Looking to start an Explorer program

rachelk64

Hey all out there in EMT City land. I am from a small town in Nebraska and of course being from a small town what are we always worried about recruiting. We are trying to look into starting what you would call an Explorer program. This would give those people out there that are of high school age or until 21 stated by our department the opportunity to experience what it is like being an EMT or a firefighter. My question to all of you out there is... does anyone have a program like this already started in your area and if so how or who can I get in contact with to see how they set it up and what the guidelines are with your departments.

Thanks!

Rachelk64

Our agency has an explorer program that has been in existence for a few years. The program is affiliated with the Boy Scouts of America, which provides recruiting help and insurance coverage. Our explorers receive initial HIPAA and OSHA training when they join. Explorers are then encouraged to ride along and to participate in patient care (under direction of a member), up to their level of training. The minimum age for CFR certification in NY is 16, and 18 for EMT. We allow explorers age 16 - 21 to participate. At one point, we had a 19 year old paramedic in the explorer program. Academics are encouraged, and explorers may ride from 0600 -2400.

We have had some pretty decent kids in our program, and I personally have had a positive experience when explorers ride on my shifts. If you have more questions, please feel free to pm me.

im not sure if there are multiple councils in nebraska, but the council that serves kearney is the overland trails council http://www.doubleknot.com/openrosters/view....asp?orgkey=836

you can double check what council serves you at www.scouting.org

contact the council service center and they can get you on the wat to your own explorer post or get you hooked up with another post so you can combine your efforts.

FYI - you will need at least 2 21 y/o people to be leaders (doubt it will be a problem), and you will also need a charter organization, btu typically in the venturing progmam you are chartered with your rescue squad or police department, other wise the rotary or lions club or a church work well.

• 2 weeks later...

www.geocities.com/sfrme

Not sure where in Nebraska you are from, but here is the website for the explorer post out of Sioux Falls, SD. If you want more info, I can get you in touch with the person who started the program.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey all out there in EMT City land. I am from a small town in Nebraska and of course being from a small town what are we always worried about recruiting. We are trying to look into starting what you would call an Explorer program. This would give those people out there that are of high school age or until 21 stated by our department the opportunity to experience what it is like being an EMT or a firefighter. My question to all of you out there is... does anyone have a program like this already started in your area and if so how or who can I get in contact with to see how they set it up and what the guidelines are with your departments.

Thanks!

Rachelk64

Check with your locaL SCOUT COUNCIL.

Yes we have one here, the best place to start is to contact your local Boy Scouts. They will get you started and give you all the info you need.

I am a huge supporter of the Explorer program, and of Scouting in general. So really, I hate to even bring this up. But man... it seems that you can't hardly open the newspaper anymore without reading about sexual misconduct between fire/police/EMS officials and the Explorers entrusted to them. Every few years, either a Fort Worth cop or Paramedic gets busted for it. When this happens, it is a HUGE publicity blow to the agency involved. And every time, everybody involved acts like they absolutely could not have conceived of such a thing happening.

Again, I support Exploring fully. But for the sake of your agency's and your own personal integrity, keep your mind and your eyes wide open to the potential for misconduct. Do some research through the Scouting council regarding the subject, as they are just as concerned about it as you are. But also do some independent research on the net and through talking to other agencies who currently or previously had Exploring programs. It would probably be helpful to seek out agencies that experienced problems and ask for their advice too, because I am sure that in retrospect, most of them have some good advice of things to do and to look for.

I agree, we have had problems with our program before. They have been weeded out and the medics involved have been delt with, the ones left cannot have riders. Our Explorer leader is very strict on his kids, he knows who is good to ride with, makes his kids stay out of trouble and keep there grades up. We have 4 or 5 medics who were in the program. Over all it is a great program. But, you must be willing to spend a lot of off duty hours with this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.