CPR While Moving

Why couldn't you justify it? You even had an order to terminate in ten minutes provided there is no ROSC.

:iiam:

How can sitting in a nursing home doing CPR for 10 min just waiting to pronounce be justified when the pt can be in the ER by then?

How can sitting in a nursing home doing CPR for 10 min just waiting to pronounce be justified when the pt can be in the ER by then?

Because the resuscitation you would be doing while attempting to package and transport would be of a decreased quality decreasing their already slim chance of survival for no reason other than to have them die somewhere else. For cardiac arrest there is nothing that can be done in hospital that is not done by a Paramedic crew. Not the mention that CPR and defibrillation are the key treatment for an arrest and that is what you're sacrificing for an unnecessary transport.

• Like 1

My medical director has no authority to change anything. It's a state decision.

I figure once the state gets rid of EOAs and starts requiring 12-leads, SPO2, and glucometers on the trucks, we MIGHT be ready to move on to 21st century medicine.

One thing at a time.

Remind me never to come get sick in your state.

Does it really matter where the patient dies? I get the impression you do not want to be the one to stop CPR on an already dead patient. Is that the case? I do not mean to accuse, but rather truly understand where your position on this issue is coming from. I have been a little antagonist here on the forum lately, but this is sincere.

I have only worked one code across from a hospital. It was in a Dr. Office. The patient was worked for approximately 20 minutes and then resuscitation efforts were ceased. Nobody thought twice about carrying the patient across the street because it was not necessary. We are capable of performing the actions needed during a cardiac arrest. Moving a patient in cardiac arrest is not in the best interest of the patient.

Remind me never to come get sick in your state.

I should have mentioned that almost everybody HAS all that non-mandatory stuff, just for some reason it isn't a mandated necessity. Some of the privates use that to their advantage cost wise, but with no place in the 911 system that's not the end of the world for anybody.

I can also count on one hand with fingers left over the number of times I've seen an EOA used- similar to our MAST devices, something that we stopped using decades ago but nobody bothered to take off the equipment list.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.