CPR While Moving

some of my partners have rode the rail and haven't flipped it, but they were small guys. our company has some larger mods that have room to move around the pt. on both side and i have been known to sit on the counter so that i'm in a better position for compressions. the only thing that i can offer is to do what works. around here you can hear it in the bays and in the front office "adapt and overcome" use your head and do what works, without taking risks that you are not comfortable with.

• Like 1

some of my partners have rode the rail and haven't flipped it, but they were small guys. our company has some larger mods that have room to move around the pt. on both side and i have been known to sit on the counter so that i'm in a better position for compressions. the only thing that i can offer is to do what works. around here you can hear it in the bays and in the front office "adapt and overcome" use your head and do what works, without taking risks that you are not comfortable with.

YOu brought up a good point. This issue also depends on the type of apparatus you have- ie is there a CPR seat. We don't, so it does get pretty crowded back there during a code.

i work in a rural area and our traffic is very sparse at many times.

I do not have a problem working a code to the hospital where I work at but only under certain criteria.

1. V-fib refractory to shocks and meds

2. Arrest in the ambulance

3. pediatric codes

Asystole NOPE

PEA after all reversible causes are addressed NOPE

If you drive safely, slowly and carefully and you have enough help in the ambulance then I'll work the code to the ER.

If the patient location is just across the street from the ER like we have a nursing home across the street, I'll shock, and then intubate and give the first round of drugs and then put em in the ambulance and transport the 1 minute to the ER. It's nice to have the extra help the ER can give.

But if the criteria for death in the field is met by that particular code then no transport.

Seeing as my state has no provision for field termination of efforts once begun, I'm trying to talk our service into getting a Lucas device. We've tried the AutoPulse and not been happy with it, but I think Lucas addresses all the issues we had with the AutoPluse with the added benefit of just giving better compressions than either we or even the AutoPulse could.

That comment was in regards to the inference that it's a waste of time to continue to do CPR if we have no ROSC.

I see. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your post. It had been an exceptionally shitty shift and I guess I just missed it.

I tend to forget about BLS crews as we are all ALS here and our Medical Director trusts us for the most part. We ( my partner and I ) will work a code on scene to the max. but no ROSC, no transport.

• Like 1

Field termination is a great thing... but there are also some situations where it might be less than appropriate or not be practical.

bigger thing - non-emergent transport of cardiac arrests. Really... I can't think of many situations where an average medic can't do everything ACLS needed.

I see. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your post. It had been an exceptionally shitty shift and I guess I just missed it.

I tend to forget about BLS crews as we are all ALS here and our Medical Director trusts us for the most part. We ( my partner and I ) will work a code on scene to the max. but no ROSC, no transport.

Not a problem.

When I first started posting here, I had a hard time remembering that this community runs the gamut of prehospital care. Volunteers, paid on call, privates, ER techs, 3rd service, hospital staffed, fire based, BLS, intermediates, paramedics- we have it all. Throw in the folks from all over the world and they have titles that I''ve never even heard of. Then, toss in the variations of system protocols and things get really interesting. Some areas are incredibly progressive, some are operating as if it's still 1977, some have all the latest toys and gadgets, while others operate on a shoestring budget.

That's why so many problems are difficult to get a handle on. What is a huge issue for my area is nonexistent elsewhere, so there is no one size fits all solution to most problems. Add to this the political drama that exists in many places- the pissing contests between fire and EMS, and it can make for a major head ache.

Geez Mobey, your a bigger pervert than I thought.

LMAO

Thanks a lot- I just spit my coffee all over my keyboard...

If you are still transporting primary arrests you need to be talking to your medical director about getting a field termination protocol.

My medical director has no authority to change anything. It's a state decision.

I figure once the state gets rid of EOAs and starts requiring 12-leads, SPO2, and glucometers on the trucks, we MIGHT be ready to move on to 21st century medicine.

One thing at a time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.