I've got brain freeze.....

Pesticide being sprayed next to an elementary school. Wind gust takes it into two classrooms. 30-40 exposed, 15-20 with nausea and upset-stomach type symptoms, along with positive CO readings via SPCO (most below 10).

The weird part was, it was an organophosphate, but they all had CO symptoms. :confused:

• 6 months later...

while it's only two patients

parent or grandparent or a paed patient taken ill while you are treating the little 'un ...

tests the providers not only on patient care but working together as a time and the psychological care of the patient

Pesticide being sprayed next to an elementary school. Wind gust takes it into two classrooms. 30-40 exposed, 15-20 with nausea and upset-stomach type symptoms, along with positive CO readings via SPCO (most below 10).

The weird part was, it was an organophosphate, but they all had CO symptoms. :confused:

Some pesticides contain methylene chloride which can metabolize to CO hence the CO poisoning symptoms are the same.

while it's only two patients

parent or grandparent or a paed patient taken ill while you are treating the little 'un ...

tests the providers not only on patient care but working together as a time and the psychological care of the patient

Schools are always good for multiple victims. Could be noxious fumes, CO, one student with stomach flu and multiple students with "sympathetic" nausea and vomiting, etc.

Want to inject psychological issues PLUS a real medical/cardiac emergency? Have an elderly person(ie.spouse of deceased) at a funeral home develop chest pain, an arrythmia, syncope, etc and then need to deal with their refusal to leave the wake. Had more than a few of those.

Have a school bus full of of autistic kids in an MVA. Real life for me. Minor accident, but the psych first aid component was HUGE. 20 or so scared and disabled kids.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've got a brain freeze and have exhausted my resources in coming up with multi-patient scenarios and am looking for your help! If you can send me some scenarios that can be utilized in class, it would greatly be appreciated. Can be medical/trauma/whatever. Real life experiences, brainstorming ideas, what you saw while driving down the road, whatever. Send via PM to me and again, thanks!

These can be basic or advanced scenarios!

Here are a couple of scenarios we have done recently:

School Shooting MCI: Did this training in conjunction with local law enforcement, and turned it into a joint training scenario with them.

Mass Electrocution: We have done this in two situations: Pool setting, and packed bleachers at a football game. I like the football scenario as not much moulage to do for it.

Hydrofloric Acid explosion in a lab.

Our local MRDD program retired a smaller transport bus, and we hired the staff from the DD staff as patients, and did a special needs patient accident. It was a great learning experience for all parties involved.

I hope some of those you haven't done yet.

Lt. Zachary Wolfe

Delaware County EMS

Edited by EMS2712

We had a video on here recently of a PO who responds to an MVA with a tanker leaking anhydrous ammonia (I think). How about something similar? MVA leading to a HazMat scene to provide trauma and then all of the good samaritans who stop to help get sick, providing a medical component.

Try a small plane crash. One of those tiny commuter or private jet ones. 3 to 5 people on board. Overshot the runway and landing gear collapsed causing the plane to roll.

MVAs are always nice. See if you can get a local junkyard to donate a few cars, have the local FD beat the crap out of them real good. After that add patients, high school kids are good ones. Good multi agency practice and a PSA for the kids.

One I was recently part of. MVA involving an ambulance. Rig has a patient onboard. So now besides dealing with injuries from the MVA you are also dealing with whatever the original patient has and your throwing ina good dose of emotional trauma because you have a few of your own to treat.

I'll think of more later but got those out for now.

Try a small plane crash. One of those tiny commuter or private jet ones. 3 to 5 people on board. Overshot the runway and landing gear collapsed causing the plane to roll.

MVAs are always nice. See if you can get a local junkyard to donate a few cars, have the local FD beat the crap out of them real good. After that add patients, high school kids are good ones. Good multi agency practice and a PSA for the kids.

One I was recently part of. MVA involving an ambulance. Rig has a patient onboard. So now besides dealing with injuries from the MVA you are also dealing with whatever the original patient has and your throwing ina good dose of emotional trauma because you have a few of your own to treat.

Thanks, have done all the above, scenario and in real life (United Flt 232). Have done the ambulance scenario also as local service had deadly incident. Keep sending ideas though, I really appreciate it.

I was kinda thinking on the lines of possible 5-6 pediatrics that are sick in school, and to make it even more difficult (but will really test the assessment skill) make it a school for the deaf.

Again thanks and keep sending them.

No problem. Whats funny is I used the scenarios from real life as well LOL

Pedi MCI at a school for the deaf is good. Never would have thought about that one.

I was thinking of a really wacko one. One that would likely never happen ever but would test everyone to their breaking point. Kind of like wrapping several disaster movie scenes into one.

Chemical train has an accident. Responders go there. While triaging an explosion happens now a cloud of toxic fumes heads twords town. In the immediate area is a nursing home and a school. Before evac happens folks become ill. After evacing the patients out of harms way at the landing zone for the medivac flights you have a mishap that sends a copter to the ground.

So in this scenario you have the following elements:

Hazmat Situation with MCI

One set of responders taken out during triage

An evacuation with limited responders

Emotional toll from the elderly and children

Dealing with patients of all ages

Finally another accident that takes out more responders

Emotion of dealing with loss of co-workers

All this while dealing with dwindling resources and alot of different age groups, symptoms, injuries, distances and emotions.

I know its totally unreal and possibly never happen but figure it would make for one hell of a MCI scenario

No problem. Whats funny is I used the scenarios from real life as well LOL

Pedi MCI at a school for the deaf is good. Never would have thought about that one.

I was thinking of a really wacko one. One that would likely never happen ever but would test everyone to their breaking point. Kind of like wrapping several disaster movie scenes into one.

Chemical train has an accident. Responders go there. While triaging an explosion happens now a cloud of toxic fumes heads twords town. In the immediate area is a nursing home and a school. Before evac happens folks become ill. After evacing the patients out of harms way at the landing zone for the medivac flights you have a mishap that sends a copter to the ground.

So in this scenario you have the following elements:

Hazmat Situation with MCI

One set of responders taken out during triage

An evacuation with limited responders

Emotional toll from the elderly and children

Dealing with patients of all ages

Finally another accident that takes out more responders

Emotion of dealing with loss of co-workers

All this while dealing with dwindling resources and alot of different age groups, symptoms, injuries, distances and emotions.

I know its totally unreal and possibly never happen but figure it would make for one hell of a MCI scenario

Yup......I'm just glad that I retired before this happened. I can watch it all on CNN, Fox, etc., while in my recliner........ at the lake cabin.......on a beautiful summer day........drinking a brewski...........wife rubbing my feet...........