch a bitch to the studio heads? If they did, the studios did not care, and it certainly didn't matter because the public loved them, and if they generate $$$, that's all that matters to them. Being accurate is the least of their worries.

The daily grind of real EMS is not action packed or glamorous enough to make viewers tune in every week, but a fictionalized TV show may just stir interest in the profession and get people to look deeper, and maybe generate some interest. I look at it like "Backdraft". I loved the movie, but... to the uninformed, they think that every time a fire engine pulls out it's a multiple alarm fire with people hanging from windows. We know that is not the case, but it makes for great drama, and it did provide an upswing in interest for firefighting. Same for Top Gun and Navy pilots.

Sadly, "Bringing out the Dead" with Nicholas Cage had more truth in it to me than most of these silly TV shows. I knew a couple guys who could have played lead in that movie, but thankfully they are out of the business now.

Is it frustrating to see a lack of realism, which does nothing to help promote our cause, but I think we need to keep plugging along and remaining professional. Push for higher standards, push for parity in funding and respect, and take shows like Trauma for what they are: FICTION. WE know they are silly, and I think most of the public does as well. For those who think this is what EMS is all about- well, let's just say those folks probably also think a show like "Reno 911 is a documentary- meaning- you can't fix stupid.

• Like 1

The comment about the Hare Leg Splint is what got me laughing. By the way, has anyone actually used one of those?

Hasn't everyone? :unsure:

I remember when they were introduced in the mid 70's and we all wished we could have them, but were still stuck tying cravats onto Thomas Half Ring splints instead because our employers were too cheap. But between around 1978 and 1986, the Hare was all I ever used anywhere. Then the Sager came out and pretty well took over. I applied a buttload of Hares and Thomas Half Rings over the years though.

• Like 1

The Hare and the Sager were good in there day and as Dust I can't count how many I have put on ... hey just too bad Hitler didn't get to use the REEL splint :thumbsup:

(ps also free gak from Roger)

Hasn't everyone? :unsure:

I remember when they were introduced in the mid 70's and we all wished we could have them, but were still stuck tying cravats onto Thomas Half Ring splints instead because our employers were too cheap. But between around 1978 and 1986, the Hare was all I ever used anywhere. Then the Sager came out and pretty well took over. I applied a buttload of Hares and Thomas Half Rings over the years though.

I'm a fan of the Keller Blake Half Ring, myself.. The really, really, LONG, single piece traction splint. Between the two units, we have five adult, three pedi Hares, two Sagers, five Thomas and two KB traction splints. I didn't decide that, we just have them..

I'm sure Hitler would have hated the KTD just as much as I do. I personally like the Hare, until you have to take it apart and clean the straps.

WTSWHU?

Which Traction Splint Would Hitler Use? :lol:

Trauma portrays us as unprofessional sex crazed sexist adrenaline junkies

You mean we arn't unprofessional sex crazed sexist adrenaline junkies???????????????????

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of us are loved because we are just that..........

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.