Should the H1N1 flu vaccine be mandatory for all health care workers?

VentMedic

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the H1N1 vaccine be mandatory?

• Yes for all and everyone
    • Yes for health care workers
    • No

There are some here who feel you need about 12 years of education to perform that task.

That would be great in the real world! The only argument I can foresee is protecting their area.

I remember recently going to a Provincial building for a staff member that had an 'allergic reaction' to her seasonal flu vaccination. On arrival, the patient said "I don't feel right." The public health nurse felt she needed to administer some epi 1:1000 but didn't know how much to give "so I gave it all" (1mg 1:1000) I.M. No wonder she didn't feel right.

Agreed, but as the saying goes, common sense is not very common.

There are some here who feel you need about 12 years of education to perform that task. Never mind the fact that medical assistants with a fraction of the training we have have been approved to do it.

Yes agreed but is is just common sense that we are lacking or is it more than that ? I am beginning to believe that some of the underling issues are moreover Turf Wars, the best way for governments to control is the divide and conquer, not, just as we see in the US the Medic FF / volley / Pro. The controversy here in my hood (this last news feature) division of other allied health care providers as well, so now the question in my mind is just who and why are they doing this ... it sure aint New York ... they are doing it right.

Now Facing a possible pandemic ... no wait WHO says were ARE this is a time that be must become solidified, more than ever, and it has been said many times by far more intelligent people than myself that SOLIDARITY amongst all health providers is one of the biggest faults that we suffer from.

As I was composing ... kevkie of course beats me to the punch line ... and a perfect example of "turf" Public Health RNs don't want us to assist ... but when THEY are way over heads .... who do they call?

cheers

sorry I would get into it more but busy composing a rather scathing letter to editors because I never get a response from MY elected official(s) funny thing that ? :withstupid:

edit for lack of proof reading.

Edited by tniuqs

She's smoking hot, and he's an idiot. LOL

Personally, I never thought Jim Carey was funny

The above in regards to Jim Carrey.

Jim is taking a lesson from Liberace:

Remember that bank I used to cry all the way to? I own it, now!
Edited by Richard B the EMT

The above in regards to Jim Carrey.

Jim is taking a lesson from Liberace:

Well quite clear that Richard has nothing intelligent to add to the topic thread, or maybe I am just wasting my time .

Now that was funny ....

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2009/10/29/11563116-sun.html

EDMONTON -- Alberta Health Services' latest pandemic plan says 25% of Albertans will get H1N1 flu this season and 130 to 400 people will die.

The report said the latest data suggests 875,000 Albertans will become infected during this "second wave" of H1N1.

"It is expected Alberta's total hospitalizations will range between 3,800 to as many as 11,400 patients, of whom 15% to 25% will require admission to an intensive-care unit," says the plan.

But Health Minister Ron Liepert downplayed these numbers when Liberal health critic Kevin Taft read from the pandemic response plan in the legislature yesterday.

"What this member is referring to is the absolute extreme situation," said the minister.

"And to stand in this house and say that somehow the department is predicting that hundreds of people are going to die from H1N1 is not accurate."

The swine flu outbreak has claimed a dozen lives in Alberta so far and about 200 people have been hospitalized.

But thousands of people are now reporting flu symptoms and hospitals, clinics and doctors' offices are packed.

The province began offering swine flu vaccinations this week, but people in Edmonton and Calgary were forced to wait in line for hours -- some places up to six hours -- to get their shots.

Liepert apologized Tuesday for the long lineups and said 11 more clinics were being added and 400 pharmacists across Alberta would soon be administering the vaccine."Across the province we are having obvious signs that the number of cases of H1N1 is increasing," Liepert told reporters yesterday."All I can say is that the health-care system is coping the best that it can."

Seasonal flu usually results in about 17 deaths in Alberta, but does not affect nearly as many people, says the report.

Taft says these numbers suggest Alberta's health-care system will eventually be overwhelmed with flu patients.

"Given the mess of the lineups for vaccinations, are they any better prepared at the intensive-care units? Because that's going to hit next week or the week after." Liepert accused Liberal Leader David Swann of trying to "politicize" the H1N1 pandemic."What we intend to do is ensure that as many Albertans as possible get vaccinated so that as few as possible have to use our health-care system," said Liepert.

<edit> BUT DON'T LET PARAMEDICS HELP OUT or let Calgary Paramedics inoculate First Responders I guess you can talk out your ASS ??

"Shouldn't that be what we should all be striving for instead of standing in this legislature and spreading fear?"

The minister said 100,000 doses of vaccine were administered in the first two days of the vaccination program.

Oh MR Liepert (the man supposedly in charge of health) see your previous Deputy Minister of Healths comments ...

So would on of those that die be your child of your family member ?

Oh and no response to my Phone call yet ... guess Mr Liepert does't care for tea and cookies ?

The population of Alberta is 3.5 million btw.

Why can't crews give swiney shots to other EMS, fire, police? Last year for what I think was a few weeks in a row, we had paramedics taken off the road (voluntarily) to do a flu clinic in our central station for us. Way better than standing in line for 3 hours (or 8). They're obviously competant at giving IM shots and obviously have permission from the medical director. What's the big deal? Saves time.

PA now has a program that deploys 'qualified' paramedics to district health center 'flu clinics' to assist in the administration of the H1N1 vaccine under the supervision of a district health Nurse working for the Dept of Health. Qualified medics would be paid $20.00 and are protected under the Commonwealth's liability shield.

Question: I am faced with staffing shortages on a fairly regular basis. Why would I want to encourage my medics to work for the Dept of Health when I need them HERE? Is there a shortage of available nurses?

Are you opposed to those who have the virus to be forced to not work while they have the illness? Are you opposed to companies forcing you to stay home while you are sick?

If you are infectious do you oppose requirements to stay home instead of letting you work?

My gripe is that in my opinion, it isn’t fair for someone to risk termination because they refuse to get a vaccine. Being home sick with the flu and staying home, has nothing to do with refusing a vaccine. If you were sick with H1N1, why would you want to risk getting your co-workers sick? There are ways to prevent the flu that does not include vaccination. Again, I’m not opposed to vaccination; I just don’t believe that it should be mandated.

If they put the H1N1 vaccine into an autoinjector, I'm already trained in how to use them. Actually, all the EMTs in the FDNY EMS command are so trained, as they are in the "WMD" packages on both our BLS and ALS ambulances, to be opened if and when a City-wide general order is given from both the department's command, and Medical Control.

Supposedly, the pecking order was 5 Fire Fighters under 1 EMT, 5 EMTs under one Paramedic, and 5 Paramedics under either a FDNY RN or MD. That is no longer the case, and I am going to ask, FDNY in-house, for a fast refresher on the topic, to get the correct information.

So what if I make the occasional funny? I feel it breaks any tension I perceive in the room.

If they put the H1N1 vaccine into an autoinjector, I'm already trained in how to use them. Actually, all the EMTs in the FDNY EMS command are so trained, as they are in the "WMD" packages on both our BLS and ALS ambulances, to be opened if and when a City-wide general order is given from both the department's command, and Medical Control.

Well, first the H1N1 vaccine would have to be classified as a WMD. Then they would have to develop a transport medium that would be compatible with autoinjector use (nothing at all kike an epi-pen). The use of autoinjectors at a BLS level (from my understanding) is for self rescue only, not for the general public. Even if for the general public, generally the acceptance would be the benefit of use vs. non use and even then, limited to nerve agents. The better argument would be to have Cipro autoinjectors for anthrax exposure.

Have you ever seen an autoinjector used on a live model? The only exposure I have had is with an intoxicated swine model exposed to Sarin gas (nerve agent). It's not a pretty picture. Imagine using this to immunize the general public???? I'm sure a general order will be forthcoming!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.